Amps - whatcha playin' these days?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by gtone, Dec 9, 2014.

1. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Active Member

So today i gave my lite iiB marshall clone a whirl. It was getting played through a 2x12 elk cab loaded with jensen 12 inchers.

Also have a marshall 4x12 which frankly, this amp, and my krank both sound rubbish through.

So i found 2 1x12 krank cabs for my revjr head.. makes a nice little mini stack, but i have the one cab hooked up to the clone, and the other hooked up to the krank.

this thing sings through these cabs... they are great value.

20170422_122205.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised to find that they look like solid wood. No lamination in sight. Mind you, they were advertised as solid poplar..

20170422_105850.jpg

Nice and clean construction. Really solid little things.

20170422_105907.jpg

I see many associate the rev jr amps with metal.. it does do high gain exceptionally well, but let me tell you, with the gain backed off, and vol backed off, she does the crunch thing really nicely

Another curiosity, these cabs sound much nicer when run as 16ohm. When i put the 2 togeether running at 8ohm, the amps sounded a bit more subdued.

Anyways... done making noise..

Back to my thr :thumb:

2. PelhamSG

PelhamSG Active Member

Marshall DSL15C as the main amp, and I use the Fender for my J-160e to plug into.

[​IMG]

ratsalad and guidothepimmp like this.
  3. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Active Member

Yesterday i had the ol supernova out... damn she makes vintage tones so easily...

20170426_093436.jpg

4. One-Wan

One-Wan Member

Good thread! Thought Id breathe some new life into it. Currently blasting through a Dr Z Mini Z with a Celestion Gold Alnico 10" speaker. Soon Ill also have a Marshall 1958X 18w 2x10" combo to play through for "louder" situations. :naughty:

Cheers, Scott.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Ray likes this.
  5. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja New Member

I only own 1 amp and it's not a particular high end one, namely a Fender Champion 40.

I actually prefer solid state amps, though had I had the money I would have gotten a Roland JCM-120 Jazz Chorus, which I owned one of at some point.

Amazing crystal clear clean amp with a great chorus and vibrato effect build in, though the Champion is actually still a great amp for the price.

At the moment I only play at home, but I'd likely join a band again at some point, and I could possibly have a gig with an old project of mine and some friends I scrapped together to support me on stage in February.

I figure the 40W and 1x 12" would be sufficient for band rehearsal, and on stage it doesn't really matter as it will be miked up in most instances anyway.

Just got back at concentrating on guitar, which was my first instrument, after having had bass as my main instrument of choice for several years.

So here my lowly rig is, excluding my pedal board:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Clifdawg and Raiyn like this.
  6. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

You can't wrong with an Epi Special and a Fender SS amp!

NoiseNinja likes this.
  7. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

rig 2.jpg

2018 Gibson SG Standard

2004 Marshall 1987X, modded "plexi", point-to-point and "capped brightness" on channel 1. (Like on the old plexis Hendrix and Angus used.)

1976 Marshall cabinet 4 x 12" Celestion greenbacks

2018 Koch LB-120 II Attenuator

200X Dunlop Dimebag Cry Baby From Hell

1996 Ibanez TS 9 Tube Screamer

2010 TC Electronic Polytune

ruster1, Thumpalumpacus and Wildeman like this.
  8. Wildeman

Wildeman Active Member

My latest are a old Supro Tremo Verb and a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15" 20181108_180306.jpg 20181214_134022-1.jpg

Thumpalumpacus and Ray like this.
  9. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Well-Known Member

Egnater Tweaker 15 is my #1, currently in the shop being repaired. Great amp, toothy, organic distortion, wiiiiiiiide variety of tones:

[​IMG]

#1 backup: VHT Special 6. The dirt needs help to get where I want, but the cleans are gorgeous BF-Fender type lush.

[​IMG]

Recently picked up a late 80s Peavey Bandit 60 which I've finally got dialed in decently. Once the Egnater's out of the shop, the Bandit will go to the rehearsal space so I won't have to schlep a head-and-cab there. No pics, but it's an ugly old thing anyway, looks like it fell down some stairs on the way to a six-month date with running water. Everything works, though, and for $48 it's a good score.

