Amp in a box - your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Bettyboo, Nov 7, 2015.

1. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Well Boo I hope you like the sweet baby give it a good chance the diavlo are great little amps.
    I have all tube amps most with little or no gain except my OR 15 orange I use pedals to get my dirt.
    and control the volume. heres a new pricey pre amp pedal .

zisme and Bettyboo like this.
  2. peejaybee

peejaybee Well-Known Member

Yeah, if I had a lot of money I would pick up an 18-watt jobber myself.

Bettyboo likes this.
  3. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Well you can buy a working chassis off a guy I know for 5
    I have one and its great as good or better than the ones that say Marshal
    but get your pedal board ready you will need it because its a loud mutha
    though I use my blackheart bh5 a lot its pretty close to plexi sound.

4. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

That's another fair point.

These pedals are a good option for home use at lower volumes. That Orange pedal looks very cool, but again at the money there are a lot of options.

I also agree with the folks who have a nice cab then 'experiment' with small heads - a Vox lil nightrain or Orange micro terror is the same price or cheaper than some of these emulation pedals.

On many threads, I see a similar pattern: it's what we use it for. I'm a home use low volume kinda guy, so what works for me will often be different from say the Col. or Dbb or Biddlin who are out playing gigs - for them maybe a Fender Princeton or VOX AC15 would do the job with amp in a box pedals. Maybe, at a puuuuussssssssssssssssh, a modelling amp... :ohno:

5. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

what i do Boo,run amp heads on a Blackheart BH112 speaker cab.i got a Blackheart BH110 cab to but it stays in the closet.then just rotate amp heads as i feel like it.Micro Terror gets the most use.one reason is it sounds great and its a sort of half and half tube and SS.turn it on and go

Bettyboo likes this.
  6. JohnnyGoo

but i got dirt and overdrive pedals to just for different sounding dirt

Bettyboo likes this.
  7. Bettyboo

^ there's lots more clean (believe it or not) on the micro terror than my baby Randall.

Also, some pedals sound good over dirt - fuzz sounds good over dirt. But, there isn't much clean/light dirt headroom in the baby Randall so I am forced towards certain type of pedals. If I had something like an AC4 then I'd probably be using dirt and amp in box pedals in a very different way.

Frankd: just popped home for lunch and tried the Sweet Baby. First Impressions are good, it certainly adds attack and has just the right amount (very little) gain to be a nice addition to the baby Randall without pushing the amp into dirt; it crackles in a nice way... It is also interesting with the fuzz as it adds some much needed treble to the very soft mushy darkish germanium fuzz tones that I like - great for punk. I just tried 15 mins with the Joyo pushing the fuzz, but it doesn't do too much there with regard to volume and feel, so I reckon it'll work better as a last in line boost type pedal - I'll try that after work tonight.

On the downside, the pedal is cheaply made and the footswitch is crap; can't see it lasting long, but maybe a cheap and easy upgrade. :hmm:

20151109_142804_resized.jpg

8. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Well maybe it will work out at my first impression of the Joyo footswitch was the same but Im over 200 lb
    wear 13 shoe an the none of the joyo switches have went out yet .

Bettyboo likes this.
  9. Bettyboo

^ good to hear!

(but, playing tonight, the switch is already jamming...)

The pedal sounds nice playing acoustic type stuff; so the bridge pup rolled back a couple of notches and the pedal with everything at 11 o'clock is nice for playing Staind Outside and It's Been a While...

I would say, early doors, I prefer this sound to the Soul Food - there's more sweetness.

Defo sounds better after the fuzz too; at the moment the Sweet Honey is last in line.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  10. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

i definitely like the idea of the amp in a box pedal.
    some of the best i've heard are the AMT Legend Amps II preamp pedals. I had the E2 (Engl) and S2 (Soldano) for a while, and when run into the return on the effects loop the tones were pretty spot on. nice fender-y cleans in the bypass mode. you had the option of using them as a regular dirt box via a cab sim out, but you'd lose a little umph that way.

