About vintage SGs, and sunken nitro finishes

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by deMelo, Aug 24, 2017.

1. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

I was playing my faded '61 Reissue and wondering...

These faded finishes are meant to resemble a played in/old Gibson guitar, but:

As a matter of fact I've never held a real 60s Gibson with my own hands. Does the nitro actually sink that deep, so that you can feel the grain? Or does is just shrink and crackle?

I like the faded finish, I especially dig how it ages itself, I'm just curious.

Edit. typos. Too many typos

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  2. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

No, because pore or grain filler is used.

Yes, at least the old nitro finishes do. I think the modern day nitro compositions won't check as much. On the other hand, some manufacturers are quite capable of manipulating the nitro to achieve just about any result.

deMelo likes this.
  3. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

4. sgluvr

sgluvr Member

None of the vintage guitars I have have finishes that are sunk. Grain filler makes sure that doesn't happen. The faded finish guitars look nothing like a vintage guitar and if anything, look like they cut corners big time making them.

DCCable and rotorhead like this.
  5. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

That was my initial feeling too, that they were trying too hard to make them look "worn" but instead they just looked like they were skimping.

Another feeling that bugged me was the fakeness of the idea. Much like pre-ripped jeans and other trendy little retro gimmicks, I just thought it was too cheesy.

But then I came around to the one redeeming factor, in my opinion (aside from the obvious price differences): they make for great starter platforms for people to upgrade and modify to their own tastes without having to worry so much like they might if they messed around the same way on their 4k+ LPs or whatever.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  6. kiko

kiko Active Member

Come on guys, be carefull of what you say! This is gibson you are talking about! :naughty:

But seriously, I kinda like the faded stuff but they are far from "vintage" IMO.

7. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

Gibson didn't spend the $$$$ on a full gloss finish and passed the savings on to the buyer. That doesn't mean, if you know what your doing, you can't finish the job.

8. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

hmmm interesting.

Well, my question was answered and I am satisfied. But I don't think there's a need to go all MLP on this... :naughty:

The faded finishes may not look of feel like a vintage/old GIBSON guitar, but it DOES look like an old/played in guitar, depending on which kind of filler/finish was used...

This is my faded SG placed next to my father's nearly 30 years old Mario Gropp, which I'm pretty sure has filler but it shrunk through time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't see a problem in liking a faded guitar. No, it is NOT a VOS custom shop instrument, but let's not forget that even these ones are NOT like the originals either (just start a thread saying you bought one and the games begin), so... You pay what you feel is fair. ;)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    syscokid likes this.
  9. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

I would get one with P90s