Anyone hands on with the 2019 line. Has the QC improved?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Boy_Narf, May 1, 2019.

1. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf New Member

Hello Everyone,

I currently own a 2000's reissue LPJ. Had to order twice as the first had a pile of flaws. This one is far from perfect, but man does it play and sound good. I also own an early 2000's LPStudio which was used. Amazing sounding axe, and pretty good in the finishing department. Few issues along top of the fingerboard but it plays so well and was such a good deal I've never really noticed them.

A few Gibson 2019 videos turned up in my YT feed yesterday. I decided to check out the site and oh my word they are making the SGJR again (without the horrible logo and scroll). I picked up the 2018 SGJR and returned it a few days later due to some pretty bad finish flaws but haven't been able to get the guitar out of my head. They have made some updates it but they have also bumped the price by a fair bit. I'm a single pickup guy through and through and I don't mind paying a bit more for a unique instrument.

I'm wondering if anyone has done any hands on with the 2019 line? Has the QC improved at all? I saw a few videos from their new CEO and it seems he really wants to get the company back on track, but it could all be talk.

Of course there will be none of these brought in locally (we don't typically get unique guitars in our area), and I'm a bit hesitant to order one sight unseen. I vowed never to buy another Gibson, but man the SGJR has been calling out to me, and they sound soo dang good :)

Thanks,

2. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

Nope, ITS THE SAME....great!!!!!!!!

richard morgan likes this.
  3. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

All the gibsons i have bought in last couple of years have been fine.

Too many rumors in my opinion.

Buy it from a big box that has a reasonable return policy if necessary you might only get stuck with small shipping charge ( return ).

Good luck!

4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic New Member

I own five Gibsons made 2016 and newer. All are fine. The internet is dark and full of rumors.

And dimwits that simply repeat what they have read.

rich85, Dale, richard morgan and 3 others like this.
  5. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

Yea, and dimwits simply repeat what they have read.

jk

My mom used to say I was the dimest wit.

grinch likes this.
  6. Semolinapilchard

Semolinapilchard New Member

Got myself a 2019 SG Standard ‘61 last month. Just needed some setup work out of the box, but finish is perfect, guitar plays great and sounds fantastic. No complaints at all.

7. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

And I bought five new Gibsons made between 2014 and 2016. I could only describe one as flawless (and I mean really flawless, and the best SG I've ever played). Three were Ok, but certainly could've been better in some respects, but one should NEVER have passed QC - the glue spillage down the side of the fretboad should've been spotted and rectified in the factory - and that was not the only flaw. This was the most expensive SG in the USA line up that year, so we don't even have the excuse of it being a 'cheap' model. Frankly, I wouldn't expect this on a Chibson:

[​IMG]

BUT, neither of our experiences can be taken as typical. You got five out of five great Gibsons? Cool. But that's got to be normal, if one in five were typically sub standard, Gibson would've gone out of business in months not years! Both of our experiences are meaningless in judging overall QC from Gibson.

If anyone wants to know the truth about Gibsons QC, they'll need to have a quiet chat with a dealer. They're the people who get to see enough to judge any QC issues, and can also compare returns to other brands. As I mentioned elsewhere, last year one dealer returned 9 out of 50 Custom Shop Les Paul R8s due to flaws. Only a dimwit would think that's indicative of good QC. (But bear in mind, most dealers are too busy trying to sell you a guitar to chat about poor QC).

To the OP, if you're buying online, check the returns policy carefully, then buy with confidence! The dealer who sold me the SG above was perfectly happy to arrange a free return from the UK to Germany, (but I chose to get it rectified under warranty).

PermissionToLand likes this.
  8. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf New Member

I wouldn't necessarily call us dimwits. As stated I've myself encountered issues with both of the Gibson guitars I ordered new.

I ended up returning the 18SGJR outright (nitro overspray on FB, lumpy nitro all the way up top and bottom of fb, fb seemed to be too narrow for the neck from the 10th fret up noticeable hump) due to the horrible customer service. When I got my LPJ I had them bring in a second (uneven body finish, paint chip out around the bridge pins, finish burning/white scuffs on the head stock, visible wood filler used on the FB). My LPS seems all good aside from the uneven/lumpy finish on the top of the fingerboard. My Stratosonic Jr. also has this and I've seen quite a few in person with the same issue. I'm guessing the wood sucks in the finish and leaves it uneven. They probably don't have time to grain fill/build finish layers to ensure it's completely smooth. The joys of dry + thirsty rosewood :)

I honestly think Gibson has some of the best sounding guitars available these days (I've not yet met an equal to my LPS). I just expect when paying upwards of 2K to get an instrument free from defects. I know there are some amazing models out there as they have been reported by the internet rumour mill, I've just never found one myself.

I will be ordering from L&M in Canada. I've contacted the store manager to make sure we are on the same page and to fully understand the exchange policy before I make a decision.

