So, my oldest friend has been through a number of mods since I bought it in 1983. It was originally a standard cherry with a repaired headstock and serious buckle rash on the backside. The case has a giant Boy Scouts fleur-de-lis decal remnant, so I'm guessing it was a summer camp guitar in the '70s. For the beancounters, S/N: 123195, pot codes are March, 1974. I refinished it in 1988 (poorly), and redid it in the last decade. Somewhere along the line, I lost the original pickguard and the pickup ring mounting holes went from misaligned (the only real original factory flaw) to completely unusable. I solved this at one point by seating PEM nuts in the back of the guitar and running machine screws through the body. Not perfect, but it worked. The control mounting holes were also shot, so I did what any good luthier (cough) would do and cut that section out. To make things right with the world, I needed to make a new pickguard/control cover - one that would also facilitate pickup mounting. Having never been a fan of the original tarbacks (mud anyone?) I've had a variety of pickups in it over the years as well. I've never quite found what I was looking for, but I know what I want to get out of it. I want a clear, low-output in the neck (I have one in my FrankenPaul of unknown origin that sounds amazing) and a slightly warm, moderate-output in the bridge. In digging through my bucket-o-parts, I discovered a DiMarzio Super 2, which is intended as a neck pickup and was at one time in the neck position of this guitar. Close, but too warm for the neck, but perfect for the bridge. I also discovered that the (very bright and clear) Duncan in my F-Paul bridge is a Duncan SH2N. It's too bright for the bridge in that guitar and lo and behold, it's intended for the neck position anyway. Problems solved. I will likely need to flip the magnet in the Super 2 to keep the polarities correct for their respective positions. Here is where I confess my biggest sin: It has been unstrung for 2 1/2 years. It might take a while for the neck to settle back in, but this isn't the first time it's been left unstrung as my mods have never been speedy. The last time it had a lot of funky overtones when restrung, but these go away pretty quickly. Also, it's a 40+ year old chunk of wood, so it's stable. Without further ado, porn: Final pickguard shaping and pickup knockout roughs The coats are stacking up. Ultimately, the pickguard will also be veneered with something woody and not black, but right now, I want to get it up and running and play the damn thing. Two volume controls (500K), no tone pots, standard pickup selector switch, two coil-split double-to-single switches. That's how the F-Paul is set up and I'm really happy with it. The F-Paul is the next candidate for some serious maintenance.