An Orange Micro Dark - Covers a Lot of Bases

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by fos1, Jan 18, 2019.

1. fos1

fos1 Active Member

I just purchased an Orange Micro Dark amplifier after a lot of research and experimentation.

I tried the Dark at the local music store a couple of times in recent months. I was very impressed. Many different tones are available from clean to trashy and a lot in between. It would easily drive a 2x12 Marshall cab in the store with a lot to spare. It easily drives the speakers to a level too loud for the store. Having a 12AX7 pre-amp gives it a very "tube quality" sound. In short, it is very impressive for a small 20 watt hybrid amp.

I have a Microcube GX, a Katana 50 and a Katana Artist. I would have thought that would meet every need I would ever have. The Microcube was my first amp and I used it for everything including travel. When traveling, I like to practice with headphones when I might disturb others. The Katanas are too big to travel with easily.

My hearing is poor. I wear a set of high quality hearing aids. All three of my amps have a headphone output. But, the volume from the headphone outputs to fail to adequately drive any of several headphones that I have including a Bose Quiet Comfort. I cannot wear headphones with my hearing aids due to feedback. I also tried feeding the amp output through several headphone amplifiers with poor results.

I took my Bose headphones to the store today and tried them with the Micro Dark. It was exceptional! I was sold on the spot. After getting it home, I discovered several very useful qualities.

It is small and light. It will easily fit into a carry on bag. It also appears to be well built and rugged. The included power supply is 12 volts rated at 2 amps. I have a couple of deep discharge 12 volt AGM batteries (90 ah and 60 ah). Either would drive the amp for a long weekend at a tailgate party or festival.

I patched the Micro Dark into the 12 inch Waza speaker in the Artist. Incredible sound! I am going to start looking for a knock around 10" or 12" cab.

It is also very simple to use: volume, shape, and gain. The shape is so responsive. You can play a chord and then rotate the shape know to zero in the desired tone and then play with the gain for anything between clean and violent.

Such a deal. $185 out the door including a speaker cable.

fos1

HackeIommi, Dale, Gahr and 1 other person like this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Congrats!

What's really cool about that model is that it has an FX Loop which you don't find on very many amps that size.

fos1 likes this.
  3. fos1

fos1 Active Member

// that model is that it has an FX Loop

That was another deciding factor. The original Micro Terror, though $30 cheaper, does not have the FX Loop.

Thank you,
    v/r
    Jeff

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I'm happy to hear that it's full of tones, because I found the regular Micro to be a deceiving one trick pony amp. If I come across a Dark Micro, I'll give it a spin.

fos1 likes this.
  5. fos1

fos1 Active Member

There is significant interaction between the volume, shape and gain adjustments. During my research, I found a video on youtube that demoed that interaction. I will see if I can find it.

v/r
    Jeff

DrBGood likes this.
  6. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Congrats, man!

fos1 likes this.
  7. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Congrats, Happy NAD! :)

fos1 likes this.
  8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You hear it well here. The regular Micro is just ... thin.

fos1 likes this.
  9. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I'm glad you dig it, a lot of people do. I had one for about a year and just could not coax a sound that I liked out of it at anything other than very high volume and only through a 4x12 cab. Every other cabinet (from the little Orange 1x8 to a couple 1x12's and a 2x12) sounded awful with it and at anything other than gigging volume it lacked definition but at the same time had a fizzy quality to the distortion...basically fuzzy mud. Maybe I got a bad one?

DrBGood likes this.
  10. fos1

fos1 Active Member

I mainly purchased it for travel. I have the Katana Artist. I like the Orange amps, I was considering one of the "full size" terrors but put it off.

Thanks, Jeff

11. Blucifer

Blucifer Member

I love mine as well, a quick tube swap from the stock ruby and wow what a world of change!

fos1 likes this.
  12. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Congratulations for the amp and thanx for the info!