Anybody have any experience with the Callaham string-through bigsby shaft?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Logan, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Well-Known Member

Well, along with well cradled balls you also need a glob of nut sauce.
    Well sauced nuts with well cut grooves. Grooves slightly wider than your string gauges. with a nice gentle exit ramp and a clean sharp break point. You want the string to roll over the nut like a rope rolls over a pulley.
    Plastic nuts suck. Bone is better. Some of the synthetic stuff like Tusq and GraphTech would be the best for trem use. Well stretched out strings too. Stretch the hell out of em & keep retuning over & over. It's a labor of love but the results are worth it. .009's really shouldn't be a problem. Also make sure all the Bigsby pivot points are loose & lubed and moving freely. Especially the string roller bar on B5's & B7's.
    As Raiyn says, a roller bridge is also part of the ease of use program.. No need to spend big bux, I get cheap ones & drill & tap em' for locking setscrews. Just make sure the rollers all roll. I've gotten a stiff one before.
    Stu Mac sells this stuff, it's a grit impregnated string.
    Kinda like dental floss for your nuts. It's handy to deburr, smooth & polish nut slots & even metal saddles.
    http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Sanding_and_Polishing/Mitchell_Abrasive_Cord.html
    As far as locking tuners go... I don't use em but to each his own.
    Not saying they won't help, I've just never needed them.
    But I never have more than 3 or so wraps of string around the tuner posts. Less string length to loosen up & retension each time you wiggle the bar.
    Currently have 4 Bigsby sportin' guitars here and they stay in tune as well as anything else I have.

You can do it Relic, lube those nuts & cradle your balls, then you can wiggle your wang stick with the best of em'

Relic61 and SG standard like this.
  2. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I second the not needing locking tuner thang as a properly wound string wrapped under itself is locked in place by the tension it applies on itself, as my PRS, Fender & other Gibson guitars give testimony to.
    Simple enough trick but it works like a charm.

string wrapping tension pinch.JPG

Above is approaching more winds than I like on a tremolo'd guitar but it display the wrap & pinch look perfectly.

My pictures on the other hand...

First I like to stick it right in that tight lil' ol' hole, on a 90 degree angle to the string lengthwise.

PRS STRING WIND 2.JPG

Then I pull it under where the string enters into the eyelet & jerk it straight up with a tug until snug, or basically 'till all is good 'n tight! (see above)

(Below) Once it all feels taunt & tight just bend it right over that string we just went under & ...

PRS STRING WIND 4.JPG

Baam! There she is. All soon to be pinched & held tightly in place by that soon to be tightened string.

PRS String pinch wind thumb.png

Ah, that is my thumb you dirty bastard ya!

This string is ready to be cranked on & tightened to the point where I'll be able to wank on my wangbar as hard as I want & my $#it will never slip loose.

PRS STRING WIND 6.JPG

OK ladies, where done with the shoot, take 5. I'll be with y'all shortly.

I always lube my nuts too. Even on guitars that don't have bars.

OK, so If you think I'm ready to cradle these balls a mine in one of those chamfered shafts, I'll probably opt to give it a test run on that Bigsby equipped Schecter Ultra III..

Schecter UltraIII.jpg

schecter Ultra III.jpg

That's turned into a smokin' sounding axe since putting in some vintage 60's Gibson mini-humbuckers. Plus it has a TUSQ nut & a new Bigsby that just feels better than that vintage Gibson embossed version. And I really do not want to bust that original nut out of that 71 Deluxe either!

3. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Hey, watch what you have on your TV! You realize this thread was started by a fourteen year old?

But seriously, thanks for all the help. Now I got to go find a couple of extra shafts so I can do it and return the bigsbys to stock at anytime. My dad won't let me drill the original shafts because if we screw up I can't use the guitars :D

4. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

:facepalm: 10-------9-------8-------7-------6-------5-------4-------3-------2-------1 Ok, I'm slightly better now, I can do this without the flamethrower...
    Speaking of which,
    [​IMG]

Relic, my friend, you've missed my point entirely. I didn't need another string tying tutorial.

I have Biddlin for that kind of stuff.

Besides, I tied strings the exact same way before I got lockers, I know how to do it.

Yeah, the string won't slip loose from the peg, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the coils of the winds interacting with each other.

winds.jpg
    The coil loosens and tightens back shifting ever so slightly each time while also rubbing on it's neighbor coil.

