Any other Greco SG owners out there?

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Strange Brew, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

Am surprised that there aren't more of these Grecos about.... I recently bought and rebuilt a 1980 MIJ SG - it would best be described as a kind of 1964/65 reissue - if you like...

well, I finally got round to gigging it - last Sunday afternoon in a local pub... as part of the town's festival. I got to do three numbers

I took my Strat as the main guitar, and the Greco SG as backup... good job too. The Strats' jackplug lead broke off inside the guitar, when i plugged in! Cue the Greco... played it thru a borrrowed Trace Elliot Velocette..... boy does it sound good. It is fitted with two Duncans, to be fair...a Pearly Gates at the bridge and a 59 at the neck. What a great combination. THe 59 with the tone rolled back to half way, has the Cream womantone nailed. The PG is great for those crackling lead moments.

The Greco itself, is among the nicest SGs I have owned. It's almost as light as the old Junior was..The neck is a delight....big and wide but not too chunky. Not too flat either.

The quality is up there with / better than Gibson. THe inlay work puts Gibbo to shame IMHO

I can't understand why more of you guys don't own them... or maybe - like me - you just haven't shouted about them...?

Anyone else care to share their experiences of them - good or bad...?

2. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

I haven't had much experience with their newer stuff, tho I do see them on ebay a lot and the ones I've seen look pretty good.

Incidentally, a Greco was my first electric back in the 60's, bugger had 5 pickups.....all of which sounded the same! I guess they have come a long way since then.

3. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

i've never seen a greco SG around here...only LPs which am not too interested in.

4. Strange Brew

Some pics....

[img width=360 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/ericclapton/DSCN4383.jpg[/img]

[img width=360 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/ericclapton/DSCN4385.jpg[/img]

[img width=360 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/ericclapton/DSCN4384.jpg[/img]

5. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

cool grain, just like my Orville by Gibson SG-62.

[img width=316 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Glampyre/Guitars/OBG1.jpg[/img]

anyway, both orville by gibson and greco are made in the same factory :p

6. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Like Weas, my experiences with them go back to the 60's and they didn't impress me. (I remember those 5 pup units Weas..... ;D) With your input Brew I'll need to take another look....... 8)

7. Yori Halford

Yori Halford Member

Great SG you got there... and nice pics!

I once owned a good clone of SG special. Its tone was just amazing. I was young and foolish, I had sold it...

Now I own one Greco SG. Here's mine... It's heavily moded.

[​IMG]
    Very nice guitar, indeed...

bwotw likes this.
  8. Red devil

Red devil Member

An igloo in the Canadian wilderness of Vancouver
    [quote author=Strange Brew link=topic=15063.msg193945#msg193945 date=1190358030]
    Some pics....

[img width=360 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/ericclapton/DSCN4383.jpg[/img]

[img width=360 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/ericclapton/DSCN4385.jpg[/img]

[img width=360 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/ericclapton/DSCN4384.jpg[/img]
    [/quote]
    From far it looks like a Gibson!

9. Strange Brew

Great replies there, guys..
    Everdying: I never knew they were mae in the same factory! That explains a lot... both fine guitars.

Sixer: I know all about old Japanese guitars - soem of them were ludicrous! :) In fact - just behind the Greco, you can just se the headsatock of a 1959 Japanese Guyatone (Futurama Freshman, in UK) Dire!
    But yes... I urge you to keep one eye open for 1980s MIJ Greco SGs. They are getting more popular but they are still as cheap as chips, right now.....

Yori..Yori..Yori.... :) I should've guessed ... a man of fine taste such as yourself was BOUND to have one! Thanks for the kind comments! Tell me? How does it compare to the Burnys, etc?

Red Devil: I have had friends play it and start saying what a nice Gibson it is, without even noticing that the headstock doesn't say "Gibson". ;D

10. Red devil

Red devil Member

An igloo in the Canadian wilderness of Vancouver
    Yeah the headstock logo looks exactly like the Gibson one...

