Any solid state amp users?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Lumpy Waters, May 3, 2013.

1. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

I must laugh at myself for a moment here. Remember a year or so ago when I when into my "I don't do digital" mode and shed all digital things from my area? One of those things was a limited edition of a Crate SS/DSP 30 watter that had fantastic tone and depth... Fortunately it was just across the road and is now back home... The Crate, a RFX30 Retrofex, is a 2004 version of the series Crate built with the 16 position rotary switching and incorporating semi-adjustable digital effects into the mix. But the overall tone generated from this pedal friendly SS amp brings tears to my eyes as it's so rich and lush. The bass response is remarkable! I was an idiot to sell it, but Bill knowing I was down to only one amp, my faithful Peavey Backstage (80's version) brought the Crate back to me. The two are quite happy together and sit side by side and this tuckered out old man will sit with them and get lost in their solid state splendor. Yeppers, I'm a SS guy all the way and proud to say it. :)

Alex_SG likes this.
  2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Wade, my Crate GFX played many tiny-ass gigs, made the 40 bucks I paid for it over and over again, gave up the ghost....but it had a nice fat clean tone that worked at the volume levels I had to play down to.

BTW, I'm happy you're still with us!

Alex_SG likes this.
  3. Tobacco Worm

Some Crate amps will surprise folks. I was playing a bit earlier yesterday with the Crate and my humble inexpensive little Bullet Strat and it sounded just divine. Was doing some drone-like picking with a touch of Dorian mode style stuff and with the open strings ringing and such combined with the super rich tones from the Crate I was having the time of my life...

Yes sir, that makes two of us! Have some good days and some, well, not very good ones at all. So far still upright. Don't know for how long, but I'll take it one day at a time...

Alex_SG likes this.
  4. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Hau Kola! Good to see you are still here! We're all rooting for you!
    As much as I love that all-tube Ibanez, I still have a soft spot for the little 15W SS Marshall! It definitely takes pedals better, and has a nice clear tone, with almost Fender like cleans, all the way to the typical Marshall overdriven growl.

Tobacco Worm and Biddlin like this.
  5. Coltbuca

Coltbuca New Member

Glad to see many of my fellow SG players use a Peavey SS.
    My Peavey Audition 30 has been my only amp for the last 27 years. Every time I think about a tube amp I stop myself by playing my Peavey SS. Right now Guitar Center has the Fender Excelisor for $199, so I'm gonna stay strong and keep play in my audition 30 until the new amp thoughts leave my head.

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  6. Tobacco Worm

Aye, many a Peavey from the early to mid '80's possess a strange voodoo within them that defies modern science, or so it's said. Me, well I believe after being inside amp's guts fixing them for three decades that the Peavey designs of the day were just plain well done. Not too much crap jammed inside to make the circuits susceptible to early failure, but rather made ultra stout with basic solid performance as the goal. In doing so they were the "Battle Tanks of Tone" in the day and beyond. :)

My other favorites are the Fender Frontline series starting with the 25R on up. The little ones are alright, but lack bottom, but the 25R is a dandy. Now discontinued by Fender (mistake!!!) they replaced series with DSP stuff to keep up with the competition. However, the Frontline series hold mountains of tone. I had a 25R and a 65R that were dripping with lush cleans that would melt Darth Vader's heart. And if one knew what he was doing, the OD channel could be dialed in with some killer overtones that would make the Reverend Willy sit up and smile a big Texas grin! :thumb:

Alex_SG likes this.
  7. Marshallfender

Marshallfender New Member

Randall RG 30

Here's a Randall RG 30 I picked up recently. Good clean sound and it takes OD pedals well also. Thing sounds very good. I'm sure the 73 Creamback G12M that was in it(why I bought it) is helping a bit!! :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  8. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I am a Solid State user.......and DARN proud of it
    [​IMG]

9. SG Player

SG Player New Member

I use this little Line 6 Spyder IV model amp (15 watts) when wife & kids are home (Wife hates guitar)
    [​IMG]
    Wife and daughters listen to R&B and Hip Hop/Rap
    I listen to metal/rock/alternative

eS.G. likes this.
  10. pdxtom

pdxtom Member

I started out with an old Randall amp and then when I went on the road took a Peavey Bandit 65 with me and it lasted all of the years I was playing professionally..
    These days I have a Fender Mustang III.
    I have never used anything BUT solid state amps.

