Any solid state amp users?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Lumpy Waters, May 3, 2013.

1. Lumpy Waters

Lumpy Waters Member

Seems like there is a strong tendency here amongst our forum members towards tube amps and simple pedal setups, if effects are used at all, and a respect for the current digital modelling technology in plug-an-play amps for practice or for other situations. Makes sense given the pedigree and the simple aesthetics and straightforward design and sound of the SG. But I wonder if there are any fans of good, analog, non-modelling type solid state amps out there. IMO, solid state clean can be really nice and the better solid state amps can have pretty decent overdrive tones as well.

Raiyn likes this.
  2. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

You'll find a few. I myself used to love my old Peavey solid state before it gave up. I replaced it with a Vox VT20+, which probably has my favourite distortion sound I've had so far in my small bedroom amps. Doesn't really fit under your category though as it's both a modeller and a hybrid. Not sure if this counts, but another of my favourites is a Vox Amplug, I love the sounds that it makes and it was the trigger that got me exploring more Voxes.

If you search a litte further back in this forum you'll find a thread called "I'm coming out of the amp closet" by Wade (Tobacco Worm). In there you'll find people talking about solid states they like.

Col Mustard likes this.
  3. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

I have a little 15W S/S Marshall that I absolutely love. I'm not saying that it's the best, but it does exactly what I want it to do.
    My little Marshall is way loud enough for me, and has excellent overdrive when turned up. On "normal" levels, it's cleans are absolutely beautiful.
    As I'm only a lounge room player, I really don't see the need for huge tube amps, although I must admit, a '65 Twin Reverb or a Hot Rod Deville would be nice...:naughty:

jjudas and Biddlin like this.
  4. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Lumpy Waters,

I LOVE Solid State amps! Good old analog tranny amps are wonderful!:thumb:

From the old Peaveys to the new Tech21s, shucks I think they're great. And right now I've two that are simply the best amps I've had in ages. Fender makes great SS amps and I play both a discontinued Frontman 65R and a current Frontman 25R II. People say the Frontman series are beginner amps and they suck for any kind of tone imagined, but I've serviced, repaired, and built amps for the past 3 1/2 decades and I say that is balonny!! The FM amps from Fender are highly under rated, but I live, eat, sleep, and dream circuits! Those are well designed and built, period. Peavey, Crate, Tech 21, and many more build good SS amps that are first class devices. Crate lately has done things with their SS amps that defy logic at times. Well voiced, and tone that oozes from them that will make ya cry. Yeah, I like Solid State.... could ya tell?:naughty:

Sure, some folks believe that a tube amp is the only "real" amp, and be ready for many to join in on this thread as they fire off round after round of attacks against the SS. So prepare for the "Oh, yeah there's some pretty good things they're done with SS, but nothing comes close to a real tube amp. I play (fill in the brand name) tube amp and it's the best." It's a never ending, and pointless battle. One I refuse to engage in anymore...

Well, that's my take on Solid State amps. Brace yourself for the tube bombardment to come!!

Wade

kiko and Biddlin like this.
  5. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with solid state. I had a Gallien-Krueger back in the late 70's that was really nice. Adrian Belew used Rolands forever and sounded unbelievable. There are no rules, it's all very subjective.

slappy2x and Voxman like this.
  6. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Has Amp Jedi Tworm gone over to the dark side? [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  7. Tobacco Worm

A slightly distorted voice says "Luke. *wheeze* Come to the dark side. *wheeze* We've got cookies." :)

8. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

Well, there's one rule...Make it sound good!

9. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Although I love my tube amps I gig regularly on SS amps and have no problem with them at all.

Smallest places get the Crate GXF 15, the biggest get a Yamaha G100-III.

I play with a clean basic amp tone so tube distortion is not an issue.

10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

11. Buffalo B

Buffalo B Member

its hard to beat a lot of old peavey's 1-12 Bandit . one of my favorites.

slappy2x likes this.
  12. Tobacco Worm

Oh, Seeing that the OD from the amp was mentioned by David reminds me, and I think the OP asked about that as well......
    Both my SS Fenders have really good OD channels.... The 65w has an independent tone block, and the 25w has a shared TB but it is a killer little amp with the OD kicked in and nothing added.... There's times I don't even use my fabled RAT or Bad Monkey, or Joyo UD or any of the many other dirt boxes I have stashed away! I'll just run the amp's OD an wail my face off and have great tone to boot....I couldn't say that when I had those old Vox or Baldwins and other early SS amps made around '70 or so...That had rotten OD in them!

13. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

I am with Sootio when stated "there is only one rule... make it sound good!".
    Even though i am a tube guy, i have had a few SS amps that have made me happy.
    Gibson Lab Series amps have a sweet spot with me. I had an L5, for a while, that was mighty fine, tone wise.
    I just got my mitts on a 72 Kustom K250-2 that shows some serious promise.

[​IMG]

I like a bit of grit from an amp, and the heavy gain from pedals lately. It doesn't matter to me wether it's tube, or not...as long as it sounds good.

14. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

those are classic SS amps - didn't BB King use one?

15. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

Yes, and Ty Tabor(kings x) i guess was fond of them. Moog designed.

16. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Active Member

I'll use practicly any and that's in use at the time. In our practices last week, I used a vox ac15, Marshall mg100 n a 412 cab, a line 6 spider 2, line 6 vetta and a matchless on the gig. By far the matchless was the sweetist sound followed by my vox ac15. The Marshall was really cool as was the vetta, but the spider 2 I really hate, everything about it was horrid. I use to have a spider 3, some of the presets were ok on it but I still hated that one too. I think its a case of you just can't play it, you have to fiddle with the dame thing. It even adds effects to the clean sound :mad:. The Marshall was easy to use and has a pleasent sound, so was the vetta, but that was already setup to use and looks complicated. I like my valve amps, but have no hang ups on ss. But some digital modeling amps are just to complicated for me.

17. nbeersiii

nbeersiii Well-Known Member

I love solid state amps. I play through a Fender stage 100 that I converted from 1x12 to 2x10. I love it. Afriend just gave me an old peavey musician head and 4x12 cab. It took some cleaning of the pots but I have it working pretty good. Built in tremelo and distortion and fuzz on one channel and clean to dirty on the other channel. This thing is freakin loud too. So yeah I am a solid state amp guy.

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  18. Tobacco Worm

thinkgreen,

I too am not a real fan of the Line 6 Spider stuff. Far too many digital things going on there to produce anything that is really good in my view. Had a Spider II 75w (?) that was part of a trade a year or so ago. It was, um, shall I say, not to my liking at all. As you so well put, it was horrid. As soon as I found a buyer, it was gone!

Neil,

That Stage 110 conversion sounds interesting. A pair of 10's eh? Bet it screams!! Had a Stage 160 some years ago with the twin 12's and was so damn loud I couldn't use is at many gigs as I was blasting my buddies off the stage! That amp was brutal! But cranked it had tone galore...
    That old Peavey sounds interesting. I don't think I recall ever seeing one. A good project you have to play with huh?

Wade

19. nbeersiii

nbeersiii Well-Known Member

Yeah Wade the reason I converted the Stage 100 was becuase I played an outside gig and the other guitar player had a fender twin reverb and that single 12 next to that thing just sounded thin. So I have an old Fender prinston that was a 2x10 combo. I just swaped the housings and wired the speakers up the right way and it really helped. I like it alot. The peavey was a mess when I got it. Had to rewire the cab and do some major cleaning on all the pots but it works pretty good and is louder than all get out. The distortion and fuzz both sound like fuzz to me. I was wondering if maybe the distorion had the fuzz circut bleeding through maybe? Its a 73 model I think. Hey it was free so Im not complaining and I like the older stuff anyway. I agree on the Line6 stuff. Hate it.

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  20. Tobacco Worm

Well Sat. I completed my "Digital Detox" and sold the Fender Vibro Champ XD amp and the Zoom G7.1ut processor. I'm now 100% analog transistor powered in the amp department. Just the Fender Frontman 65R and 25R II for my amps now. All analog pedals too. Kinda makes me feel like I just took a long hot shower after rolling around in processed mud!:laugh2:

Having no digital influence to the signal, the clarity I hear now is amazing to my wounded old ears. With the stroke taking quite a bit of strength from my right hand I can hold a pick just so long and then it falls from my grasp and thus I now usually play with fingers alone. Being semi-forced into the use of fingers has really opened up a whole new sound for me. Kinda like a cross between Jeff Beck and Albert King.

The use of the solid state amps with their super clear and clean tones just feels right to me now. And when I step on a RAT or one of the other dirtboxes, it makes things jump out and slap ya in the face. Yeah, it's good for me anyway to be free from the digital, and be 100% all tranny amped now. This may not be what some think as finding "the tone", but for this old man, it's the tone I like to hear. I guess that's good enough really in the long run eh? :hmm:

Wade

dbb likes this.