Amp ordered ... Inexpensive garage amp

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Dale, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

I have been looking for an amp to use in the summers in the garage here. I had been using my 5:25, but sold it shortly after I picked up my full size Mark V. I love my Mark V and Orange 50 Mk III. I am moving away from combos as I just like the flexibility of heads.

The issue with summer garage playing is I want something I can leave out there so I do not have to set up. I generally watch my son who has special needs while he plays, and it is hard to set up and watch him. I use a wireless system with the guitar as I can run with it!

My 5:25 sounded great (thus the full size V) but was really too expensive to leave in the garage as my teens lave the door open. Sometimes even when they come in at night along with the lights on. Teens. They are what they are ... I digress.

While I keep the rig under drop cloths etc. I generally am concerned something will walk away. It never has, and the neighborhood is out of the way and safe even relative to the very safe community we live in here. So I am not too worried. Anyway, I have been looking for a small head that I can use, that does not cost too much, and is reasonably decent sounding (small head). I have been looking at OR15's, Rocker 15 Terrors, DSL 20HR, etc. I just was not on board with any of them. I have a coouple Mustang amps I like, but not really in this situation for some reason. Probably as I drop a fuzz and/or wah on the righ and I never liked them with that setup.

I stumbled into the Bugera T5 the other day on YouTube. It seems to essentially be a small 5w head running an el84 and AX7. I have a Gretsch 6150 housed in a 1x12 cab that is great, but more of a collector (sentimental) that I do not want left in the garage. The clips sounded good. It has a decent eq, and gets from clean to classic rock drive levels. It is also under $130US right now. I even managed to stumble into an open box at MF so I stayed under $115. The reviews seems relatively positive, thought it was essentially an amp that was pretty generic. I am not sure what it is intended to mimic.

I think it will do well enough with the jam tracks and visitor jams.

Now ... it is time to deflate my balloon. How disappointed am I going to be?

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I use one of those on top of a 2X12 enclosure when I visit a friend in LA. I like the tones!

Dale likes this.
  3. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Never played the T5, but I know it's intended to be somewhat of a clone of the Vox Night Train amps, which I have played a couple of times. Not a fan of those amps, but I see the appeal. I dunno if the T5 is a clone of the entire amp and circuit (a la the G5 and the Blackstar HT5) or just of the chassis (a la the V22 and the Matchless 30).

Since you're a fan of Mesas, and, ya know, you've kinda already ordered the T5... Have you checked out the Joyo Zombie head? I know that thing is getting raves from just about everyone that touches it, and although YouTube demos can be decieving, almost everything I've heard sounds totally legit. I would love to try one.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Dale likes this.
  4. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

I will check them out. As a Mesa guy I am not a resl high gain guy.

5. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

I can't believe I am still waiting for this thing to arrive.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Clifdawg likes this.
  6. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Neither can I, and I'm not the one who's getting it!

Dale likes this.
  7. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

It showed. Nice little lower gain amp. Good with pedals. It will work great.

HackeIommi likes this.
  8. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Finally! Made me feel like the amp ordered from the factory production line. Not from a store.

Dale likes this.