Any Roland Jazz Chorus players here?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by living room rocker, Jul 6, 2019.

1. living room rocker

living room rocker Member

After watching several demo videos, seems this amp (specifically the JC-40) might satisfy my tonal palette but haven't played through one. The local GC never stocks a floor model. Currently using an inexpensive solid state Fender modeling amp. Enjoy the occasional foray to the British and metal models, but w/o a doubt the clean Blackface tones are my favorite. These JC's are solid state, have adequate volume for my use, don't require software tweaking, possess popular onboard effects and are super clean apparently. Just looking for some comments pro/con from any JC users.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  2. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Never played a JC proper (but I definitely want to). That said, I've played plenty of Roland amps with the clean channels modeled after the Jazz Chorus.

It's a gorgeous clean tone, but it's an unforgivingly gorgeous clean tone... There's not even the slightest bit of softness or compression to the sound, so you have to play very, accurately. But if you want to become a better player, it helps. And when you do play well, then man. The cleans dont get much better.

living room rocker likes this.
  3. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

I have an older JC-120. The clean tone is amazing, as other have stated, it one of the best there is. The built in distortion is for **** and you'll want a pedal for anything along those lines.

4. living room rocker

Do you recall Clifdawg, which specific Roland amp(s) possess that JC clean channel modeling you mentioned?

5. living room rocker

I've heard others say the same thing regarding the distortion on the JC-120 flognoth. The JC-40's have apparently been revised and it's said to be more usable, but haven't heard it in person. Thanks for commenting.

6. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Roland Micro Cube, and the Katana 100 (using the "sneaky amps").

If it helps, both of those amps made me want a real JC-40, I just don't have a need for one. :thumb:

7. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Played thru a Roland JC77, and a 120 for several years. I'll state the obvious, the cleans are everything Fender always wanted but never quite achieved. Chrystal clean, almost hi fi in the tone. The chorus is from someone's wet dream, and the reverb is a joy to play with. The dirty channel is...… well, it sounds broken. I've heard Roland tweaked the dirt, but it may not be to everyone's personal taste.

For the last decade I have been using the original tweed Blues Cube. in my opinion, MUCH better then the JC series.

8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The best set up IMO is a JC-120 for cleans and another amp of your choice for hi gain and have an ABY foot switch in place to switch between the two amps.

flognoth and living room rocker like this.
  9. living room rocker

The Blues Cube series has intrigued me too. Given my late in life guitar playing start, probably won't garner the experience you vets have with different amps/gear. I'll be living with my next amp for awhile......it's why I'm giving due diligence to the next choice. While the tube amps sound attractive and have an aural tone/response only you guys understand, I believe solid state is my preferred choice. I'll be playing bedroom volume most always and really only use reverb, chorus and occasionally higher gain. The Blues Cube series.......plenty of clean headroom and relatively easy operation w/o using computer software? I know reverb is an onboard feature.......your other effects via pedals? Btw, appreciate the feedback. I enjoy reading the advice and feedback from the veteran "been there/done that" crowd. You guys know what works and aren't drawn in by the latest fads.

10. living room rocker

Most def sounds like an awesome setup.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  11. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Yep, I like the setup he uses in the first two minutes of the clip.

12. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I gigged with a JC-77 and 5 Boss pedals for 11 years.
    The amplifier sounded great and was super reliable.
    It literally lived in my car in the NE USA for 11 years
    and just kept going. The amplifier is still working.
    It has been on long term loan to a recording studio
    on Long Island for years now. It's unstoppable.

13. scribblesomething

scribblesomething New Member

I have a JC 40. It’s a great clean amp. Awesome pedal platform with really good reverb and glorious chorus.

The new distortion isn’t bad if you take it for what it is. If I use the distortion I use it lightly like an edge of break up kind of thing. Full on it’s actually pretty great for heavy punk rock aggression stuff. As distortion goes up turn the highs down or it gets spiky brittle.

Though for gain I’ve been using a Caroline Cannonball full up and turning the guitar volume down for cleanish. It’s great.

I saw a review that said the EQ is the key to the JC40. It’s a full response amp so you have to adjust the eq for guitar.

I got mine used for a good price. But I was very close to buying one new from GC. It’s such a better deal than the fender reissues.

The beginning of this video should sell you on it. It was the final nail for me.

14. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

If you're using the amplifier as a pedal platform and getting ALL your sounds from your pedalboard you need an amp that has one good clean channel. Almost nothing beats a Roland JC for that.

scribblesomething likes this.