Anyone buy through DHgate before?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by plankton, Jan 25, 2020.

1. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I'm in the market for an SG Junior style guitar to keep in open E for a few songs and maybe messing around with some slide. So I don't really want to pay too much. The only options I've found locally are a Tokai which is $1k or Gibsons which are more.

I found this on DHgate, https://www.dhgate.com/product/cust...38.html#pcsifindsim-11-5|null:111:r0802821040

Has anyone ever dealt with them? More importantly has anyone ever bought something through them, had an issue and had it properly resolved?

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

A client of mine bought a Les Paul Custom counterfeit from them. It arrived in about 5 weeks to San Francisco. It was as advertised, everything worked, although it worked better after about $100 in parts and 2 hours of my shop time. Tuners were not great, output jack, pots and wires were crap. Frets weren't bad, neck adjusted OK. So at the end of the day the $180 Les Paul cost him about $400, a bit more than I paid for an Epi off of Ebay.

3. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

The SG Junior on the pictures is not a fake but I don' t think you will receive this one... LOL

Hummm lovely ....

Temp 4028.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  4. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

Check out Thomann. It's a company in Germany. They sell Harley Benton guitars (house brand).
    20190318_131551.jpg
    They're not counterfeit. It was 168.00 with shipping to the US. (Paper rings on push pull pots, plastic on pickups)

https://m.thomannmusic.com/search.html?q=harley single cut guitars

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  5. plankton

I know Thomann, thanks, but they don't offer quite what I'm looking for in the Harley Benton line. I have been tempted by their LP DC Junior, but I really prefer the SG body shape.

6. Biddlin

While I have no direct customer service experience with DHgate or any of the other Chinese exporters, it has been my experience over the last 67 years that "warranties" are only as enforceable as your ability to physically reach out and touch the seller.

7. Biddlin

No, but that front bout and cutaway along with the feline urine photoflame would keep me away.

8. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

Broken crap guitars from Dhgate would keep me away.

9. plankton

I've had some feedback from other sources that DHgate will possibly not offer me any protection from dodgy merchandise, so I won't be getting anything from there. Thanks for the replies!