here's a cover I did using the S2

ultimately i ended up selling them, because i tend to prefer my amp sounds for dirt in a live situation. i just didn't end up doing as much recording at home as i thought i would. but if i had a studio and wanted the Soldano sound for $150 - BAM

right now the only one i've got is the Earthquaker Devices Acapulco Gold which emulates a cranked Sunn Model T. it operates as a standard dirt pedal with a single output knob. you're meant to control the gain via the volume knob on the guitar. i can definitely see it being useful in some setups/scenarios, and while it sounds great, it's easier for me to just use the dirt on my sunn beta lead.

i guess i really only need one dirt sound at a time. i'm so used to the clean/dirty two channel setup. i've yet to incorporate a lighter drive sound (tubescreamer territory) into any of my setups. my favorite dirt pedals by far are fuzzboxes.

still, i like the idea of having the different amp sounds at your disposable for significantly less $. as i don't see myself dropping the coin on a Model T (not a tube guy anyway), i'll be holding on to this guy just in case

apologies for the sleepy, seemingly non-enthusiastic pedal demo. i don't really do these..

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    frankd and Bettyboo like this.
  11. Bettyboo

Very nice guitar work there - sounds great. There's something very nice about a clean then some dirt being peddled on. :dude:

You did spot the pedal on the left didn't you, Zisme? :D

[​IMG]

(8 pedal mega-review coming up, just waiting for two more pedals, then a few days to practice with them...)

zisme likes this.
  12. JohnnyGoo

13. dcwave

dcwave Well-Known Member

Let me tell you why I will remain a Wampler customer for a long time and pay the higher price.
    Its a tale of two pedal makers.
    First story:
    I bought a new Dual-Pedal from this company; I had one of their other pedals, one that I "obsessed" over to i figured this one would be a keeper as well. Their dual pedal provided a nice fat overdrive and high gain distortion - i judged all other pedals against it. An issue came up that required support. I was treated like crap, told my setup was crap, my power supply was crap, and that I needed to fix those things. Mind you I run a studio with regulated and consistent power and have isolated feeds to each pedal. My cables at the time were Mogami, soldered. It wasn't my power or cables. It was the pedal. But the pedal maker didn't want to hear that.

Second story:
    I traded a Celestion Blue for the Wampler. I noticed there was a lot of "spitty" noise when i turned the drive past about 2 o-clock. I contacted support to see if this was normal. They said no. I told them I got it second hand. No problem they said it has a 5 year transferable warranty. They game me an RMA, I sent it in. I expected a couple of weeks before I would hear of anything. 2 days later I had a NEW pedal; not fixed; not refurbished; a brand-spankin new pedal in a box. Completely unexpected.

I sold the first company's pedals. I bought a second Wampler. I will gladly pay for a product by a company that understands the value of their customers, and doesn't let ego get in the way. Plus their pedals just sound good!

14. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Oh god I hate these stories were the bad guys remain anonymous come one we want to know
    we need to know the other sh$T heads so we can avoid them.

Westernrider and JohnnyGoo like this.
  15. Bettyboo

I can understand what you're saying.

You do get different types of service from different types of companies, and different build quality, etc.

I'm also thinking about ethics and jobs and stuff; I just got a Joyo for $40 which is based on a really nice $160 Mad Scientist design. Do I want to support Chinese ripoffs rather than innovative companies like MS? I've been thinking this over and there are many variables. I don't think I'd buy another Joyo pedal, but time will tell.

16. VanDerchuck

VanDerchuck Active Member

Mad Professor didn't design it either.

And if you want to look at it another way, they figured out a way to charge $169.00 for $25.00 worth of parts. Pedals of this design should cost between $75.00 and $100.00. No more than that.

There are a few boutique builders who should be rewarded for there work. Wampler, Catalinbread, Skreddy, and Zvex have all designed their own pedals and found their own niche in the market. And on top of that they allow diy'ers like myself access to the design. Sometimes even correcting schematics that have been traced.

It's when someone puts out a pedal that they say is their own design and it really isn't that bothers me. You never hear anything about Black Arts claiming the Pharoah is a new wonderful design, when in truth it's just another modded Big Muff. And yes, there are A LOT of them out there. The tone stack of the Big Muff is probably the most jacked circuit in the industry because it works so well and is super simple.

