Any solid state amp users?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Lumpy Waters, May 3, 2013.

1. JereSG

JereSG Member

I play nothing but solid state amps. I love them for a variety of reasons such as:

1. Cost
    2. Reliability
    3. Nearly perfect cleans

I picked up an Orange Crush CR60C and I think it sounds great. But the clean on this amp is a little dirty.

dbb likes this.
  2. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Funny, I usually would pass on solid states but lately I had some fun with a Marshall CODE50. Also I can deny it, I did started to play guitar on a solid state, a Peavey Backstage.

3. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I just traded in a 150w Fender Mustang IV v.2 (GREAT modeling amp, especially for Fender tones) for a gently used, latest-model Peavey Bandit 112 and a Fulltone COD overdrive (pedal darn near cost the same as the amp). I'm running my Gibson SG solely through a Dunlop Crybaby and the OCD into the Bandit and the sounds I get are absolutely delicious.

I know everyone talks about the US-made "red-stripe" Bandits but the latest models have a "Warm" clean voicing that takes the OCD very well - its simply one of the best blues tones I've heard, hands down. Combing the OCD with the "Classic" or "High gain" voicings with low preamp gain gives me everything from Marshall raunch to all-out Dual-Rec style filth.

I think I'm going to throw a Joyo D-Seed delay in my pedal chain (which has some chorus built in) and maybe upgrade the speaker to the popular-for-this-amp Eminence Texas Heat for more clarity and power handling. But after using this rig? I don't even want to go back to tubes. No joke.

4. Scott Hutchens

Scott Hutchens New Member

I have great tube amps like Mesa/Boogie Mark 3, old Marshalls, and old Fenders that all sound wonderful but I really also like good SS amps. I especially like my mid--late 90's FET designed Roland Blues Cube, (made before modeling amps came out). The new versions-especially the 100 watt head-are very expensive. These older ones used are not too costly if you can find them. It has a reallly vibrant, rich tube-like sound, and takes pedals very well. Two channels, each with their own master, plus an output master over both. It's one of the only amps I own with an effects loop. This amp gives me an easy "go to" sound. I also have an early 80's Yamaha G-100 with the semi-parametric EQ that I've always liked, they sounded good in their day but now by comparison I realize how sterile it is. However, Phil Keaggy used them for recording and live concerts with decent results. It can be good when using a tube pedal or stuff like Wampler pedals which fill out the tone very well. I also have a Marshall Lead 12 that's great for what it is and is a favorite for recording by people like Billy Gibbons.

dbb likes this.
  5. sg jones

sg jones Member

Thread back from the dead eh?

My current favorite is a Peavy Rage 258 I got last summer. I installed a speaker jack and most of the time run it through an old Epiphone 1x12 with a V128 installed. Will get plenty loud. Wished it had the boost option of my Bandit. 20160408_175818 (800x600).jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Do the Vox Valvetronix count as a SS, because they surely don't count as a tube amp ... oh no sir !

My AD30VT gets a lot of play at the cottage during summer. It lives there and I don't miss my tube amps back home while I'm playing it.

Casa 15-07-13.jpg

sg jones likes this.
  7. jjudas

jjudas Well-Known Member

I don't play in bands anymore. No more tube amps or stacks for me. Plug and play solid state all the way and small.
    ◆Acoustic G35fx - 35 watt 1- 12"
    ◆Fender Frontman PR241 - 38 watt played through a small Marshall cab with 1 - 10" Celestion
    ◆Epiphone 15 watt acoustic 2 channel amp
    20161227_194027.jpg 20160629_173318.jpg 20160616_204151.jpg

sg jones likes this.
  8. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

All solid state here

My amps are:

Orange CR120 (Primary band/gigging amp)
    Sunn Beta Lead
    AMT Stonehead 50-4
    Sunn Beta Bass
    Sunn Concert Bass

9. satchmodog

satchmodog Member

My first guitar amp was a Crate 20 watt and it had a pretty nice tone, but since I did buy it used, there were some issues with it. I later wound up with a Fender champion 100 which I love and then an Orange crush 20 for moving about the house or to a friend's home. My first bass amp was an Acoustic 20 and it's just Meh. Sounds like a pillow is used as a grill cover. So now I use it for acoustic guitar and purchased a Rumble 100 for bass and so far I'm happy with my Fender sounds. As I play more metal I may go Blackstar or Marshall.

10. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Member

I will pick up my first solid state amp soon, a boss katana. I'm pumped for it. Solid state technology and especially modeling amps have come a long way.

11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Indeed. It's going to be interesting comparing it to my current 30 some odd year old Peavey Envoy.

12. dexspeed

dexspeed Active Member

+1 on that Yamaha G100! (way back on page 1......Sorry!)

I've got an old B100 SS that is an absolute tank. Suits my bass indulgences just fine!

13. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

I use this old beast from time to time:
    [​IMG]

300 watts with built in effects. The fuzz is pretty good - the reverb is Accutronix so it is top notch.

DCCable, sg jones and Raiyn like this.
  14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

My old Peavey's not going anywhere. I've got it squirreled away so SWMBO won't find it until I'm gone.....

15. lcw

lcw Active Member

Any solid state amp users? I am now... ;)
    Katana_3.jpg

Raiyn likes this.
  16. satchmodog

satchmodog Member

Peavy has a lot of really nice sounding amps.That particular one I've never seen before

17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Active Member

I'm a proponent of both. I like the versatility, reliability, and amazing modelling capability of solid state, but still hear and feel the difference with a good tube amp. If I had to choose, I'd keep both ;)

18. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

I believe this one was made in the late 60's. It's a cool design in that it was supposed to be completely modular amongst the various models in their product line. Inside are a series of smaller circuit boards, one for the control panel, one for each effect and so on. The idea was they could build several different amp types just by adding or subtracting mini boards as required.

Peavey was a cool dude - his vision was to give good sound equipment to the hungry masses - this was part of that and it's still cranking today.

satchmodog likes this.
  19. shardy53

shardy53 Active Member

A Roland Jazz Chorus 40 2x10
    Peavey Backstage chorus 208

I stupidly sold a 1977 Lab series L5 30 years ago. I think I put the money up my nose to boot.

20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It was a 10 year old amp at the time.......so not a big deal at the time. Bigger, better, newer......
    The nose candy I can't help you with.