About time Gibson....

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Bad Penguin, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

2. Westernrider

Westernrider Active Member

Next, I would like to see Gibson ease the requirements for privately owned stores [ Mon and Pop businesses ] to stock some Gibsons and Epiphones. The amount of stock and what must be stocked has made Gibson prohibitive for too many stores, especially the smaller local stores that depend upon a local market and maybe some internet sales.

And Gibson is a _____ about advertising their instruments on line for smaller dealers that are able to carry the guitars.

Please note that I am NOT talking about lowering their prices but increasing their availability.

As a youngster, I could buy guitars and even afford a real Fender without much problem. I bought my first Gibson at a family run music store that sold band instruments, a few pianos and an organ or two, a couple of Kay Guitars, Ampeg amps, a couple of Fender guitars and amps -like the Bandmaster.... and the beautifully stunning Gibsons. A single pickup Firebird sold for $149 dollars. Had to work an afterschool job to save money and I finally bought an ES-125 back then and I have no idea of what happened to it - a mystery of past ages. Back then Gibsons were expensive and Epiphones were still more costly.

Hearing people today complain about the cost of a Gibson, I believe that many people just don't know the heritage of the Gibson guitar.

Cheers and have a Chicago Handshake.

3. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

Taylor, paging Bob Taylor......................

He understands how to build a great guitar company and I think he and Kurt would understand and create a culture that is both innovative and would be respectful of Gibson's amazing heritage.

He might even move Gibson back to Kalamazoo and welcome back the Heritage orphans to help understand and guide the future of Gibson's Legacy.

Could you imagine? Gibson employees that actually looked forward to going to work and making guitars worthy of the Gibson name.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Westernrider likes this.
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

That is guaranteed to kill them off for good. That marketing scheme is what bankrupted them in the first place, followed by the Norlin sacrilege.

5. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

What was killing Gibson in the retail brick and mortar stores, and the mom and pop stores, was the $10,000 per month ordering from Gibson, and that they could, on a whim, send you 20 Epiphones instead of the 4 Gibson Pauls you wanted. And you HAD to take them, or else you would lose your dealership.

SG standard and Westernrider like this.
  6. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

Looking back, it's hard to believe that by the time Norlin got done running Gibson into the ground, King Henry and company bought Gibson for something like $6M. Just in time to show Norlin and the rest of the world how to properly destroy a once great company. What is the damage if Gibson could pay it right now? $560 million?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Active Member

Neither is actually true. Read the well documented rise of Gibson since Henry J took the helm, and took Gibson from 5M to a billion dollar company. The guitar and instrument segment is not bankrupt, and is doing well. The debt issue emerged when they gambled on expansion into other markets, buying up [failing] companies who make products that were on the out. They got the consumer trends and the market direction wrong.

But back to the thread, Gibson's main instrument products are doing fine. Their entry level Epiphone brand is also doing fine. The pricing, just being out of reach of most folks, and the limited availability [exotic bird syndrome] is part of what makes a Gibson desirable. Lower the price, or make them more accessible, and they will loose $$ and brand value. I'm reminded of Yogi Berra, "Nobody wants one of those anymore, they are too popular."

Biddlin, SG standard and flognoth like this.
  8. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Point remains that Mom and Pop are retired to Boca. Some of you know I had a music store for awhile. I made money at it but worked 25hrs/day 8 days/week.
    Marketing models are always in flux. Musical taste is always in flux. Try to find a Souzaphone, bassoon or oboe for sale in a city of less than 4 million. Guitars are not extinct, yet, but most modern players lack the musical vocabulary to convey their skills and whether due to oversupply and goodness knows that there are probably a couple of billion available guitars for every player, people aren't buying guitars at nearly the clip they were ten years ago. Hell, an impoverished old sod like me has 20 or so lying around. I hear Ron Wood needs a warehouse for his stable. Anyrood, Mom and Pop stores aren't going to be able to sell you a Les Paul Traditional for $2300 or an SG Standard for $1500 and pay the light bills. Add about 50% before you're out the door.

9. KLBI

KLBI Member

No kidding, I was working at Sam Ash a few months ago and we had hundreds of Epiphones coming in that never sold. We ran out of space in the warehouse and had to start stacking them on the sales floor. Rarely, and I mean very rarely did we get actual Gibsons.