11. sg jones

sg jones Member

I bought one of the last new Vox Pathfinder 15r's that I could find and installed the amp in an old Peavy cab with a 12". The SG sounds good through it to me.... Still have the Bandit but it's way more than I need for now.

Attached Files:

Biddlin, thatbastarddon and eS.G. like this.
  12. Custom53

Custom53 Member

My Solid State collection...

Circa 1966 Kustom Prototype.. Along with one of my '70s Acoustic Control Cooperation 371's behind it..
    [​IMG]

Mid to late '60's Vox Buckingham with a Vox Sovereign 4x12 Cabinet..
    [​IMG]

And my other Acoustic 371..
    [​IMG]

eS.G., sg jones and thatbastarddon like this.
  13. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

I got me a Peavey Minx 110 bass amp, and it kicks ass.

[​IMG]

:dude:

Attached Files:

eS.G. likes this.
  14. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

I have a little 15W Marshall G15RCD practice amp, and it's damn nice!!!

[​IMG]

eS.G. and LeadFinger like this.
  15. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

MUSTANG BABY!
    [​IMG]

eatnosenuggets and Alex_SG like this.
  16. AngusMadeMeDoIt

AngusMadeMeDoIt Well-Known Member

I am a tube amp guy but practice on a solid state orange crush at home with headphones when I dont need the volume and dont wanna disturb anyone. It gets the job done.

17. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    I play valve amps mostly, but for late night quiet practice, I do have a solid state:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

chilipeppermaniac, eS.G. and Alex_SG like this.
  18. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I just sold my Behringer GOD OF THUNDER bass amp.......I don't know WTF they put in that "Dynamizer" technology but......DAMN! The thing would shake the concrete foundation of my house on level 3 I was afraid to hit 10 for fear of opening a worm hole and being sucked into a different dimension....one where the Pittsburgh Steelers don't suck! (see what I did there Pit??) lol

Anyway.....I broke even on the deal.....and I was feeling a little crappy about it.....but then the fella that picked it up told me it was for his Son, who is Autistic and has picked up the bass....I hope they don't live in an apartment!!!!! They wont for long. But glad a young budding musician will now posses all the power to murder his neighbor, or blow her clothes off....with sound waves!

And so I needed a small, good sounding practice amp for bass.....one that I can actually tolerate......sorry folks TBTH I am very sensitive to sound these days (probably due to blasting the sh** out my eardrums for so long) or maybe I am just old......but I watch television from across the room on about 1/4 vol. (drives the wife nuts) and the commercials I have to mute, but much more actually hurts my ears and makes me want to stab things :-o

Sooooooo I had to do it..........I HAD TO I say...free shipping and its a VOX--BASS amp.....VOX ....mmmmmmm
    [​IMG]
    Solid State VOX-ie goodness (loves me some VOX) 2 count them 2 5" BULLDOG (o.k. Bulldog pup) speakers and 10 watts OF BASS DELIVERING FURY!!!!!!! I shoulda taken fewer marketing classes in school.......
    Vox Pathfinder Bass 10 2x5" 10-Watt Bass Combo | Sweetwater.com

19. Jaws

Jaws Member

I have an emotional thing for tube amps, but I won't turn up my nose at anything as long as it sounds good. I had a SS Peavey trans tube supreme 100 head that was pretty excellent at metal. It had this tube dynamics knob that would kinda simulate power tube compression. It was just really dynamic and rich in its own way. Great spring reverb too.

Also my peavey TNT 115 bass amp is pretty sweet. Nice features and power and inexpensive. Good value for sure.

