Any Explorer owners here?

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Turrican, Mar 28, 2017.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Active Member

Samick Artist Series Explorer with pickup upgrades and radio knobs here.
    (this is my black-out fleet of the top five food groups)

If you cannot find the Gibson Explorer for your price/budget then these Samick Artist series are a great alternative. Samick makes around 80% of all the import guitars for all the retail brands and so their own name on the instrument they usually do a lot higher grade work than a price point for another brand.
    I got mine many years ago well abused but for $25 it worked out, (scratched up/stickered body, one working pickup, trem arm broke off in the block, bat pots and switch with the lever broken off. A $12 pickup swap from ebay plus a pro setup and this plays and sounds great. I had a die-hard Gibson guy play it on his amp and he demanded to know where I got the pickups, he ordered them that night (look for the creme or red zebra and see the construction details. Many sellers but one factory).

IMG_4510d.JPG

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. Razor

Razor New Member

Very nice!

Michael Hyam likes this.
  3. Michael Hyam

Michael Hyam Member

image.jpeg Thanks Razor! I think Tokai spec'd them off this guitar owned by Rick Neilsen?

Razor and grausch like this.
  4. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Judging by the rear strap button location, I'd guess that's a '58. I've never owned an Explorer (much as I've always loved the shape), so I just assume that original strap button location was to produce a good balance when on a strap. I can't think why else it would've been so off-centre?

5. Michael Hyam

Michael Hyam Member

Yes, I think so. Mine has the button placed there also and it works perfectly. I never thought Explorers could be so comfortable to play. You just have to watch out if you swing around with them, the rear point collects an awful lot of wallops that way!

SG standard likes this.
  6. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

One of my better GC used acquisitions. Saw it listed for pennies. Bought now, asked questions later. Actually, I asked if it came with a case. I was dumbfounded when they said yes.
    I'm not worthy of it, but I'm glad I got it.

Epi '58.
    [​IMG]

grausch likes this.
  7. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

hey jvin248, I've heard the "I only buy black guitars to so the wife doesn't know I buy new ones" joke many times, but never saw someone actually do it ahahahha