Another finishing question

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by ArtyBoy, Dec 29, 2004.

1. ArtyBoy

ArtyBoy Member

Okay, I stripped that polyurethane off and it got me back to square one with what looked like a nice, clean piece of wood. Wiped on a smooth coat of poly last night and at first it was beautiful. Then, as it dried, I started seeing marks that had been invisible when the wood was bare: marks where I had ran a scraper over some of the old poly, sanding spots...

Will this stuff be cloaked by further clear coats, or should I strip and sand it again or what? And I did clean with naptha first.

2. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

No matter how mant coats you put on it will show. Strip the poly. Start out the sanding with a 180 grit and work your way up to 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Sand in the direction of the grain only using a sanding block. On the curved surfaces use you hand as the sanding block,again in the direction of the grain. Don't press too hard on the edges or you will round off the the sharp lines of the body. After your done sanding,if you have access to compressed air blow off the sanding dust and before you begin with the poly wipe the body off with a tack cloth to remove any remaining dust.

..Lou

3. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

What brucewayne said.

Also... just put some water on the wood... the marks will show... sand some more... etc.... water will also raise the grain... sand fine....

4. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

uh-oh! are you dealing with stained wood arty?

if so what about some sealer coats over what he has, sand, and then apply the clear?

5. ArtyBoy

ArtyBoy Member

I started over (#4) and it's looking a LOT better this time. However, now I'm getting lots of little pocks where dust has cratered it. On my fourth coat my mom (who watches lots of Home & Garden TV) suggested I put a cardboard box over it that has been wiped for dust. Great idea! DUH for me! Now I'm wondering...since I'm on my fourth coat, will subsequent coats fill in those pocks, and maybe the box will prevent further pocking and leave a nice, smooth surface? Overall its looking good. Just want to get over the pocks.

The lines of the sanding (320 and 600) are also leaving some shiny trails that show in the light, but not too hideous. After my previous results I'm jaded and this is looking dreamy by comparison.