Anybody fitted a Gibson SG in an Epiphone case; does it fit?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Bettyboo, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

I ask because I have the itch to buy a new guitar, and currently have, might have, two options; one comes with a case and one does not. The shop that has the one not in a case doesn't sell Gibson cases, but sells Epiphone SG cases for under $100. I've heard these cases are pretty good and a left handed guitar can fit in the Epiphone case. I'm sure my Epiphone SG will enjoy the case if I decide to buy a Gibson or Gator case later.

Anybody put a Gibson SG in an Epiphone case? If so, was it ok. Per chance, anybody stuck a lefthanded Gibson into an Epiphone case? :D

DoodoaXD likes this.
  2. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

I have a (possibly discontinued) skb hardcase that I have stored both gibson and epiphone sg's in. It's not a great cAse for alot of reasons, but its rugged and it works.

Bettyboo likes this.
  3. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Are the guitars and cases physically at the same store?

If so, will the store let you just try to put the guitar you want into the Epi case to see if it fits?

Bettyboo likes this.
  4. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

I looked at this when buying the case for my SGJ.. as I recall there is a difference, one being bigger than the other in terms of body size of the guitar, which is what pushed me to buy the Gibson Gear case. You can also buy direct from the Canadian manufacturer of Gibson's cases...

Karathas, Bettyboo and DoodoaXD like this.
  5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Yes, or at least everyone I'm aware of.
    ;>)/

Bettyboo likes this.
  6. DoodoaXD

DoodoaXD Well-Known Member

I personally use the Epiphone case, it fits perfect and is pretty light. I also have a gibson case, it looks amazing and really does show off what an amazing guitar you have, but it's really really heavy. I always leave the house with the Epi case; unless I'm meeting someone to impress, that's when the Gibson case comes in handy ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

If you take your guitar everywhere you go, I would suggest the Epi case or an SKB. They are much lighter than the Gibson cases and offer lots of protection.

Bettyboo likes this.
  7. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

All Epi cases fit the Gibbys, and vice versa, rest assured.

Bettyboo likes this.
  8. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I can answer this question, because I have a couple of Gibson cases and a bandmate with an Epi SG.

The Gibson SGs will fit in an Epiphone case. The Epiphone will not fit in a Gibson case. The Epi SG has a slightly more symmetrical body shape that makes it wider and the headstock is longer. These two things make it unable to fit in the tight Gibson cases. I have however seen many instances of Gibson SGs in Epiphone SG cases without any problems at all. The fit is still fairly tight. The Gibson cases are REALLY tight.

I tried this with the current Gibson case and the old '80s chainsaw case. In both cases my friend's P90 Epi SG would not fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    DoodoaXD, Bettyboo and Hector like this.
  9. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

+1 on what Dave said... Epis have a longer headstock too and will not fit into Gibson cases.
    ...AFAIK anyway.
    The case that will fit both is the SKB-61. I have two of those now, one for my '12 Gibson SG Spl and one for my '06 Epiphone Wilshire. Rugged, pricey but occasionally marked down under $100, at which time pounce immediately.

Bettyboo likes this.
  10. Dave_Death

Epi cases will suit both and they are cheap

DoodoaXD, ScottMarlowe and Bettyboo like this.
  11. Yes G

Yes G Active Member

Here's something strange about the SKB-61 SG case that I have. I just discovered today that although my 2007 white G400 fits in it nice and snug, my 2011 '61 Special and 2014 Worn Brown G-400 will not fit at all. The headstocks on these two newer guitars are 5/16" longer than the headstock on the 2007 and the overall length of the 2007 is 3/4" shorter than the 2011 and 2014 SGs. All three guitars fit into my Epiphone case and my TKL case though.

Bettyboo likes this.
  12. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I didn't know that! is your 2011 '61 Special an Epiphone?
    I thought my new Epi ES-339 has a headstock that just looks elongated, so maybe mine is
    the larger size too. I believe my Epi was made in 2014.

But the OP's question is answered: Yes, Gibbies should fit in an Epi case, but not necessarily
    the reverse. AND there are other members here who have said they like to take their Gibbie SG to
    gigs in an Epiphone case, hoping that thieves would not swipe it because the value of stolen Epiphones
    is low right now. The thief might get enough for a dime bag of crack.

13. Dave_Death

If you look at the photos above my friend's Epi '61 Special does not fit in either of my Gibson cases

14. Yes G

Yes G Active Member

Yes, all three of my SGs are the Epiphones shown in the pic.

They all fit into the Epiphone and TKL cases but only the white 2007 with the Humbuckers fit into the SKB case. The other two guitars are 3/4" longer.

For what it's worth, here are the internal dimensions for the SKB-61 case.
    Interior Overall Length 39.5"
    Interior Body Length 15.6"
    Interior Body Depth 3"
    Interior Lower Bout Width 13"
    Interior Upper Bout Width 10.75"

YesGx3.jpg

SKB SG Case 01 .jpg

Bettyboo likes this.