All black truss rod cover?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Naki, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Naki

Naki New Member

Weird and not very important question, I know. Well, here goes, I’ve noticed Gibson’s current truss rod cover has the white beveled edge, did Gibson ever use all black on their LPs or SGs when they came out? I’ve been eyeing up SGs and noticed one of my favorite players Duane Allman has an all black truss rod cover, and compared to his LPs which he modified it seems his SG is stock(save for the tuners and hard tail swap done by Dickey prior to selling it to Duane). I’ve noticed Dickey’s SG with it too, maybe because it’s his model based off the one sold to Duane? And of course, another favorite, Derek Trucks seems to have an all black truss cover on his current guitar, I think a 61 reissue. Did Gibson ever have guitars with all black covers or just a personal preference of those associated with the Allman’s? Also, bonus points for if anyone knows why Duane curled his strings rather than cut them? Perhaps more string tension in the pole, or just another personal touch?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Many of the early SG Special Faded had solid black blank truss rod covers. Later on some were solid black with "SG" and some were B&W two-ply with "SG".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  3. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

My '72 SG III had an all black cover. My 2003 Faded was black but had that ugly SG stamped into it. No need to make an affordable SG look cheap Gibson!

4. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Yeah, old Juniors and Melody Makers also had the all black TRC. It doesn't have the bevel edge, though
    [​IMG]

cerebral gasket and papagayo like this.
  5. cerebral gasket

Come to think of it, my 1970 SG Junior from the past had solid black truss rod cover as well as my "new" 2007 Melody Maker.

[​IMG]

bwotw likes this.
  6. Naki

Naki New Member

Very interesting! Gibson invented truss rods and the need to cover the cavity in the 20s but by the 50s or so they tried to make them look more fancy by adding the white bevel? I can’t stand the SG stamp!

shreddy bender likes this.
  7. cerebral gasket

Why not?
    It’s the SG Stamp of Approval.

flognoth likes this.