after playing my SG for an hour or so

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Col Mustard, May 28, 2019.

1. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

So here's a challenge for us all...

I just got done working out on my SG for more than an hour.
    And I set it down on the stand next to my amp with the comment:
    "What a great guitar."
    April 05-20-19@100.jpg
    So... what's so great about it then, eh?
    Play yer durn SG for an hour, and then tell us about it.

I took this one down about five days ago, and cleaned it thoroughly. I took the pickups
    out and photographed them for another thread we had going, prolly still going.
    I cleaned the frets and the board with Gorgomyte, and rubbed down the body with
    Music Nomad's Guitar One. Then I re-installed the pickups, and cranked them
    all the way down in the body, intending to raise them up slowly, and listen.

I installed a new set of D'Addario balanced tension tens, using the self locking method,
    and played it hard for about twenty minutes. Guys seem to argue about whether
    stretching the guitar strings is a thing to do, or if it's a hoax or an illusion.

Me, I just play it vigorously for twenty minutes, and then I can go right onstage with
    a new set of strings, and have no trouble. Playing it vigorously seems to settle everything
    and stabilize the new strings on the posts. So this method works for me, whether I'm
    actually stretching the strings or just firming up the windings. Doesn't matter to me,
    I just do this and it works.

That SG has been sitting on its stand next to my Orange Micro Terror for about five days,
    and has stayed in tune (mostly) ever since. I have to tune it before every song, of course...
    because I have to tune any guitar before every song. I even check my basses, which seldom
    go out of tune. But the SG has stayed pretty stable.
    fretboard 9 darker@100.jpg
    I attribute this stability to the Maple neck that Gibson gave it. I loved the feel of this
    neck right away. It's very rigid by comparison to other instruments, and just feels solid
    as a rock.

Also, new strings are crucial to stability, and sound great, and don't break (much).

So what's so great about this 2012 SG special? The Corian nut works fine with no issues,
    the guitar has no inlays, no binding, no nibs, no problem. Frets are in good shape.
    Tone Pros tuners work fine, look cool and balance the guitar properly.
    Headstock@100.jpg
    I've been getting great tone out of the '70s tribute" mini hum buckers.... this last hour I
    was playing mostly clean, using the native oomph of the Orange Micro Terror 20W and
    stomping my Blues driver to practice solos. This works well for me, and makes for a very
    streamlined peddle board. Sustain is to die for... (at least it's all I need).

I really like the tone from the mini hums, and the feel of the maple neck and
    baked maple fretboard, and this guitar seems to facilitate my music... it does
    everything I know how to ask of it, and then once in a while I surprise myself
    and play something I didn't think I could do. Been listening to highs, mids and lows from this rig, and enjoying myself. Not a very posh rig, when you think
    about it, Low level Gibson, teensie little amp that looks like a toy (but isn't)
    Eminence speakers (not the highest priced), but I'm happy.

Let's hear about YOUR setup, all you lot.

The Orange amp is driving a pair of Eminence Legend speakers, an 8" and a 10"
    in the two home finished cabinets illustrated. The output of this amp is 8 Ohms,
    and the two 8 Ohm speakers in parallel run at 4 Ohms, but this doesn't seem to bother the
    amp at practice levels. It sounds great with just the ten, or just the eight as well.
    So if I just run one cab, it's a very compact setup, but that 20W amp can rattle the
    windows inside my house.

I have a bigger home made cab, with a ten and a twelve (Patriots I think)
    in it, 4 Ohms each, run in series for an 8 Ohm cabinet. That one runs quite efficiently
    and really moves a lot more air.
    April & Orange tall rig@100.JPG
    The Orange amp and the Gibson SG play well together, lucky me. Love the cleans on
    the Orange at lower gain level, but it's got a good amount of grind to it when you want.

There you have it... step away from the 'puta now and play your guitar, run it through
    a number of stylistic functions, and then return and report.

PICTURES, OR IT
    NEVER HAPPENED.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    musicman2242, DanB, Dale and 9 others like this.
  2. fos1

fos1 Member

It sure is a beautiful SG!