Ray likes this.
  10. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Love this thread.. just pure ideas and variety.. I have various ideals for playing out my SG's.. and love the Marshall tone. I started with a 1970 Marshall Major which was just soooo loud and clean.. (good pedal format) but sent it out to David Bray in Wyoming at the time for a super lead mod, replaced the transformers, circuit and added a Master. Still super loud but the master helps tame it.. my Marshall cab from the 80's has celestion 75's and EV-200 Watt Black shadows in it.. lets the amp do all the breakup.. not the speakers.. Tone for days but has to be played when the family is out of the house..

The Splawn Quickrod setup is for excellent vintage tones as well as modern gain.. the cab is set up with Eminence Private Jacks and Governors in X pattern.. The QR does PLEXI in 1st gear with OD1 (OD2 is the more base response in my opinion like Boogie) and with gain set 10 o'clock the plexi tones are amazing.. running volume pedal in the loop with a little TC electronic delay..(can really have a sleeping baby in the next room)..

Secret weapon is the Solodallas Storm pedal.. this boost does the trick for Angus.. keep the pedal off for Malcolm (Gretsch) and put it on for massive boost with the SG.

When the family is in a different state, I put both the Splawn and Marshall together with stereo chorus.. heavenly.. one dry one wet..

Forgot the mention, Blackstar HT-5 is a great amp as well..!! and lets not forget the Peavey 5150.. sounds great in low gain.. and we know what it can do in high gain..
    20190203_161307.jpg 20190221_191754_resized.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    plankton and Ray like this.
  11. belleswell

belleswell Active Member

Nothing has changed in over 3 years because of the Axe which is fantastic in the fx loop of the Marshall 6100 LE brass chassis # 177/800

Marshall 6100 LE Brass Chassis #177 w/full stack of 25 w greenback Celestions. The stack was bought in '72 with the JMP 100 w head. (no master vol). Those 25w greenbacks make the Marshall 30th anniversay (6100) sing in a way that the JMP never could. I've played through and owned about a dozen different Marshall's over the years and liked them all, but the 6100 is by far my fave

Peavey JSX

Marshall JMP '72

Fender Twin Reverb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ruster1 and Ray like this.
  12. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Some great setups in the last few posts, but I feel bad for you guys having to cram everything into such tight looking spaces. Thankfully one thing we're not short of down here is space. Here's my current setup, amps are Laney Cub 12R and Boss Nextone Stage. In the lounge room I've also got a Yamaha THR10 for quiet practice.

20190226_184854 (1024x741).jpg

ruster1, Thumpalumpacus and Ray like this.
  13. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Just splendid ...
    And that was some pretty funny reading, too!:D

This thread rules ...!

14. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

After having played Vox amps for a few years, I now almost exclusively play these two babies:

A 1959 Gibson GA-20T Ranger (16W)
    [​IMG]

And a 1965 Gibson GA-5 Skylark (10W):
    [​IMG]

Both amps are modded to some degree; the GA-20 has a WGS G12C speaker (the original was already gone when I bought the amp), and the GA-5 has a WGS 10" Veteran. They have both been properly overhauled by techs and have new caps and three-prong cords installed. The GA-5 has also had a resistor/capacitor network that was making it too trebly removed. Both sound awesome to my ears. They both break up early, especially the GA-20.

I'm actually considering selling my Vox AC30C2 which has been my main amp for band paractice and gigs for a few years. I still love the AC30, but I don't use it much anymore. I don't need the volume, and I am dreaming of buying a Fender Deluxe Brownface or Tweed one day...

15. belleswell

belleswell Active Member

That pic was of our home we had lived in for almost 30 years. It was what was left of our dining room. We have since both retired and moved to a spacious country home. I now have a huge man cave with room for everything. I also have a view of the pond 30 feet from the home, which can be very distracting with all of the wildlife lining up for pics. Our nearest neighbor is about a half mile away, so I can play as loud as I want.

plankton and Ray like this.
  16. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

ruster1 likes this.
  17. DrBGood

That sounds a lot like our place.

Panorama 3 étang novembre 2003-.jpg

18. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

..more amps, please ...

19. DrBGood

You can't see it ? It's on the back porch :rofl:

Ray likes this.
  20. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Gotta love an amp with only one knob for "Loudness". :dude:

Robus, Ray, Gahr and 1 other person like this.