A fruitless plea/rant

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

When I was being a parent, I was not a strict disciplinarian, but I did require civility. One of my pet peeves was the indefinite response to a question or statement in some cases, "Whatever."
    Any time one of my kids responded with "whatever," I said, "No, not 'Whatever'..." and then made them explain in detail. It made them use their brains and focus. After a couple of weeks, they stopped saying "Whatever" and gave intelligible responses.
    I realized that my small victory was a drop in the ocean and that society was on the way to ruin because no one gave a damn about truth or accuracy.
    The last week has proven me right again. My missus requires specialized medical care. Her primary care physician is two towns over, about a forty mile round trip. Last Monday she had a scheduled appointment with him and so we made the considerable preparations for her trip, got to the appointment a few minutes early and tried to check in. "Oh you must be mistaken, there are no appointments scheduled today." says obviously straight out of career college medical tech behind the counter. I showed him the appointment card from our previous visit showing that clearly we did. "Must've been a computer glitch, no sweat, we'll get you in first thing on Friday." I pointed out that she was scheduled for surgery on the third of next month and that some tests were required. "We'll get all that done on Friday." "For sure?" "For sure, man."
    First thing Friday turned out to be a two hour wait, followed by a screwed up EKG on the tech's part, but he let us leave knowing full well that the strip was useless.
    Phone call, Friday night 19:30: "Hello, Biddlin, this is Dr. F*****, listen, I was just going over the ekg and my new tech screwed it up. I'm gonna give you a referral to a lab where they can get it done right." "In time for the surgery?" "Sure, you should have no problem."
    Saturday morning, I have a 13:00 appointment with a Firestone dealer to get 4 new tires, so I feed pets, fix breakfast, get all of my missus' meds laid out and make sure she's ok and leave a little after noon. At the appointed time, I have a computer print-out to prove it, the guy behind the counter, said "Hi, how can I help you?" I identified myself, showed him my appointment confirmation and he looked back blankly,"OK, you set it up online?" Oh dear lordy no..."Yes, that's how I got the appointment confirmation." "OK, so you want 4 tires today?" "Yes, it's all in the form I filled out last week to make the appointment." "For the Towncar, right?" (Argghhhhhh) "Yes, should I have driven a different one?" small chuckle from another customer, frown from "Ken" at the counter. "Well, see you need 17/60 R and I don't have 'em in stock, but I can get 'em from our sister store in Stockton in three or four hours, but we won't have time to put 'em on today. How about tomorrow at 1:00 pm?" "OK, tomorrow I'll be here at 1:00 and you'll take the car in the bay and put the tires on and do an alignment, right?" "You got it, boss."
    same routine Sunday morning. Arrive at Firestone on time. Car doesn't see the service bay until 2:30 They ding a rim and center cover. I leave without violence, but just barely.
    Monday morning get missus up and dressed arrive at lab at their 9 am opening time, first at the counter, Dr's order, medicare and insurance cards in hand. Receptionist, gazing at lab order:"This don't look like somethin' we do. Let me get one of the techs." She returns and assures me that the tech will be with us shortly, move aside. Ten or so minutes later a lab coated person comes to the desk, looks at our order and asks, "Is this from your doctor?""Yes, that's why he gets to put MD after his name." "There's no need for sarcasm, sir." "Is there some problem with the order, miss?" "We don't do this test here. I'll ax this over to our central office and someone will help you." She walked away apparently to a fax machine, returning a couple of minutes later to take me by the elbow and drag me to a wall phone:"She'll answer in a minute." and walked away. In fact someone did answer, they hadn't seen a fax, "Tell the tech to refax it." "The tech is gone, I'm in a hallway with my paraplegic wife so I guess I'll have to shout for someone.""Whatever, I can't help you if I don't at least know the fax number or get another fax."
    "HELLO!" 45 seconds pass. "HELLO" 30 seconds pass. "HELLO" "You need to calm down sir." from the new tech who finally came to scold me. "I need you to speak to this person, please?" She reluctantly takes the phone and the two "caregivers" agree to put me in the middle again. "I'm going to fax the order again (like it's my fault) you behave and wait for her." hands me the phone again. Ten minutes later the "scheduler gets on the line and gives me the first appointment, two weeks hence. come home, get missus who is in tears about having to postpone the surgery and from hours or travel and pain all for nothing settled in, or at least subdued and spend the rest of the day cancelling surgery and other pre-op tests.
    With the exception of her 65 year-old doctor, NONE of these "professionals" apologized in any fashion for causing us such gross inconvenience, much less acknowledging their own failure to provide good service. The lab staff seemed offended that I expected them to solve the problem without putting me on the phone and just walking away. The one thing all of the people I dealt with, except Dr. F*****, have in common: They are all under 50 years old.
    They have no social skills beyond online etiquette, no pride in their work and exhibit little interest in improvement. I think the next time one of the dears says something like"Sarcasm isn't necessary." my response will be,"Would you prefer profanity or should we just get down to personal insults and physical threats."

2. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Member

Wow, what a bad adventure, friend... They should be the most competent people in their job, and they aren't....

3. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Well-Known Member

i admire your restraint, Sir.
    Had that happened to me, i'm afraid 5-0 would have been called in before the dust settled.

Layne Matz likes this.
  4. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

I agree, you have the restraint of a leopard. Especially given the circumstances. I like to think not all younger generations are or will be that way. Maybe its Millenials, or the lack of will to work to live. Either way these people show a serious lack of empathy that should be critical to the job and human nature. Im sorry that you have to go through so much in order to help the ones you love.

Hope the missus gets the neccissary treatment she needs. Thanks for sharing this tale woe with us, it helps to put things in perspective. Can I ask what state this in and what insurance company you are with?

My mother had some problems with her liver last year and after many tests and doctors as well as being given the runaround for a month, they still wouldnt tell her exactly what was wrong just that it could be lethal if she didnt take it easy on her liver, she switched to a higher price insurance and "Voila" they know exactly what's wrong and how to fix it.

You might recieve better care from a red-eyed witch doctor, at least he isnt in it for the money. Theres something to be said for that.

5. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Ummm hope things go better down the road.

Medical treatment and quality of care is all over the map. My two daughters are both in that field ( along with wife ) and some systems and offices are first rate ... other places vary considerably.

It's not going to get better in the US as our population ages and the amount of care required increases and the bills for ( great / good / so so / fair / poor / awful ) care go higher and higher.

Best luck!

6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Active Member

What is happening, is that "cheating" is no longer a fault, but a skill. Lying is cheating, but no longer considered taboo. We celebrate the really good cheaters in life in the form of "business accumen", or "risk-based" behavior, if you can find a way to bend the rules, or even break them without getting caught, its considered brilliant. We even celebrate when successful [insert any occupation or identity here] lie to our faces, we know they are lying, but we value the outcome moreso, we learn that lying is a tool to get what you want, and its ok. May the best liar win is now a legal axiom. You said it - truth and accuracy have become liabilities, not requirements.

syscokid and Biddlin like this.
  7. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Member

These are the people who grew up receiving trophies for poor performance, commenters on their facebook and instagram telling them how great they are. Mommy and daddy assuring them they are truly special. They don't understand competence, they don't feel empathy. The world revolves around them, you and I are just an annoyance that have to bare until they can get back to their snapchat and twitter.

Welcome to the future, try not to upset the vegan, non binary, soy infused, environmentally conscious, narcissistic, easily triggered, safe space, self centered masses.

They are running things now.

jjudas and Daniel.S like this.
  8. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

Yup. Everyone gets a trophy. Win/Loose is not relevant anymore. If we had Win/Loose criteria in life, little Insert name would be discriminated against and have to sue. Although well intended, the ADA is a giant step backwards in promoting the survival of the human race.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  9. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."
    - Attributed to Peter the Hermit, 1274.

Dig around, and you'll find plenty of similar quotes through the ages.

Fifty years ago young people were turning on, tuning in and dropping out, whilst raising a digit to the establishment and protesting at every opportunity. Fifty years before that, a generation watched as their finest were sent to their slaughter in the battlefields of WWI. Now I know some of those who survived went on to admire the independence, free thinking, and spirit of the hippies. But others spoke of them in the same (or much worse) terms being used in this thread.

Some things never change.

Didds likes this.
  10. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I can say I’ve experienced similar to Biddlin’s OP from time to time, and it is disturbing when it happens in something as critical as health care.

But, I do have to say some of the younger IT techs at work are very impressive. We’ve had some who really know their stuff and stick with the job until it’s done.

I used to have one young programmer who worked for me who was hard to keep occupied because he’d get his work done so quickly that I’d run out of meaningful work for him. He was a quick learner, very proactive, and he never complained - kind of your quintessential “rat on crack.” He eventually resigned - probably because he wanted to do more than I could give him at the time. I tried to keep his interest by enrolling him in every training opportunity I could find for him. I was sorry to see him leave.

Not all the millenials are bad apples.

Didds likes this.
  11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Active Member

Dig around, and you can find a lot of historical pain and suffering as folks talk themselves into hysteria and riots/revolution over the wrong stuff. Even fifty years ago. How many assassinations and attempts occurred during that decade? Lets don't debate it, but lets admit its rational and not obscure to view the protest behavior of that decade as reactionary, and not productive in achieving the stated purpose. There was a better way.

Some things never change. But they can if we want them to. I wasn't targeting age groups by the way, but I am suggesting we've seen a paradigm shift in acceptable behavior, towards lying and cheating, not isolated to youth and newer generations.

12. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Absolutely. My point was that when the 70 year olds of 50 years ago where watching the 20 year olds of the day immerse themselves in 'counter culture', they would've had a few things to say about the 'youth of today'. And those youths are now the 70 year olds of today, and some of them are very quick to condemn the current youth population.

