Adjustable brass nut?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ScottZ, Nov 8, 2019.

1. ScottZ

ScottZ New Member

Anyone using the adjustable brass nut, where there's basically a screw in each string position and the string rides in the groove? Looks like it would be great for dialing in the correct height and allow the proper angle from the nut to the tuner, but how do they sound? The string groove is flat instead of angled down towards the tuner, that might be an issue.

Screenshot_20191108-142322.png

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    ventura likes this.
  2. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Hi! I used solid brass nuts on my strat and my Iommi SG. Nuts made their sound a little bit brighter. Not in a disturbing way. I don't like very bright sounding guitars and idk how to describe. A little bit more bright with more balanced trebles can be accurate I think.

ventura likes this.
  3. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    The problem is that the brass nut can only make open strings brighter. As soon as you stick a finger in a fret you are back to the original fretted sound. And an ordinary bone or corian nut is already a lot brighter than a fretted sound, so a brass nut can only make the discrepancy worse.

That nut pictured above has a huge potential for making open strings buzz unpleasantly - a nut absolutely needs to slope back so there is a single defined edge that marks its position.

ventura likes this.
  4. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

I never experienced fret buzz on them. Nuts slots were very correct and their shapes were classical. On the other hand, my bone nuts are more balanced than brass to my ears. Is this about quality of brass or anything else, idk. On the other hand, I never used a nut like the nut pictured above. You are probably right about it. An angle can seem logical, but slots can be mismatched with the strings. Seems like they are moving up and down too. So depending on the fretboard radius, adjusting can be harder than we imagine.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    ventura likes this.
  5. ventura

ventura Member

Brass was the thing back in the 70’s.

HackeIommi likes this.
  6. ScottZ

ScottZ New Member

Thanks everyone, exactly what I needed to know.

ventura likes this.