A new Javamagic project - or two.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by javamagic, Sep 1, 2012.

1. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I've done any guitar making - I think my last completed project was the Cipollina Tribute SG about three years ago - but an ebay buy last December got my brain working and a bit of online research turned up some inspiration.

What I bought was a pair of Kent Armstrong toaster-top pickups and initially I had no idea what I was going to use them on. With a bit of browsing I found an interesting thread on My Les Paul by ltdave32 in which he made a John Lennon style Rick 325. I found the construction process very interesting and realised that it was pretty much the same for the majority of Rick models.

I didn't want a 325 (Though I know a man who does. More later.) but I did like the idea of having an early 360 Capri. More research found some nice pics which I enlarged to full size and printed off to make templates. Luckily for me there is a good supplier of hardwoods locally and a visit to his yard found some nice 9"x2" maple which would make the bodies along with some other maple and walnut for the necks.

I've used the plural because chatting with another ETSG member about my idea for a Capri made him think that he had always wanted a JL type 325. An arrangement was agreed and I began work on two Rick copies. Progress has been a bit slow (for various reasons) but I have something to show at last. Below are the ply templates for the guitars alongside the maple blanks. The 325 image is in negative in case you were wondering. Shows up better on the template.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also managed to glue the neck blanks together. Maple/walnut/maple for the 360 and three-piece maple (for strength) for the 325. The "pins" at either end are 3mm drill bits used to keep the parts aligned when gluing up.

[​IMG]

A bit of time spent on the bandsaw at work got the body blanks roughed out.

[​IMG]

That's all so far but I'm hoping to get the bodies shaped properly next week and then begin on the hollowing out. :)

Alex_SG likes this.
  2. DavidJ

DavidJ Active Member

Looking forward to this thread JM - pix please...... :)

3. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

Very cool! Like Dave, I can't wait to see more. Best of luck finding some spare time. I know how tough it is.

4. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

Wow :wow:

Looking good, JM

5. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

Looks great so far....I'll be watching ! :wow:

6. javamagic

Afte a bit of a break, and retrieving some of my tools and stuff from Ireland, I've made a little bit of progress on the Rick builds. Only pics of the 325 at present but truss rods have been routed into both necks and some of the surplus timber removed. Also added the wings to sides of the head area - maple on the 325, walnut on the 360. Here's the 325 neck and fingerboard on my kitchen sink waiting for the hide glue to cook on the hob.

[​IMG]

The small blocks are to locate the fingerboard in the right place. Things have a tendency to slip when the cramps are tightened.

[​IMG]
    Five cramps should hold it.

BTW, the fingerboard is padauk. Very red!!! May go a bit browner over time. Who can tell? :dunno:

More to follow when I can get the time and motivation. :)

SG John likes this.
  7. SG John

Nice! Glad to see you're getting a bit of work done. Thae Padauk looks lovely. Are you going to lacquer the finger board the way Rickenbacker does? I think it'll look great.
    :applause:

8. javamagic

I thought about that but, after looking at lots of pics of old Ricks, there doesn't appear to be lacquer on the fingerboards of the early models. In a way I'm very glad as it saves me a nightmare of scraping frets clean after finishing. :)

9. DavidJ

DavidJ Active Member

Blimey that is red!

Keep the pics coming JM!

10. Strange Brew

superb, JM!

11. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

love the build threads. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

12. javamagic

I'm going to party like it's 1999!!!!!

Well this will be my 1,999th post so here we go...

Here's a quick snap of the 325 neck with headstock partly shaped, fingerboard radiused, inlaid and fretted.

[​IMG]

For those interested in such things the radius is a compound from 10" to about 14" and the scale is 22 1/2" rather than the really short scale of the original. Nut width is about 44mm and the fretwire is (my favourite) Dunlop 6170. All these features were requested by the person who commissioned the guitar.

The fingerboard beside it is for the 360. You may be able to make out the fret slots (standard 24 3/4" scale) and the edges rebated for binding. This one also has the compound radius that I've been using (unwittingly) on my guitars since 1978!

Both neck and fingerboard are sitting on the bookmatched maple that will make the backs of both guitars. Nice figuring. Just a pity it's not on the top. :dunno:

More soon. :)

SG John likes this.
  13. SG John

Lookin' Good!

14. Strange Brew

Can't wait to see these develop.... great work JM

15. javamagic

For those of you who have been wondering what's happening with the neck for the 360, here's some news.

I cut the pearl inlays the other day when rain stopped my work and managed to rout out the fingerboard with the Dremel and get the inlays glued in.

[​IMG]

I used the Dremel again to trim them back flush with the edge of the fingerboard and then filed the edge to true it all up. Over the weekend I've sanded them down flush...

[​IMG]

.. and glued the binding and cut the frets.

[​IMG]

Then it was just a matter of knocking them in.

[​IMG]

I have done a little bit of shaping on both necks but won't bother to post any pics until I'm happy with the end results. In the meantime I really need to sort out the bodies, both of which have given me some headaches. All will become clear in time. ;) :thumb:

16. DavidJ

DavidJ Active Member

Looking the absolute dog's JM!

17. SG John

That's looking killer. Love it!

:applause:

18. javamagic

Now that warm weather has returned to the UK - well, the south-east at least - I can get in the shed and do some work on the R*** models. I'll take some pics soon and post them to update on the progress. :)

19. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Good stuff !

20. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

Looking good. Can't wait to see the finished product.