Any Rivera owners here?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by NoOrangeJuice, Jan 10, 2018.

1. NoOrangeJuice

NoOrangeJuice New Member

I bought a used Rivera M60 recently and I love it. Its pretty old but the guy I bought it from had taken care of it. I almost went with one of the new Riveras but I prefer to buy from people I know in person instead of online. I think the M60 sounds great with my SG, better than the Fender twin reverb I had (Though I didn't have the SG back then.) Anyone else jumped on these amps? What models do you have and did you make any modifications to them? Pic related is not mine but the model that I have. I can upload pics later

Attached Files:

2. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I've owned several Riveras and I am definitely a fan. In fact, the first one that i had was an M-60 (head) and it was a killer amp. Soo versatile and great tones clean or distorted. It's one of the ones that I miss. Have also owned an R-55 and a Pubster, also great amps.
    Other than a bit of tube rolling and speaker changes I have never modded my Riveras, they are great out of the box.

The new Clubster Royale has my attention:
    http://www.rivera.com/product/heads/clubster-royale-recording-top/
    Looking forward to checking one out.

syscokid likes this.
  3. NoOrangeJuice

NoOrangeJuice New Member

I actually did get to play the clubster royale in my search. Definitely an awesome amp. I was a bit intimidated by the M60's tonal options, push pull knobs "ninja boost" etc. But I spent a good week getting familiar and dialing it in and now I feel like I have the perfect distorted/clean combo for my style. I think mine is a bit loud when idle, but I imagine a good cleaning and a visit to my amp guy might help that. I was really shocked by how loud it can get for a 1x12.

If you're looking for one, Reverb has some really good deals on them. Nearly bought a Quiana off reverb but the dude I was buying the M60 from was a good sales man hah.

4. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Definitely will check one out next time I am at the dealer. Closest to me is True Tone Music in Santa Monica, and since I am in the South Bay I only get up there every 4-6 months. Not necessarily in the market for any new amps at the moment but if it sounds as sweet as it seems I may have to bite the bullet.

5. NoOrangeJuice

NoOrangeJuice New Member

I'm in the east bay, bought my M60 from a guy in Valejo. Theres a couple on craigslist that look real cool. Like this one: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/d/rivera-fandango-head-cab/6453957396.html

syscokid likes this.
  6. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Aww man, that is sweet. I had my heart set on a Fandango for a while but never got one for some reason. Sure is tempting at that price.

7. NoOrangeJuice

NoOrangeJuice New Member

Yeah man, look around. I got my M60 for $700 and I could have talked it lower but I liked the guy. There are a few other models in the area as well. I think someone was selling a Knucklehead for like $800, and I know on reverb there is someone selling an M60 for under $500 in Sacramento. If you've got the gas for a new amp, they're around for pretty cheap.

The newer ones go for a bit more because they are newer and a bit more "boutique" looking if you catch my drift lol.

8. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

I have a 50 watt Quiana 4x10... 6L6's...
    Fandango's are EL34's.
    My Quiana combo is a monster of an amp... :dude:

Welcome to ETSG ... :cheers:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  9. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

:cheers:Yeah, welcome to ETSG!

NoOrangeJuice likes this.
  10. NoOrangeJuice

NoOrangeJuice New Member

Cheers thanks!

thatbastarddon likes this.
  11. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I don’t have a Rivera as such, but I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb II (1982-86 model, not sure which year) that was designed by Paul Rivera. 22W, very nice amp.

NoOrangeJuice and syscokid like this.
  12. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

arcticsg and NoOrangeJuice like this.
  13. NoOrangeJuice

NoOrangeJuice New Member

Thats an awesome amp, Rivera amps is basically his work after fender.

No kidding, I've heard the fandango is polarizing in the way that it sounds but with as many controls as it has I'm sure you can make it suit your need.

Gahr likes this.
  14. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess people don't agree on wether the DR II is good or not. People mainly react to the OD channel. I can understand, but the clean channel is pure bliss. You've got a couple of push/pull switches and a separate gain knob, so the options are fairly varied with the OD channel, and I dare say you can get a lot of sweet tones out of it if you just tweak it a little. I mainly use the clean channel, though. Turn it up and it distorts like a classic Deluxe.

That being said, I almost exclusively play my Vox AC30 these days...

15. NoOrangeJuice

NoOrangeJuice New Member

Nearly bought an AC30 before I found my M60, maybe someday..

16. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Not really in the market for any amps at the moment. My current go-to amps are both Mesas, and they are taking care of business just fine at the moment. But, would like another Rivera. They have a "family" tone that I really enjoy.

17. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Rivera, but not an amp

[​IMG]

18. nico1975

nico1975 Active Member

Never had a Rivera But I remember when I was looking for an amp I found this test on YouTube of the little Venus, together with an SG...I really loved the sound coming out of that amp!

syscokid and gball like this.
  19. gball

gball Well-Known Member

That video does a better job of nailing the Rivera "family tone" than any I think I have seen. There's a way they sound with chords that is really unique. The other thing is that they are among the best-built amps I have ever seen at any price.

20. NoOrangeJuice

NoOrangeJuice New Member

That was actually the video that convinced me to get an SG and made me want a Rivera with it. you're spot on about the sound of chords with these amps.