I say, give 'em a break. They don't have the luxury of dropping a tab, dropping out of free education, and expect to pick up a job-for-life in an endlessly growing economy that's devouring the worlds resources. Instead, they've got to pay their way through college, enter a job market where AI is likely to replace them within a decade or two, and try to keep jumping from one insecure gig economy job to the next as they struggle to stay afloat. All in a society that seems to be hell bent on turning them into raving narcissists.

As you can probably tell from my lack of a direct quote, my post wasn't a direct response to anyone here. I realise you weren't making a generational comment - but I'm also not sure quite what evidence there is for your argument. For example, "We celebrate the really good cheaters in life in the form of "business accumen", or "risk-based" behavior, if you can find a way to bend the rules, or even break them without getting caught, its considered brilliant." - This would perfectly describe how the business and financial world began to operate in the deregulated environment created in the 80s under the political leaders of that decade. I'd argue that, since the credit crunch a decade ago, there has been a slight shift away from this, in terms of how acceptable it is to the public (at least those that care/notice), and some political parties. At the least, I don't think it's got worse than it was 30 years ago, which is when real changes did take place.

As for lying: "We even celebrate when successful [insert any occupation or identity here] lie to our faces, we know they are lying, but we value the outcome moreso, we learn that lying is a tool to get what you want, and its ok." - I'm not sure this works as a generalisation. It's certainly true that, in the USA and Russia (for example), there's a proportion of people who are seemingly happy to be lied to, know what they're hearing is a lie, and will even defend the liar by saying 'all politicians lie'. But, of course, in the past, in democracies, politicians lied whilst trying to maintain the appearance of truth, in other words, they couldn't blatantly lie; their audience needed to believe it, and fact checking that might expose their lie would expose them to real risk. This 'new' political approach of blatant, multiple lies whilst calling the truth 'fake news' has been around in Russian politics for a long time - just look at their response the the shooting down of a Malaysian airliner over Ukraine - but it's new in America. But is it really a change beyond American politics, (I really don't know, I'm not part of American society), and is it going to endure? I'm not sure. Certainly lying - and even the celebration of successful lying - has been around for as long as humans have.

Didds likes this.
  13. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

One of these things is not like the other?

Ouch yes there is no shortage of younger people like that probably but apparently also no shortage of older people like that either. I don't think you can explain Hitler or Mussolini or ( you know who I mean ha ha ) with facebook ...

There continue to be a huge number of dedicated extraordinarily hard working people in the medical care field and everywhere really. It may be hard to see that at times as OP describes in his post.

Lets hope things get better for OP!

Music is one of many things that can result in positive change at times. It can also trigger outrage and political statements. I don't think we can do much here about that but continue to do what small things and acts of kindness and well professional competence where relevant.

Didds likes this.
  14. drown

drown Well-Known Member

I'm only 44 but I paid my way through college working service jobs and doing labor work. I learned the value of my time, other people's time and some work ethics that seem to be absent from everyone i deal with here. I feel your frustration. But I don't blame them entirely. Society has failed them too. The hard work I did and was rewarded for no longer delivers the good in many parts of this country. We have devalued it and so have the people who do it. So we get cheap labor and no service.

Good luck with all this.

15. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

I ca
    n relate to this as I see kids my age (25) getting into the Facebook and Instagram hype of being better than everyone else.
    I work in a fruit and veg shop so I come across all kinds of people that want to speak about politics and being vegan and all that crap that I’m not into, then when I tell them that I have no interest they look at me funny.

I believe in hard work and all the money I’ve gotten over the years are from MY hard work and so I appreciate and want to look after anything I purchase with said money.

Didds likes this.
  16. jtees4

jtees4 Active Member

I totally get it, and feel your pain. The world has lost an entire generation, and is on the verge of losing another one. It's really a shame. Now, get off my lawn!!!! :cool:

Biddlin likes this.
  17. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

I am really sorry to hear this pal, although I wish I could say I am surprised.

This bs happens daily now, to almost all of us. The thing is, we have become so used this deflection of responsibility and the fact that we didn’t deal with a “face” originally so we struggle to hold someone accountable. Mean while the incompetent person they hired behind the desk tries to amend the wrong of the online system or their fellow incompetent co-worker.

To be honest I roll with the punches more often than not. But occasionally they stack up (as they have in your story). And I express my frustration.

I am a fairly young man, mid 30’s. I grew up with strong responsibility. Showing up to work on time, honesty and integrity above all else, were (quite literally) driven into me. And I look back and thank my father; again quite literally.

Due to all of this I have taken it upon myself to learn many crafts. Not major hurdles by any stretch, but the little things that companies hire incompetent people to perform. Oil changes, basic carpentry, electrical, tree falling, home maintenance etc. I am not a professional at these things, but I am willing to learn. And when I rest my head at night, I rest easy, because I have completed my own job so I am tired, but more importantly because I know how it was done and that it was done right.

There is always times you need a certified mechanic, or an electrician, or roofer, whatever. But gone are the days where any of us can flip through the yellow pages (sorry... “Google”) a company, hire them online with short notice and expect them to show up and perform a quality job.

Don’t even get me started on warranties or standing behind workmanship.

Biddlin likes this.