AngelDeVille likes this.
  9. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

From my experience working at a dealer, there has already been a noticeable improvement in quality control. We haven't had to send a single 2019 back yet that we've gotten in. My 335 is gorgeous, as well as the other 3 335s we got in as well as a 339. We also got a custom shop Les Paul standard, as well as one of the junior tributes, and not a flaw to be seen on any one of them. I was there when we got them shipped to us, and new Gibson day is the best day at any Gibson dealer. So much nitro fumes in the back that it smells like vanilla for the rest of the day (along with accidentally getting a little buzzed off the fumes).

Update: also got a J45 in that is absolutely mind-blowing. Sadly, it was a special order, but at least it's going to a good home :thumb:

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  10. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf New Member

Awesome thanks for the update. I just heard back from the store manager and he said we can easily do a swap if it's not 100% up to my specifications. Next time I'm in I'll take a look at the 2019 lineup. I saw one of the DC JR's there last time, but didn't have time to investigate.

11. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Beautiful Chibson !

LOL

12. MeTheGuy

MeTheGuy Member

My two 2013 SG Tributes are fantastic! And so ismy 2015 LP CM . solid, sturdy, finished well and,play and sound great!

2013 Sg 60's has BB 1 and BB2
    2013 Sg Future has 57's
    2015 LP CM has single 61

13. papagayo

Gibson USA [​IMG]

Image temp 5564.jpg

14. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

This guy does guitar reviews (guitars he then sells) which are pretty extensive. He bought one of the new SGs with the meastro vibrato (bought, not given by Gibson in exchange for a review) and took it apart (including removing the pickups and the maestro), shows the neck tenon, zooms in close to examine workmanship on the fret board, neck binding and inside the pickup and electronics cavities (no circuit board!). He also puts a caliper on the neck to show the measurements which are apparantly closer to a 60s Les Paul profile than a 60s SG one, etc. Also lots of sound samples in various pickup positions. He also does some experiments with checking tuning, doing some minimal maestro vibrator work, then checking tuning again. Bottom line: maestro quickly pulls you out of tune. Here's the review:

He's really a Les Paul nut so whenever he does an SG review the result is always "meh" and --- SPOILER -- he wasn't that into it because he didn't think it was special. But then again, I don't think I've ever seen an SG review where he said "wow, I love this." So as an SG fans we can take that with a grain of salt and decide for ourselves. But at least he gives us lots of facts to think about.

My quick takeaway: there were no real workmanship issues at all except possibly the nut needs to be filed. Stuff he griped about in Gibson guitar quality control over the last couple of years like the cavities being full of splinters or the fretboard being kinda chipped up were not present in this. All in all workmanship looked like it was spot on. And it looked spectacular. The vibrato is not my bag and I'd like to feel the neck profile since he says it's different than typical SG but based on the other factors it looks like it would be something I'd buy if I were in the market now.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  15. SG standard

When it comes to QC the bottom line is that Gibson's CEO has acknowledged that there's been a problem, the QC hasn't been good enough, and he's doing something about it. I guess it might take time to work through the system, and change the culture in the factory. I was looking at a UK dealer that have just been photographing all their newly arrived Gibsons, and noticed the tenon cover on this SG is a very poor fit - looks like someone just tried to screw it down flat anyway:
    [​IMG]

A very minor thing, but not what you'd be expecting to see on a £1,700 guitar from another manufacturer. Here, if it's the only issue, it's the sign of a big improvement... :D

16. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Love Trogly's, that's was a great video. And the '19 models looks very tempting.

Regarding the tuning, if it was binding at the nut, the strings would go sharp, not flat like in the video, right? Maybe it's to do with the winding and stretching of new strings, or lack of lube in the nut and saddles.

17. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Well-Known Member

Binding on the nut can make it go flat as well, if you bend the string; the binding will prevent the slack from returning, lowering the sounding pitch.

When all you can do is name-call, you've shown your true colors.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    bwotw likes this.
  18. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Makes sense, actually. For whatever reason, my experience has been that regular playing and generous bends will make the strings slightly flat, and that trem use (Vibrola or strat) tend to make them sharp. I always assumed the latter was because the strings pinched at the nut.

19. SG standard

Having watched the video, I was shocked how much the bridge was moving when he used the vibrato arm. I've not seen anything like this on any of my guitars - is this normal for a Maestro/ABR combination? It doesn't look healthy to me!

Check out the video at 18:30 - he says that string pinging is coming from the strings at the bridge, but note he also said the strings were really tight in the nut and had to be pulled off it. Neither of these things sound promising in terms of tuning stability with a vibrato unit - or for that matter with any string bending.

20. papagayo

2019 SGs are perfect imho

Image temp 5565.jpg

Gahr, Dallaz and PermissionToLand like this.