90’s English Heavy Metal

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by tomwilson74, Jan 31, 2019.

1. tomwilson74

tomwilson74 New Member

Looking for that Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/Saxon sound. Probably getting the Orange Micro Dark and a 2 x 12 cabinet. Either the Marshall or Randall 2 x 12 cabinet. The amp and cabinet come in under my $500 budget. Anyone have any experience with either cab? I recently played thru a friends Orange and loved it. It was they a 4 x 12 though. Can’t remember the model numbers of the 2 x 12’s but they were in the $275 range on GC website.

2. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Don't take this the wrong way but if that's the kind of tone you are looking for I think you are going to be pretty disappointed by the Micro Dark. I know I was when I had one - it was a fizzy, ill-defined mess until it was basically dimed, and only sounded good through a 4x12.

3. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

The Randall RG 2x12 cab likely used non-branded speakers. They might be great, but I couldn't say from experience. The Marshall MX 2x12 cab uses Celestion 70/80 speakers which are... Okay... In a closed-back cab. Kind of a cheaper, fizzier Vintage 30.

If you're willing to take a small risk and you're patient (if it comes damaged or DOA, it might be a pain shipping it back), you could always go with a Harley Benton G212 Vintage from Thomann in Germany. International shipping is surprisingly cheap - you can get the cab on your doorstep for around 225 bucks. It's also loaded with two genuine Celestion Vintage 30 speakers, and reviews and impressions are almost universally positive, even from American buyers.

tomwilson74 likes this.
  4. Chubbles

Chubbles Active Member

Priest/Maiden, good choice. Good luck in attaining you goal. It sounds like a challenge. I've aquired a ton of pedals during my searches.

tomwilson74 likes this.
  5. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

If you're meaning those band's early 80s sounds it was pretty much basically Gibson, Fender and Marshall's across the board, usually with not much between the guitars and the amps.

Priest was mostly an SG / Flying V combo. Maiden was a Strat / LP thing, while Saxon usually ran the White SG and the black Strat.

By the time the 90s came around almost all of them had switched their stuff around, added more effects and kind of tried to modernize for commercial reasons- to include that stupid synth guitar KK was using. But back in the earlier days the most you would hear any of the use would have been some wah, chorus or something simple like that.

So really it depends on which time frame you're looking for. By the 90s, Priest and Maiden were heading into more flashy sounds and gimmicks while Saxon, Riot (from NY) and a few others took a turn toward Power / Death metal.

cerebral gasket and Ray like this.
  6. ungarn

ungarn New Member

I think the Marshall DSL line would be a better choice, especially used. On tight budget EHX Metal Muff w/ Top Boost is Judas Priest inabox.