On the other hand....
    No-winds.jpg
    No coil winds to loosen and tighten, or to interact with in any way. String goes in, gets locked in with a thumbwheel and is tuned at right about 90 degrees* from where it went in. The string effectively ends at the post rather than gaining length and shifting when slackened.
    no-winds-2.jpg

*some strings, like my high E can be more but it's never a full wrap

Buying spares ain't cheap. Might as well just buy the Callaham and call it a day. Keep the stocker for if / when you return it to stock.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  5. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

I am not taking sides nor do I have an opinion on this subject yet.

Will someone please educate me on why it matters if the strings rub against one another on the windings.

How much movement is going on up there?

6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Depends on how hard you whammy. The coils loosen enough to shift your pitch, there's no guarantee they'll return to exactly the same spot throwing in the variables like number of coils and the potential friction of the winds against each other.

Using a locking tuner removes those variables.

Agreed, but it helps make my point. Lockers have no extra length.

7. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

Okay I get it. I have only one guitar with a tremolo and never use it.
    Even my Strats are decked.

8. Relic61

one-thousand 1, one-thousand 2 Oh wait a sec, I got a watch!

[​IMG]
    (mimicking Jeopardy theme.. Do de do da do de do..
    Do de do de dooo de-do-da-do de... )

Sorry bub, it was more for fun & entertainment purposes with a few valid points thrown in but if you noticed I did mention that pic & it's winds!!!

upload_2017-3-9_13-3-59.png

I will clarify that even further & say that it has too many winds for my liking. I prefer to start on that 90 degree angle as I mentioned because the technique actually benefits from some wind underneath to hold things in place.
    I had tried reel short tight 'no windings' before with problems with the higher strings coming loose so... I share this after many years of trial & error & finally hitting gold. Use this information as you will.

This really wasn't meant to be a tutorial (which by the way would involve proper stretching of the string & pulling wound pinch tight removing all play or ability to slip) but a statement of usable fact that works for someone that needs to use a vibrato & stay in tune for hours in front of an audience. In other words, performance & playability are job one when it comes to me & guitars.

My point simply was that you do not 'have to' buy locking tuners if you master this simple & effective winding technique! (which includes not over-winding) However, the locking tuners you have displayed is the kind I do prefer as they work beautifully. But, (yes, big Butt)
    [​IMG]
    not all locking tuners are created equal as my Firebirds' locking Steinberger tuners can testify to!

Well I reckon that's a big part of the reason you young whippersnapperz like hang'n round with us older boyz Eh? You get exposed to & learn all the naughty stuff Momz wantsta keep ya from learning about! Well fvkget what Momz wants. I think we should talk about my favorite subject when I was 14 !!....

breast all wet.jpg

Swimming with girls!

Breastasarious.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Problem is, I get on this forum with my school computer. I don't want to be called down to the office now do I?

10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I know, you did, but every time I start talking about locking tuners some "helpful soul" decides to evangelize tying strings and posts a tutorial. It gets rather old.
    Especially when I've posted the exact same method myself...
    Quotes from the past......
    I saw that.
    Well yeah. Like I keep saying, this ain't about the string slipping loose from the peg. What I've been yammering about is the interplay of the winds screwing things up when you rapidly de-tension and re-tension the strings.
    It never is.:smile:
    Which, again, is something that is repeated whenever I start about locking tuners. I ain't mad at ya, I'm just frustrated seeing the same stuff every time.
    Indeed they do. I've been quite happy with them.
    [​IMG]

Again, I ain't mad atcha. I'm just frustrated that my point seemed lost amidst tutorials and preconceptions.
    Swimming?!
    Hah!
    [​IMG]

11. Relic61

What I'm trying to make clear is I've perceived too much string wind problematic for the same reason. I agreed with you. I guess I just wasn't specific enough in my wording so that was adamantly clear. But it is true. Especially when it comes to those crazy over-wound peg heads! Yikes!

But yeah, I was trying to say more than a complete wind on a regular peg head is unnecessary & can lead to tuning issues!! And the rougher you are with a Vibrato the more likely you will have serious lack of tuning stability! No argument.

My only argument & point is that locking tuners are not 100% necessary 100% of the time. I now know you hate to hear that & I'm sorry but every thread is a new & unique conversation. Is that locking tuner set up & zero wing approach better than old fashioned tuners for reliable tuning stability??? Yup! No doubt about that!

