About to pull the trigger - SG Special with minis....

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Rain, Jun 12, 2019.

1. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new strat! Nothing wrong with the new Player series. They come decent pickups and 22 fret board.

Happy NGD to ya! :smile:

[​IMG]

cerebral gasket and Rain like this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I think that an Olympic White Strat with maple neck looks the best out of all of them. It's so iconic and timeless IMO.

Rain and arcticsg like this.
  3. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

After all this, I had to get my MIM Telecaster '72 Deluxe replica out and work it.

I'm very fond of this instrument. It's a re-issue of a CBS Fender guitar intended to
    invade Gibson Territory. So it's equipped with a pair of Fender 'Wide Range" hum buckers developed by Seth Lover after Fender made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
    1c4 whole guitar@100.jpg
    I replaced the electronics and kept the rest of it all stock. This is the one I was
    boasting about, I bought it used in like 2009 and have played it ever since.
    It's an excellent instrument. Maple '70s style strat neck, probably an Alder body,
    this one weighs about eight pounds and balances perfectly.

This instrument sounds like nothing else. It's wired just like a Les Paul, but
    doesn't sound like one. It doesn't sound like a regular Tele either, so Tele
    purists will glance at it and then look away in embarrassment. They usually
    disapprove.

But so what? I have no patience for purists of any kind, so I do like
    unusual instruments. And since we are discussing how durable the Polyurethane
    finish is, I'll repeat my testimony. Many of us have seen the video where Keith
    Richards whips his Tele off his shoulder and decks a fan who leaped onstage,
    and then puts it back on and continues to play. *laughs

This MIM Tele is that kind of guitar. I don't think Pete Townshend could damage
    it much. He'd be likely to break something else with it. I'm sure the Strat you
    bought will give great service for a reasonable price, and be upgradable should
    you decide you need something. Rock on.

Rain likes this.
  4. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

What an awesome guitar, Col Mustard! I've been eyeing teles for a bit, althoug, a bit like you I suppose, at least when it comes to tele, I'm the opposite of a puriste. One of the ones that interested me the most was a modern player, with the contoured body, humbucker in bridge position and strat-type bridge.

However, spending so much time with a non-SG confirmed something I was already painfully aware of - no matter if it's a fantastic instrument and I needed it in my arsenal. The only guitar I can play consistently for hours and hours is the SG, so even with the brand new guitar sitting right next to me, the SG still gets most of my attention tonight. I have a solo to write and record and if not for the SG, it just would not be possible.

I've played the strat quite a lot during the last few days obviously - so not surprisingly, my old shoulder injuries are acting up. Even just resting, my fingers go numb, my neck hurts and I know I have to stay away form guitars. Except SGs. Seems I can always play those.

And I still need a second guitar for the band. Wanna bet it'll be a SG? One should not underestimated the power of the dark side...

[​IMG]

5. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I like it. Very nice, wish I could hear it.

Your comment about Townshend not being able to bust it up is spot on, he's said himself one reason he switched to Fender was because the Gibsons in the 70s began to feel too flimsy, he could snap the necks off (he said) with his bare hands just playing it. I think he's exaggerating but his point was that the Fenders are built like tanks. They are, comparatively so. Poly finish over solid wood body with a bold on hardwood maple neck with no significant angle on the headstock ... I felt like my strat could have gotten run over by a truck and been fine. I had mt strat for 15 years and I never gigged it but I also left it out just leaning against chairs for lots of that time and it fell over, got knocked around, etc. No dents or bruises came of it.

6. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

Well, thanks to you Col Mustard, I became obsessed with this one, so...

[​IMG]

As I believe I mentioned earlier, I've sold quite a bit of guitars and gear recently. I also needed a second guitar for my new band, to complement the SG, preferably black - and I ended up with a white strat.

So I thought I'd give this one a try. I never had much interest for teles, not until recently, and then, I always prefer non-conventional ones (I just don't get that bridge design).

With its two humbuckers, its Strat-type headstock (I've always wanted a Fender with that late 60s, early 70s big headstock), its 4 knobs and all the rest, this tele really is an entirely different animal. And as silly as it sounds, the fact that it was introduced in 1972, my year of birth, just seemed like I had to at least try one...

7. Col Mustard

Steve D said: "Very nice, wish I could hear it.

Here's a soundcloud track where I'm playing the Telecaster Deluxe.

I put the basic track down with my acoustic guitar, and then played the
    Tele for the lead track and solos. The first solo I stomped my Ibanez TS-9
    and the second solo I used the Boss Blues Driver.

I was playing through a Vox VT-30, miked. Probably on the Fender Deluxe model.
    Or maybe the Dumble Clean. I've forgotten now. There are lots of models on that amp
    that I'll never use,
    but I have two or three that I really like, and use all the time.

I have the instrument tuned DADF#AD. Probably in the middle position.
    I like both the neck and the bridge p'ups, and usually use both, with various
    mixtures on the volume knobs.
    *Snow White Slide@100.jpg
    I hope you like yours as well as I like mine. I replaced the wiring on this Tele,
    because I believe the stock pots are 250 K, and I prefer 500K and the sound that
    comes with them. You can tell me what you think, once you've had a chance to
    put the guitar through it's paces. The stock MIM pickups sound excellent to my ear.
    They are NOT the same as the original '72 pickups designed by Seth Lover.
    The originals had CuNiFe magnets, which contributed to the original sound.
    But that alloy proved expensive and difficult to work with in production. *shrugs

I don't care. I like the sound of the new ones.

Rain likes this.
  8. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

Love the song!

Oddly enough, I was looking at those little Vox VTs just a few days ago!

9. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

I second the suggestion of a Classic. Although for a couple hundred bucks for a mini him SG, I'd clear coat it myself for the cost of nitro or poly and with plenty coats to minimize effects of sweat.

10. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

The thing is, I'm quite useless when it comes to repairing, tinkering or upgrading guitars - adding a pick guard to the SGJ is probably the most invasive procedure I've successfully attempted. Even for something as basic as truss rod adjustment - I'd rather have a tech guy do that for me. And I wouldn't trust myself messing with the finish - other than to destroy it. My wife actually owns 90% of all the tools and all the power tools in this house.

I bought a wielding kit last winter hoping to maybe switch pick ups on my Epiphones - I went as far looking into the cavity, at which point all my illusions melted. I'm the kind of guy Gibson had in mind when they switched to PCB - they're my only hope of ever switching pickups on my own... :smile:

I'd rather be sitting here with my head buried in ancient texts, learning Hebrew or programming synths and leave the tinkering and all that stuff to someone else.

Gahr likes this.
  11. Col Mustard

ya gotta set yer boundaries... and work within yer limitations.

I used to do my own work on my car, but then felt like someone who had a
    hoist might do better than me laying in the dirt. *grins

I've done enough work on my own guitars to know what I'm good at and
    what I'm not. So I don't mind paying my luthier, because he does what I ask him
    to perfectly, and often corrects my fumble fingered work as part of the routine.

There's no substitute for the proper tools and a clean work place. That's why the
    best luthiers are busy.