Don't be worried about buying an affordable knock off. I think the Joyo Sweet Baby Overdrive is a perfect example. Had I paid $100.00+ for the pedal I'd still end up modding it because pedals that use LED's for clipping (distortion) sound harsh to me. And as a circuit it isn't that fantastic. Take a tubescreamer, remove the input and output buffer, change the clipping diodes, 86 the tone pot, and throw in a pot to control the feedback loop. That's basically it.

The Joyo Ultimate Drive is a great pedal. Why would you spend money on a Fulltone OCD when VooDoo Labs designed the pedal and they stopped making it.

Aesthetics aside, some pedals just aren't worth the money. I'm not impressed by how colorful a pedal is or whose name is on it. I could actually care less. Give me all the good sounding pedals in plain raw aluminum boxes. I'll take a great musical sound over a name any day.

Madmatt, ivan H, Sweetums and 2 others like this.
  17. Bettyboo

^ well, some good points there, but we all have different opinions and reference points.

To you, maybe. To me, not so. Pedals are just a product, like any other and we all have our thoughts on the designs, politics, profits, etc.

For example, I may move away from Gibson and give some Fenders a go because they cater for lefthanded players; this is simply not on your agenda; different folks, different strokes.

I meant, it's a BJF design for Mad Professor: http://www.mpamp.com/factory-pedals/sweet-honey-overdrive-factory-pedal/

With regard to the Joyo, it sounds nice, but I wouldn't suggest folks to gig with it unless they change the footswitch (I've had problems on the first day, and after checking read many issues on the net with the footswitch). The output jack is also finicky going on and off a couple of times already - they clearly use cheap parts and/or have average/poor quality control - I accept that's one reason why they are cheap.

In places like the US and UK, corporate and government greed has sold out our industries. In the US (and other places too) there is a history of excellence in the guitar industry which is supported my many small businesses which make their own designs and or change/improve/develop existing designs. Companies such as MXR and EHX have been around for years (often changing/improving other designs) and I choose to support such companies. I don't see Joyo and their ilk doing anything other than low cost manufacturing - I see no reason to support them.

My $ goes where I fancy, and I include some politics in my purchasing - I'm not claiming to be either consistent or without hypocrisy... :rofl:

Thus, I won't be buying a Joyo again.

Instead, I will be purchasing pedals such as these 3 for $150+ - far above your suggested limit, but worth it to me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not disagreeing with your points, per se, VanderChucky, just stating my own thoughts on the issue. It's certainly an issue with a wide range of possible and reasonable viewpoints. Of course, the best ones conform to mine... :rofl:

ivan H likes this.
  18. Bettyboo

Just was looking at the Mad Professor site, and:

[​IMG]

http://www.mpamp.com/amplifiers/os11/

We made this one simple: one preamp tube, one power tube, one knob and one speaker, but up to 11 watts power that is enough even for stage use.
    Very natural and organic tone, that lets every tonal detail of your precious instrument come through.
    Touch sensitivity that follows every little nuance of your playing.

With good care this handwired amplifer will give you decades of trouble free operation.

As the name applies this amplifier is designed for classic guitar tones from 50’s to modern times.
    Classic tones from clean to distorted are easy to get and adjusted with your guitars volume and tone knobs.

This is a cathode bias Class A amplifier and it do not need biasin, when changing tubes.
    Use only high quality 12AX7/ECC83 and 6V6 tubes.

Specifications
    • Preamp tubes: 1 x ECC83/12AX7
    • Poweramp tubes: 1 x 6V6
    • Output power: 11 Watts
    • Power consumption: Max 50 VA
    • Combo Speaker: 10” 8 ohm
    • Dimensions (W*D*H): Combo: 40 x 24 x 42 cm Head: 40 x 24 x 21 cm
    • Weight: (combo) 13,3kg (head) 10,5kg

Price: $1000 :shock: :io:

19. JohnnyGoo

get ya a damn Fender Twin Reverb amp to test all them dirt pedals on. you know of a guy named Ted Nugent ???? Gibson Byrdland into modified Twin Reverb amps, = instant deafness lol.i experienced it once.Great White Buffalo :dude::dude::dude: Rock on Boo

ivan H likes this.
  20. Bettyboo

Never heard of him; any good? :D

Karathas and JohnnyGoo like this.