Angus Young SG's

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by jimmy74, Oct 6, 2016.

1. sg jones

sg jones Member

This so makes me want a black SG with lightning bolts..

2. lcw

lcw Active Member

There's a '00 Angus Young at a shop near me that is VERY tempting... the red is nice and deep. The Angus Young pickup is awesome. Only issue... the vibrola. Terrible for staying in tune (ever worse that a straight up Standard with stopbar lol). The neck is nice and small too. Perfect shape imo.

3. JimD

JimD Member

4. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

The man the LEGEND

5. Yam the Bomb

Yam the Bomb New Member

Hey guys I'm a new member here. I just bought an Angus model SG (2013 lightning bolt version). It's a very nice quality SG.
    The only thing I would warn people about is the neck is VERY thin. I'm not huge 5' 8" and short fingers but I feel like a giant when I play this one.
    My only other SG was back in the late 1970's I had an SG with a Bigsby on it. I only played basic stuff (mainly AC/DC) back then and then took a 25-year break from guitars. I just recently started playing again. It's way easier and more enjoyable these days with all the You Tube song lessons.
    As far as the pickup being too hot. I wouldn't worry about that. It sounds great. May not be what Angus uses but you can definitely get a good Angus tone from it.
    I wouldn't think that serious musicians buy tribute guitars anyway. That's probably not the target market for these. I think these are aimed more at guys like me. Bedroom players that are just having fun. Not taking it too seriously.
    It is a fantastic player. Much better than my old SG. A slightly wider neck would have made this one perfect for me.

JCarno likes this.
  6. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Yeah, Angus likes thin necks. His first SG (late '70, early '71) apparently even surprised the guys at Gibson with how thin the neck was. In fact, it warped from his sweat and abusive playing style and (I suspect) was re-necked entirely by Jaydee and became the lightning bolt SG.

7. bobbiehart2013

bobbiehart2013 Active Member

yeah, it looks like he is probably taking a photograph, he appears to me sitting down as opposed to flat out on the floor ie: dead

8. Tonerider

Tonerider Active Member

My favorite Gibson SG Angus Young signature ,

[​IMG]

lcw likes this.
  9. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

I've got an SG 2006 Jr waiting on me at Xanadu Guitars, Memphis. I gotta get to boo-eez and $ave that $900 and go Legit!