70's Headstock/Case Interference

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by assquatch20, Dec 14, 2019.

1. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

Anybody got one that can recommend a good case? I'm in the market but paranoid I'll get one and snap the headstock when I try to close it, given the angle isn't nearly as much. Any help is appreciated.

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ASSGCASE--gibson-accessories-sg-guitar-case?gclsrc=aw.ds&&mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=1233692296&rkg_id=0&campaigntype=dsa&campaign=aaDSA&adgroup=1233692296:DSA - Accessories&placement=google&adpos=1t1&creative=388216097512&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0NfvBRCVARIsAO4930lIf70N4euw4yZ3O-E67c1y3yd61_K6bPiATvbQz-g-G6cTmw2x9xUaAksgEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    https://www.rondomusic.com/Douglas_EGC-450_SG_Tweed_Gold.html
    Dude, it can't happen that way, assuming the guitar fits in the case and you use reasonable care. It takes a good hard fall or some drunken hooligan leaning against it on the wall to snap one.
    In fact, the one time my Gibson snapped the neck, it wasn't at the headstock. on July4th 1987 my 1959 ES 225TD was blown of the stage at a marina and hit the gravel driveway about 10 feet below.The heal separated at the body.
    The peg head was fine.
    neck fix.jpg Classic.jpg
    I am told by the fellow from whom I bought my SG classic that he was at a band practice and his drummer's wife knocked him and the guitar over when she unexpectedly drove her Grand Am into the garage.

:rofl:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    koaguilds likes this.
  3. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Do you think he is referring to case fit and neck angles instead of headstock angles? I have encountered this even though some think I don't know what I'm talking about. Try fitting a 2018 Standard with it's shallow neck angle in a factory case made for a 2012 Standard with it's steep neck angle and you get a neck that is up in the air at the headstock end.

Some of the cases would require major surgery to accommodate differing neck angles on various SG's...adjusting the heights of the neck rests and also the back of the body angled pads.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    assquatch20 likes this.
  4. assquatch20

assquatch20 Member

Yes, I'm worried about the case lid hitting the headstock because my headstock isn't angled back like most, and the cases seem to angle the neck upward quite a bit meaning a less-tilted headstock is more likely to interfere with the lid of the case, it would seem. Whether or not it matters, I dunno. That'd be why I'm here asking.