73 SG Custom. Pickup suggestions

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by moonatic2u, Dec 4, 2018.

1. moonatic2u

moonatic2u New Member

So I picked up a 1973 SG Custom walnut finish last week. Great condition but of course someone along the way swapped out the pups with some unpotted pups that look to be japanese. No markings but god the squeal. Neck is the only pup I can get a decent sound out of. I went into it knowing the pups had been swapped but I seen what it could be and having such a great acoustical sound not even being plugged in I wasn't shy. Sooo if there is any SG custom owners here with some ideas on which set and what would make a great middle pickup I would appreciate it.

Raymond Eriksen likes this.
  2. Billy B

Billy B New Member

I'm a fan of the Dimarzios...the 36th Anny PAF's are pretty affordable ($75 @ Guitar Center.) and will give you some wiring options and "Modern Vintage" tones...I also like the Guitar Fetish P-90's (Dream 90 I think)...about $40 and they sound great.
    Could be a nice combo with 2 of the Dimarzios and a Dream 90 in the middle.
    The Dream 90's are a direct fit for a standard humbucker rout!
    I put a 'push/pull" pot on my Black Beauty so that I could turn the middle pup on and off with it...that way I could have just the classic "neck/Bridge" range of tones and then turn the middle one on at will...the way the Black Beauty came from the factory was "middle pup ON all of the time" no matter the position of the toggle...kinda strange really...
    Anyway...that's my 2 cents:)

bwotw and Raymond Eriksen like this.
  3. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

I have a 76 that has Tarbacks in it. Originals were possibly T Tops in yours - one of my favorite pups, I put a set in my Epi LP. I also have a set of EMG and a Lindy Fralin Pure Paf and a 498T which are not in any guitars

4. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

What pickups would sound best, depends on what kind of music you play. Give us a hint, before we can make informed guesses.

Raymond Eriksen likes this.
  5. moonatic2u

moonatic2u New Member

Hey thanks so far for your suggestions. Let's see for this guitar I was looking for a sound between mid 60's to 80's. Maybe the dirtiest would lean more towards Gary Moore's dirty blues at extremes. It has all the original wiring and pots date to 73. So I was going to try and keep it that way if I could. Just a childhood dream that I finally said " f it" before I talked myself out of it.

6. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

AngelDeVille likes this.
  7. moonatic2u

moonatic2u New Member

Those would be a sweet set. I can't believe I didn't think of T tops. Was looking on reverb when I seen the post come thru.
    I knew you guys would have some great ideas.

8. moonatic2u

moonatic2u New Member

Say , can you snip the connector off the end of a gibson quick connect and still solder it old school?

9. Raymond Eriksen

Raymond Eriksen Active Member

Hi there!
    I dont know, but if you want a PAF-type pu that is more open than a Classic 57, with a little more highs, not so "compact", I recommend Bare Knuckles' Riff Raff. (Alnico 5 and 8.2 kΩ). IMO this is a very good pu for rock, hard rock, punk, metal, but it also cleans up extremely good. When rolled back in overdrive mode, it delivers beautiful clean sound instantly. And of course it works just sweet with distorted tones:D

The Riff Raff sounds stellar in bridge position on my Standard with a 1987x Marshall top, and I'm sure it would fit your Custom too, its a great pup. I believe its not too far from early '60s PAFs, and its not too far from Gibsons 61T either. (The 61T is also a very good option IMO)

Theres tons to choose from, but if you want "authentic" 1960-PAF-sound - and dont want too get ruined - I dont think you be will too way off with the Riff Raff or the 61.. Just my two cents.

10. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion: from what I've seen, 73 SG Customs have the bridge pickup WAY up, very far from the bridge. My guess is that it will have naturally a more rounded and bassy tone than most other SGs. So, I would go for a really bright pickup, if you get one that sounds thick and bassy, the sound might get muddy very soon.

11. moonatic2u

moonatic2u New Member

Yes I believe your right. I am waiting for a set of wolfetone T-tops to get here from Seattle. Still have decided on what will be middle pickup and the wiring sequence. I do have a set of Dimarzio SD's and dirty fingers which I'm sure would breath some fire in the bridge . Just going to take my time and use my ears. Only adjusting so far was cranking down the middle pup and now no contact with pick..Lol.

12. dub-setter

dub-setter Active Member

PICS please...! ;)

13. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

14. Jackson44

Jackson44 New Member

Seymour Duncan '59. I have a set in a '90's epiphone les paul and also have aIbanez SZ4020FM with a '59 neck and a '59 custom/hybrid in the bridge possition...great from classic to hard rock but comes with the price tag of a Duncan.

bwotw likes this.