3. Hanover Fiste

Hanover Fiste Member

What do you call those rectangular things on the fretboard, then? :rofl:

rotorhead and Col Mustard like this.
  4. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

Beautiful post, by a wise guy.

I read it and though I ain’t no Sg player anymore, I could feel the vibe.

Right now I’m a bit too drunk to properly type my impressions, but will do tomorrow.

Col Mustard likes this.
  5. Col Mustard

Okay, okay, those are "small block Inlays... " good answer. I guess I was referring to
    the pineapple inlay on the headstock, which I don't particularly care for, and which people
    seem to obsess about. I don't know why people make such a fuss about whether it's
    a few millimeters forward or not, but I've read enough posts about it. I think it has to
    do with how much more money the guitars cost, if they have that pineapple.

I prefer a plain headstock, which I can decorate the way I want. Or not.
    I prefer to pay less, and get a fine instrument that has all the rawk and kerang,
    but less bling.

And there's a place in the world for all these things. If a guy can afford more
    Gibson elegance, he should have it... and it better be right. Higher class Gibsons
    really are beautiful, that's for sure. We see some lovely guitars on these boards
    and who am I to say anything against them. I hope to see some in this thread,
    after their owners play them and listen intently, of course.

Dale likes this.
  6. Col Mustard

Good enough. And even if this is an SG site, type your impressions of whatever
    guitar you favor. I don't care what guitar expresses your music, I just want to know
    why you like it and how it sounds and feels. No arguments, no wrangling, no butt hurt.

Play it, turn it up, rip a solo, stomp a pedal, write a song.... then come on this
    thread and boast about it.

7. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Three hours of band practice a couple nights ago, here's my go to rig. Epi '66 G400 Pro, Boss Nextone Stage and a couple pedals.

20190529_172019 (734x1024).jpg

Although I have a few guitars now and I really like them all, the Epi is still my favourite. I've had it the longest and everything about it just feels right. It stays in tune remarkably well and produces all the tones I need for our current playlist. I brought a backup but it never made it out of the case.

The Nextone I bought for this exact use, and it's performing really well. The custom mode gives me one channel that's Tweed Deluxe and another that's classic Marshall. With the footswitchable boosts and effects it gives me everything I really need in a compact, easy to transport package.

The basic pedal board I put together holds the Boss footswitch with room for a few extra effects, currently just a Tonebender MkII copy and a tuner. There's also a DIY tap tempo switch for the amp's delay/tremolo speed. On top of the amp is a Marshall Regenerator pedal that sits in the effects loop and is footswitchable, it handles any modulation needs not supplied by the amp.

All the tones I need and only one trip from the car to get it all in!

8. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

9. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    I have a bunch of guitars hanging in a row on the wall. Occasionally I will just strum across the lot of them to see how they are holding tune. They are all great except for the Les Paul which will invariably have drifted a bit flat. I can see no good reason for this - it just is.

guitars.jpg

Col Mustard likes this.
  10. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

That's nuts, isn't it? I also don't know why such a forum exists where folks obsess over bevels, tuners, knobs, pick guards, neck dive, nibs, PCB vs hand wiring, neck profiles, 61 Reissues, converting Nashvilles to ABR-1, Mini Humbuckers, 500K pots, Maestro Vibrolas, what year a guitar is, etc.

Maybe we should all spend more time playing our guitars instead of discussing nonsense that doesn't really matter.

11. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

My wife feels I have too much stuff. I play about 1-2 hours a night on average and 4-6 hours a day on weekends. I am not doing things in a band these days.

I have not had a lot of trouble with my SG's or other guitars going out of tune. Well, unless my 7 year old sneaks in and helps. Or, more likely my wife decides I need a reminder to apologize for something and she retunes all of them. I used to have a really heavy touch, and now have a much lighter one. I used to play a lot of acoustic, but these days it is largely electric. I run into a Mesa, Orange, or in the Garage a Bugera these days. House is set to be silent recording using Weber Masses and a Torpedo CAB.

