73 Custom wiring, 3 pup

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by blkdog8, Jun 22, 2019.

1. blkdog8

blkdog8 New Member

I just got a 73 3 pup custom that had a Seymour Duncan in the bridge and a split switch wired up, luckily the original pickup came with it, sadly I can`t find an original wiring diagram for it, only 3 vol, 1 tone, which I have on my les paul and am happy enough to wire the SG this way, but i`d like to try the original first, any idea of where I can find it, tried google, Seymour Duncan etc, etc..
    Photo of after I've removed the Duncan.. Cheers.

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Do you have pics of the existing wiring?

The Duncan wired with a coil split will have four wires with a 5th bare wire for ground.

Your original pickup more than likely has only two wires, the center hot wire and the outer braided shield which is ground.

It should be just a matter of connecting the hot wire of the original pickup to the input lug of its volume pot and the braided ground to the pot casing which is ground.

Did they add another toggle switch for the coil split? If so, remove it.

3. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I thought original wiring was three volume and a master tone?

With two volume/tone and a toggle I'm not sure how you would be able to have any control over the middle pickup.

4. plankton

My curiosity needed to be satisfied. From what I read, the more traditional Gibson wiring was, treble position - bridge pickup, middle pos. - bridge and middle pickup(out of phase?), rhythm pos. - neck pickup. The neck and bridge each get their own vol/tone and the middle has nothing.

It sounds like Gibson used a different toggle switch with an extra contact to achieve this. Here's a switch diagram from Stew Mac, and although there's no schematic, it does explain fairly well how to connect things. I assume they sell the appropriate switch.

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onli...angle_Toggle_Switch_for_3-Pickup_Guitars.html

5. plankton

It's Sunday morning here and I need something to do while I enjoy my coffee.

Going down the guitar wiring rabbit hole further, here's something pretty cool I didn't know existed.

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and...nd_Parts/Switches/Free-Way_Pickup_Switch.html

I'm generally not one for crazy wiring schemes or multiple split/phase options, but it would be a good way to get some versatility from a 3 pickup Gibson-style guitar without push/pulls or adding any new switches/holes.

6. blkdog8

blkdog8 New Member

Gasket, yes the duncan was wired as you said and it does have a small added toggle switch, not sure I want to remove it and leave a small hole between the pots. Original pups are all tarbacks.

Plankton, yes the original wiring is probably a waste of time but i`d like to try it for the originality aspect, the 3 vol- 1 tone is easy enough to wire up, I might of found something on pinterest but it seems a little different from the one you posted from stewmac...
    Pic after I removed the Duncan and it`s connection to the toggle.

View attachment 36647

Attached Files:

7. blkdog8

blkdog8 New Member

It`s a mess in there, caps are running between vol and tone and both tones have one tab soldered to the pot and the other snipped off, centres to the caps...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  8. blkdog8

blkdog8 New Member

IMG_1366.JPG

Pic after I put the original back, small toggle between the pots.

9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

That's great that it still has the original pots.
    I can see the pot code 1377331.

Pot Code Format = 137YYWW
    137 = CTS
    YY = Year = 1973
    WW = Week = 31

Not a problem leaving the switch in as a placeholder to fill the hole, just disconnect the wiring from it if wanting to restore back to original wiring scheme.

From what I can see in the control cavity, it appears to be wired for two pickups only, with a coil split.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  10. plankton

You've got the right switch, and the nice thing about open switches is that it's real easy to tell how to wire them up to get what you want. If you look at the info on Stew Mac and compare it to the switch in your guitar you should be able to figure it out. Worst case is you have to wire it up and play around a bit to get what you want. Good luck!

11. blkdog8

blkdog8 New Member

OK, well I wired it up the original way with the out of phase middle and it`s not for me, so I `ll go with the 3 volume mod like my les paul, much more usable I think..

plankton likes this.