89 -90 sg400

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by alans sg, Aug 17, 2014.

1. alans sg

alans sg Well-Known Member

Hi , going to check out one of these hopefully tomorow , neck binding - check , open book headstock - check , can't wait :thumb: and aye ESG , i'll get pics up as soon as i get it home :thumb: , cheers
    Alan

2. Goldmember

Goldmember Well-Known Member

Alan, if this turns out to be a success, you should celebrate by enjoying at least one (but not more than eight) of these: :naughty:
    [​IMG]

alans sg likes this.
  3. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Love the Goblins ...we have a package store here that specializes in "rare" European beverages....THANK THE LORD because other wise I would have to move. ;)

alans sg, Goldmember and JohnnyGoo like this.
  4. alans sg

Hi guys , well i got it and it's a heavyish lump of sg , and there's none of that veneer malarky on the body and the contours are rather nice :applause: , it's not minty but it is a 25 year old guitar , there's some dings and scratches and a couple of bit of the poly chiped off , it needs a nut and a fret dress oh and it's already stripped down for a thorough clean up , anyways here's some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i'm thinking of leaving the finish as is , the poly is much thinner on this than the modern ones , i'm liking it so far , cheers
    Alan

5. alans sg

Oh and almost forgot , washing the lot down with a few hobgoblins :applause:
    cheers
    Alan

dub-setter likes this.
  6. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

hi alan ,
    congrats..

i like the look of this one
    ( it has its history..:)
    especially the faded white plastic around the humbucker-covers..

would be interesting to know if there is a big difference from
    nowadays produced epis..

(could it be produced by samick, that years??)

salute,
    lars

alans sg likes this.
  7. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Interesting. My 1989 Epiphone catalog only shows the G-400 with an unbound neck and dot inlays, and I've only ever seen them like that before. Trapezoid inlays weren't introduced until '96. Any signs of a replaced fretboard?

In any case, that's an awesome score! I've noticed the finish on my Samick SG-450 is thinner than modern Epis as well. Really makes it resonate and sustain nicely. Enjoy man!

alans sg likes this.
  8. alans sg

Hi , Lars , i do believe it was made at the samik factory
    PTL , i gave it a good look over and it's deffo all original , no replaced neck or fretboard , and it's a one piece body as well , cheers
    Alan

9. PermissionToLand

Well you may have quite a rare bird on your hands there. The serial number dates it to 1990, so maybe for that one year they upgraded it before the headstock was redesigned. I haven't found any catalogs from 1990 to confirm or deny though.

10. alans sg

Hi , i've been doing some digging and it might be a model made for the market in Japan , and as you say it seems to be quite rare , RESULT :)
    cheers
    Alan

11. Barcham

Barcham Member

That's not a Japanese Domestic Market guitar but it is a pretty rare one. A JDM guitar would have the full style Gibson headstock, not the trimmed down Epi version. I've seen a couple like this in the past but not very many. They seem to be quite rare. If you look at it from the back, you will also see the neck joint on the body is considerably longer than any other Epi SG and this guitar will be much better balanced for your strap.

It's a shame that one of the tuners has been replaced but you could probably find a proper replacement without too much trouble.

She's a beauty!! Congrats! :thumb:

12. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Very very nice SG alan.it has character

13. rlh5599

rlh5599 Member

Nice find!!

14. PermissionToLand

Yeah it's probably not a JDM model because they got Orvilles at the time. The heel is typical for G-400s of that era though. Maybe it was a limited run for certain dealers? I'm really stumped on this one because at the time, Epiphone's lineup was still pretty thin and they didn't do many limited runs.

I agree that it looks WAY better without the stripey African Mahogany veneer. Please tell me you're going to replace those PUP rings and knobs though!

15. Barcham

Barcham Member

Yeah! The pup rings have to be replaced with black ones and those amber knobs must be destroyed with fire!!!!! :D

alans sg likes this.
  16. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Man Alan what a score she is a beauty and that head stock is so cool...... It is like a cross between a Gibby and an Epi.. I must admit I have not seen one like that in person ever.

Congratulations!!!

alans sg likes this.
  17. g8tr

g8tr Member

Have 2 89 LPs and an 89 PR350, never seen an SG from that time until now. Great looking guitar! The fact that it's a one piece body it's certainly a plus. :wow:

alans sg likes this.
  18. Nop

Nop Member

I'm also suprised by the binding and inlays. I had a 94, and even at this time they were with no binding and dot.
    Are you sure this is "stock" fretboard ?
    I made some research and I don't find anything. I was sure, but maybe i'm wrong, that Epiphone didn't put binding and trapezoidal inlays before 96.

But this is a nice looking guitare

alans sg likes this.
  19. alans sg

hi guys and sorry for the very late reply , been having net probs here , and thanks for the kind words on the new sg , here's another one i found on the net ,old epiphone sg400 help please!!! - Gibson Guitar Board , and as for the plastic s on the guitar , the offending items have been removed , and the guitar is now sporting a set of witch hats and black pup rings with a 490 pup in the neck and a pearly gates in the bridge (for the moment) , the electrics have been replaced with cts and switchcraft gubbins and it's been wired 50's style , i'll get some pics up later , cheers
    Alan

20. PermissionToLand

In your link, the sticker on the neck joint says "G-400R". I'm guessing whatever that R denotes, it's referring to the bound neck. And being made in March of '89, that kills my theory of it being unique to '90 models. So it must have been a limited run sold alongside the regular G400.

alans sg likes this.