Except smaller and it says Greco

11. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

[quote author=Strange Brew]

I took my Strat as the main guitar, and the Greco SG as backup... good job too. The Strats' jackplug lead broke off inside the guitar, when i plugged in! Cue the Greco... played it thru a borrrowed Trace Elliot Velocette..... boy does it sound good.

[/quote]

That's the same way Iommi became an SG user for life..............Strat was main guitar, SG was back up. Strat crapped out and he grabbed the SG, the rest as they say is "History"

12. fiftywatt

fiftywatt New Member

SB,

That is an exceptionally nice Greco SG. I have owned an '87 model just like yours. Mint Collection era.
    I just acquired another '87 that is the same but in creme white finish. Equally nice, much better than
    many Gibsons I've owned in the past.

13. DrBluzeman59

DrBluzeman59 Member

I have owned several Orville and Grecos ( again mostly same factory - Fuji Gen ) and The quality in wood workmanship and attention to detail is outstanding , Sometimes the pickups that come stock in these are many times not wax potted and in high gain amps may squal like pigs cranked up. Either wax pot em lightly or replace em with better pickups , but they are my GAS Soiution when it comes to Gibsons higher end prices if and when I cant get lucky on Ebay,Though most of my Japanese knock offs came from Ebay

14. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

man, there is one on ebay now currently at $160, with a bigsby. 2 days left.

now i have another freakin urge. thanks guys. >:(

15. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

16. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

good advice

not planning to bid on it anyhoo

17. DrBluzeman59

DrBluzeman59 Member

[quote author=brucewayne131 link=topic=15063.msg208428#msg208428 date=1205702550]
    This one here Phil?

Thats got a bolt on neck, you want the ones that have a set neck............much better ;)
    [/quote]

I gotta totally agree with Brucewayne there, If your going to get a Jap Replica Gibson knock off, dont go half way
    Many of the Orville/ Grecos made by Fuji in SG and ES have even longer neck tenons than the Les Paul models, Better sustain and guitar resonance qualities not to mention good woods and just over all craftsmanship

18. gw_bluesman

gw_bluesman New Member

I posted this as a reply to a different post but it also fits here so I pasted it ...

I'm a new member but been playing guitar for over 30 years. The SG has always been my favorite guitar and I learned on a Sam Ash, Carlo Robelli SG.

Over the years I have had about a half dozen and today have 3 .... 1- 1965 SG STD (Cherry), 1-1965 SG Custom (White) & 1995 Orville SG STD copy (Cherry)

Hands down, my Orville slays anything else I have and frankly I do not play the 1965's any more for investment reasons. Just last year I sold off my 2001 SG STD since I keep reaching for the Orville.

The 2001 was not a bad guitar, but it simply had no "vibe" to it ... the neck was ok, not the crapy thin neck like a 61 re-issue (and what is also on my 65 STD). My 65 Custom neck at least has a little beef on it of course when I got it in the 70's I had to refret it, can't play on those "fretless-wonder" frets.

Any way, I intend to try a few more Japanese SG's but I can tell you the Orville is great. The neck is more like the Guitar Center, 62 Custom Shop (reissue) which is maybe the best SG I have ever played. They are floating around at $2K and under. However, next in line would be my Orville and I am saying this as I guy with 2 oldies.

As for Greco specificially ..... I have a 1980, copy of an ES 336 (small body ES 335) that is beautiful. What's funny is that it came out 20+ years before Gibson released the ES 336. Bottom line, do not be afraid of some of the MIJ guitars.

19. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

20. GibsonWarrior

GibsonWarrior Member

I have recently picked up an Orville '62? Reissue SG and an Orville Les Paul Custom. Both are superbly built and compare favourably with my Gibsons but are of course a fraction of the price. I also own an 80's Greco LPC which is a very nice guitar too.

The Orville SG's neck is a touch beefier than my Gibson '61 RI and i must say i prefer the Orville neck!!!

I will post pics when i get a chance!!