I use EB super slinky (I think) that are the 9s. I have for many years and all guitars. I restring only occasionally as I do not really like "new" strings. When I do I stretch them and really do not have an issue with them going out of tune.

Did I miss anything?

[​IMG]

An example or 2 my my level of abuse to guitars can be seen in a demo of the Mesa Cab Clone for Silent recording I did a while back. Another was over the weekend where I did an improv over a foundation track I recorded a while back. It uses an LP though and not an SG.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Utrecht74 and Col Mustard like this.
  12. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

For guitarists, the following equation is always true:
    Guitars You Need = Guitars you Have + 1

For wives the following equation of often true:
    Guitars you should have = Guitars you have / 2

Utrecht74 and Dale like this.
  13. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    For wives, guitars you should have = 1

14. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I'm a bit of a gear whore but this 1991 SG 3 knob special always stays around. Whenever I'm learning a new song or trying to come up with a lick this is the guitar I pickup. When I'm not feeling it but I have to play live this is the guitar I go to. It never lets me down. It doesn't matter what amp I plug it into I can always find my tone. Catalogs from the time say the pickups are 1959 Les Paul Reissues. They measure about the same as most 490's but they don't sound like 490's. They have a little more bite. Whatever they are they sound great. The neck has a bit of a problem. It is has a very small back bow when it's not strung up. The truss rod is at the end of it's adjustment. I use .009's on it. They have just enough tension to give it a smidgeon of relief which is exactly how I like it. I was worried when I got the guitar that the neck might get worse but I've had for six years now and it hasn't changed. The stock tuners still hold tune as well as any guitar. SG's seem prone to changing tune due to humidity and temperature differences so playing live I get there a half early early to let the guitar acclimatize to the room. Once I tune it it stays in tune for the rest of the night. The tuner for the A string seems a little loose but it still holds tune OK. It has quite a few bumps and bruises, some from me, some from before I owned it. It is a plain jane, one solid colour, dot inlays, plain Gibson logo headstock guitar. It's mine and I love it. Like I said, I'm a gear whore. All of the gear in the pictures has moved on to new owners except for the SG. It's a keeper.
    2016-01-12 11.24.07 copy.jpg 2017-02-16 08.39.52 copy.jpg

15. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Active Member

The Dynamic Duo!! These bad boys light up the room!

SG's.jpg

16. Col Mustard

hey... I usually enjoy your posts even if I don't understand it all.
    I think it's great to have a forum where folks obsess over bevels, tuners, knobs,
    pick guards, neck dive, nibs and all the rest... all that detailing might possibly
    interfere with playing time, but it's fun.

Don't stop giving us your unique cerebral POV... where else would we find
    such perspective. I value every voice that speaks around here.

17. brazilnut

brazilnut Active Member

You can never have enough guitars. Why can't my wife understand such a simple concept? Is it because she's a singer and only needs one set of vocal cords? And one mic, and one mixer, and four PA speakers and two stands? And about a thousand cords for the PA, and a really heavy suitcase to drag them all around in? And a couple acoustic guitars and a mandolin? And a soundman...me? But all I need is one guitar, she says. And she gets pissed when I forget a harmony, too. Just one guitar. Right!

Dale and DanB like this.
  18. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Dang i see these pics and obviously i am way behind on having enough gear.

19. Col Mustard

It sounds like you obviously need a Harmony! I'd recommend an old Harmony Sovereign. Excellent tone, low price, hard to beat.
    you have enough guitars.png

20. Col Mustard

Wow, what a music room! I just imagine being a seven year old and my dad
    has this... I'd be in there all the time, playing air guitar and putting "tone notches"
    in my Dad's Les Paul, if I could lift it.

Excellent videos too, I didn't include them because they are still there, above.
    But I look at pictures like this and obviously I am way behind on having enough
    gear...

That might be the consensus of this thread, after we get a few dozen more posts.

Neil from Ottawa Canada and Dale like this.