72 Deluxe missing Made in USA on the headstock.

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by blkdog8, Dec 5, 2018.

1. blkdog8

blkdog8 New Member

Just received a SG Deluxe i`m thinking is a 72 going by the pots, all seems original other than it not having the usa stamp on the headstock.. Any thoughts on this ?

IMG_1159.JPG IMG_1163.JPG 46513277_2235727296707893_4898955142243549184_n.jpg

Raymond Eriksen likes this.
  2. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

If its a 1972, it will not say “made in the USA” in 1972 there was no question where it was made.

Jesus ****, do some fucking research.

3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Probably a 73 or later.

4. Amptech

Amptech Member

"Made In USA " stamp began in 1970. If it's missing, my thoughts would be that it was very lightly imprinted at the factory. perhaps the guitar was refinished and it got sanded off in the process.

5. blkdog8

blkdog8 New Member

The research I did indicated that after 1970 it will say "made in the usa" , like my 73 and my 79, thus my question.

Who is Jesus and why are you abusing him?

Cheers.

6. blkdog8

blkdog8 New Member

Doesn`t look refinished but i`m thinking you`re correct, the serial number looks a bit retouched also...
    Has a few "whitey lunzar music ohio" stickers inside the cavity.

Attached Files:

7. Jackson44

Jackson44 New Member

I have a '72 deluxe that is stamepd made in usa. I suppose that dosent help you other than to confirm they were stamped that year. Amptech's response sounds reasonable.

8. Amptech

Amptech Member

OR, the guy in charge of stamping it, just had a senior moment, and forgot..

dub-setter likes this.
  9. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

The Made in USA stamp was first used in mid/late 1970. So a 1972 absolutely SHOULD have it.

Jesus ****, do some fucking research. Especially when you're belittling other people for not knowing something.

The Deluxe was discontinued by 1973.

Jesus ****, do some fucking research!

Apologies for the rudeness of Angel, we usually take pride in being more welcoming than the LP forums, so don't think that's how we are around here.

I believe they do it by first ink stamping under the paint and then physically stamping over the paint afterward to create those impressions. So maybe the ink stamp was dry and faint so the second stamp was just skipped.

In any case, it looks authentic so I wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy the killer tone of those T-Tops!

dub-setter and SG standard like this.
  10. blkdog8

blkdog8 New Member

Thanks for the replies, cleaned it up a bit and it sounds fantastic, not concerned about the stamp, just seemed odd, someone suggested it could be an older neck on the body as a lot of them had headstock breaks etc, but who knows really..
    Might get some covers for the pickups, otherwise i`ll leave it be..