And as soon as I find myself an Ampeg VH140c I'm going to snatch it up for the old skool death metal.

eS.G. likes this.
  20. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

UH OH! long post disclaimer! skip this if you don't like to chew through my ramblings.
    I didn't know I was going to write so much. You must have inspired some memories and ruminations.

Listen:

I'm not a purist of any kind... I remember the amps of the old days, and they were often
    unreliable--at least the used POS's that I could afford were. I never had a new amp until a few years ago. ...when I became a tone hound finally.

But I played my bass in the beginning through an old Traynor tube amp 1/15. That was a good amp, and gave good service for a number of years before I got tired of trying to get it repaired. I used a number of other undistinguished '70s style amps until I got a good deal on an old '65 Fender Twin Reverb. I loved that amp! It was painfully loud, so loud that I could never use it past about 6 given the styles I play and the rooms I played. And HEAVY! But I was young and tough and loved that amp. Somebody boshed in my car window and stole it one night, fast... while I was in a restaurant getting carry out coffee. They might have targeted me and followed me from the gig, trying to get my bass too. Dunno. But the bass was in the trunk, and they didn't get that. I still have it.

Eventually I found a Fender Bassman Compact 1/15... I think it was about 60 Watts,
    but I could never use it on full power anyway, so I never thought much about it. That amp was from the early 80s maybe, Solid State and solid as a rock. It weighed about
    forty pounds, and so seemed quite light compared to others I'd used. That one gave good service for about 25 years of gigging. An excellent bass amp. I liked it so much I bought a custom padded cover for it. Which helped keep it good.
    [​IMG]
    Just recently I've fallen for much smaller amps in general, and after having played at several venues and festivals where several groups played on the same stage and shared things like bass amps, I fell in love with the Roland CB-60XL. I had to play through several like it before settling on this one. But this little solid state amp does a number of things really well. its clean settings are great, the models are mostly ones I wouldn't use but there are three that I like. It's surprisingly loud with its little 10" speaker and the two 'ports' in the bottom of the front panel, but it's also got an XLR out, so I can run it into the P.A. and let the soundman mix for the audience. Through the mains it sounds HUGE, and I love the tone. I love being able to pick it up with one hand, pick up my bass with the other and walk out (or walk in).
    [​IMG]
    Technology has changed a lot, and less is more in many cases. The soundman, he says the same. If the sound man doesn't have to hump giant cabs around any more, (and can get good sound) he's happy. As a bassist, I've always looked at that as part of the job... just pick up the damned thing and haul it. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, just do it. So the fact that I can get great tone and projection from this little Roland makes me very happy. I sold my trusty old Bassman Compact to a young guy. for a hundred bucks. he was happy too. *grins. May it serve him well. SS rocks IMHO.

Having said all that... I have to admit that as a guitarist, I've been exploring tube technology again. I bought a Vox VT-30 which is a hybrid (perfect for a non purist).
    It's got solid state pre-amp stage and a 12AX7 in the output stage. And it sounds great with my favorite faded special SG. This amp is also a modeler, and is not just too much but WAY TOO MUCH... I'll never use about 80% of what it offers. But they sell these world wide, to performers of many stripes. so one man's ceiling is another man's floor.

The clean setting is great, and responds very well to my simple pedal board with an overdrive and and EQ pedal on it. I bought the big Vox footpedal which enables me to switch among presets, and have found that to be very valuable. (I use only two). I had to study this amp for a long learning curve before I learned how to keep things simple... go figure. But this Vox does simple very well. It's a keeper. As a hybrid, it unplugs the argument about ye tubes versus ye solid state. Let's just play some music, what do you say?
    [​IMG]
    For Solid State, I have to admit that I like to run a Roland Micro Cube into a 450W Behringer powered P.A. speaker. This compact little rig also packs a wallop, but the
    J.C. Clean model on the Roland is really excellent, as is the Fender model. It has a usable chorus and delay.

Attached Files:

lineboat, sg jones, dbb and 1 other person like this.