Anybody use the middle position?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by plankton, Jul 22, 2017.

1. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Just wondering how many people use the middle position, both pickups together, on a humbucker equipped SG.

On my P90 LP Special the middle position is my favourite sound, but with the humbuckers on my Epi SG the sound of the combined pickups isn't great, and it even seems like the volume drops a bit. I really like the bridge and neck by themselves, and I've played around with mixing different volume levels and tones in the middle position.

Is this a common thing? Is there anyway around it? I don't want to mess around with the individual pickups much as I like how they sound by themselves. I suppose I don't really need the middle position to work well, but it would be nice if it did.

2. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

I play in the middle position a lot. Usually with the neck rolled back just a bit under the bridge level. So say the bridge PU at 8 and the neck PU at 6.

And yes, its normal for the volume to be a bit lower with both pickups in at the same level.

BTW, I really love having two volume and two tone controls as opposed to most PRS guitars with only a single tone and volume control

Westernrider and plankton like this.
  3. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

I pretty much use the neck pickup exclusively. The only time I ever go to the bridge pickup is when I play Chuck Berry stuff. Never both though

plankton likes this.
  4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Bridge most of time, but never for cleans.
    Middle does not get used.
    Neck for cleans only and some solos with gain when at upper frets.

plankton likes this.
  5. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

On my '14 I often use the middle position, but with one of the humbuckers coil split on.

I can't fathom why Gibson limit the SG Standard HP by not have splitting or tapping available, whilst giving the Les Paul HP so many switchable options.

plankton likes this.
  6. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Pretty much exactly what I do on my SG. It's a pretty great sound when I need it, but usually I just play with one pickup on.

plankton likes this.
  7. plankton

My Epi G400 Pro actually came with coil splitting, but I removed the option when I rewired it. For one thing the push pull pots were crap and the knobs came right out when pulled up. I also didn't care for the sounds when split.

Thanks for the replies, it seems like the middle position isn't all that useful to others as well.

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I do so on every guitar.

With humbucker, I find it gets me in the quacky Strat tone range, less so than with P90's though. You could say close to an acoustic. Coupled with a slight chorus, it's delicious.

plankton likes this.
  9. plankton

I was messing around with this today, playing clean which I don't do often, and the middle position does sound a bit acoustic. Did a bit of "Wish You Were Here" and "Redemption Song" and it sounded nice. I don't have a chorus, but a bit of subtle tremolo was nice as was some phaser. Think I have found a use for that middle position, thanks!

10. DrBGood

You're welcome.

Like I posted in an earlier post on the subject, here's a video of middle position tone, but on P90's this time.

syscokid and DCCable like this.
  11. sazista

sazista Active Member

Absolutely love middle position. I use it for tunes with less distortion. On my Mustang III with the vox model and chorus, it sounds great, especially for reggae.

plankton likes this.
  12. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Use middle all the time on my G400. When I find the neck a bit too dark or bridge too bright. Switch to middle. Usually I run volume a touch higher to a lot higher on the bridge than on the neck.

plankton and DCCable like this.
  13. DrBGood

I'm happy to hear that it is used. Middle position is usually dissed, mostly because pups aren't adjusted for it to have that distinct tone. Most will say that it is no different than neck, just weaker. Big mistake if you ask me. You just use 2/3 of your guitar.

14. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I use the middle position a lot. The blend between neck and bridge pickups varies depending on what I want at the time.

plankton and DCCable like this.
  15. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I use the middle position a lot. The neck pickup magnet is flipped in three of my SGs to get the out-of-phase sound à la Peter Green. I love it. With only small adjustmens of the volume controls on the pickups you have a wonderful variety of soonds at your disposal.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    plankton likes this.
  16. DrBGood

AH ! That is a great idea. Any guitars that comes stock with that ?

BTW your á needs an accent leaning left, like this à. :smile:

Gahr likes this.
  17. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Fixed!:D

I don't know of any guitars that come this way stock, but there are several sets of pickups that do. I have tried the Bare Knuckle PG Blues set and the Throbak PG-102s (which I use in ny Derek Trucks SG). I have flipped the magnets in a couple of '57 Classics myself, a very simple mod.

18. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Anybody use the middle position?

Ok... I thought that this was going to be about something else. I need to grow up...
    ..... NEVER! ha ha... :dude:

After 40 years of trying to play guitar, it's only been the last 5 of them that I've been noodling on the middle position. Especially with clean to very mild breakup tones. For obvious reasons, the mid position is easier to use on a guitar with a single volume control. With two vol controls, it's much more of challenge for me.

My LP is set up like this. As much as I like the out of phase sound, I do miss the regular in phase sound on my LP. ONE of my SG's has a push/pull pot were I can out-of-phase the bridge pup. I can't do this to the LP, because the 57 Classics pups that are in it, only have 2 conducter wiring. I would need a 4 conducter wiring harness to use on a switch. Or... install a 57 Classic+ with 4 conductor wiring... :hmm:

drown and plankton like this.
  19. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Use the middle all the time, especially for "classic rock" hollow tones. Here's Joe B talking a bit about it, I use mine the same way, starting at 1:39

plankton and syscokid like this.
  20. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Yeah, all the time. It's my favorite clean setting, actually. For dirty sounds it gets lost in the mix a bit, but is nice dirty if you're playing something and the rest of the band drops out a bit.

Basically my pickup choices tend to be:
    Clean lead: middle or neck
    Dirty lead: neck or bridge
    Clean riffs: middle or bridge
    Dirty riffs: neck or bridge
    Clean rhythm: middle or neck
    Dirty rhythm: bridge

For very heavy overdrive I really ONLY use the bridge pickup.

plankton and AngelDeVille like this.