Hey, try to understand, I can't remember what I said 2 days ago never mind keep track of or remember what you've posted across the many pages you've posted on & which I very well might not have even read. I mean think about that for a second eh?

But I can sort of keep track of things that bother people I GAF about (Or those I really dislike & enjoy annoying! Ha Ha Ha Haaa!) Now that you made the issue known I actually have a specific point of reference & general awareness about your issue with mentioning locking tuners & somebody else mentioning an alternative.

That said, it seems best that this should actually be expected because it is the natural progression of this sort of conversation. Opinions are like butt-holes & forums are for expressing 'your' opinions, hopefully just not like a but-hole.

If your putting your opinion out there as a solution & people have a solution that is different,or just an alternative suggestion, you should expect & anticipate them to chime in with there feelings & opinions on the subject. You're going to drive yourself crazy otherwise.

Just let it all go brother...
    It's all good man...
    Breathe in through the nose & out through the mouth...
    Feel the love brother...
    Now, Rid yourself of expectations from others & you can not be disappointed by them. Aha! See how that works?
    You got this baby.

12. Relic61

Logan! Are you trying to get old Uncle Barry in trouble !??

Where are you & what is going on when you are looking at guitar forums instead of school subjects??

Please tell me it's during your free time & not when you should be doing school related work!

Even tough our girls that get posted meet a PG13 clothing standard you can count on an adult in position of authority in school not to find them funny, appropriate or the least bit edifying in any way!

Most of these authoritarian figure adults forget that they were once children themselves. Try not to let this happen to you as you get older & "grow up". In fact, never grow up. Keep that child alive inside of you & you will always find happiness, adventure & enjoyment in life.

So, do you not have a computer or internet service at home or is it that you just can't stay off & away from our forum??

You are turning out to be a very interesting & peculiar (in a good way) 14 year old Logan!
    Now be careful & do all your school work before indulging in your ETSG Forum Fix!

Keep on Rockin Kiddo!

13. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Yup, I'm done with my schoolwork when I get on here. It doesn't take me too long to get anything done, and I get straight As without trying so where I put my energy into is guitar. I mostly get on the forum at school because at home I'm to busy fondling my SG and Strat :naughty:

And did you see the Firebird I ordered? You certainly didn't help getting rid of G.A.S. with your 2015. Another thing that doesn't help is when you somehow found a way to get a job at your local music store at 14 ¯\_ツ_/¯

14. Relic61

So I gotta guess that because you are fondling you SG & Strat that you aint fondling the ladies yet??:naughty:
    Nothing wrong with that man. They can really take up your time, energy & attention & frankly, you're just better off playing those guitars, growing your playing skills & enjoying the one true gift that keeps on giving & giving!

Your guitar will never stand you up, break you heart or let you down. Just take care of them, love them, & enjoy & play them & you'll have something truly special for life!
    Believe dat!:h5:

15. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I didn't say anything about the ladies... My girl is the bass player for my band, and she's got my first electric to try and learn guitar and to improve her bass playing, and luckily, she doesn't have G.A.S.

Yet...

16. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'd pretty much figured as much, but internet.... You can't take ish for granted.
    Yup. I was pointing out that even that isn't needed on a locker, but we're on the same page.
    I've never claimed they were necessary. Super convenient for string changes and helpful for trems? All day!
    I'm so used to arguing the case, it's damn near reflexive.
    Eh, cited for an example of me posting that same method. No more.
    It's not that I have an issue with alternatives being presented, I dont. My issue is when I'm told that something I recommend is somehow inferior, devaluing to the instrument, or otherwise an invalid choice. It's never "Or, you could try....." It's "That's unnecessary! Blah blah works just fine! The old stuff has worked for XXX years, yadda yadda."

I'm not singling you out for any of this. I'm kinda just venting at this point.
    I do expect it, but see above.
    At least the mime is gone.......

We're cool. We never weren't, which is why I had the 10 count and the funny cat. Defusing the situation.
    I could have come out like this....
    [​IMG]

Remember what he says kids!
    [​IMG]
    :rofl::cheers::rofl:

[​IMG] :thumb:

17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Dang, TL;DR

Unca Barry, we're cool. 'Nuff said.