Anyone hands on with the 2019 line. Has the QC improved?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Boy_Narf, May 1, 2019.

1. backporchmusic

backporchmusic New Member

^^^ That's a amazing photo. But it seems you're missing a batwing version...

papagayo likes this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

They need to reissue the SG Classic. That was the best version of the SG Special ever produced IMO.

backporchmusic likes this.
  3. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

That's Gibson's SG "Original Collection" photo shoot in "cherry" pic. So no batwing for that one.

backporchmusic likes this.
  4. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar New Member

Heres my first Gibson SG Standards, purchased over the summer this year. The quality is top notch for me. Coming off from owning several Epiphone G400 models (which I don't own anymore) I flirted with playing real Gibsons at several guitar shops just to see the actual difference in quality and make of the SG itself and cursed myself into buying the real Gibsons shortly after playing them. Mine were purchased from Chicago Music Exchange and an indie guitar seller off Reverb and tho I have no experience with prior models of 2018 I'm obsessed with the work of Gibson, love the soft and hard shell cases too and goody bags. I've been reading a lot about QC problems with Gibsons all over the net so I was extremely nervous dropping my hard earned cash for these shiny pieces of wood and wires, but maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones, or the rumors could be viral non sense who knows.

Aside from cosmetics the biggest push for me switching to Gib and abandoning Epi altogether was mostly the playability aspects straight out of the box. I own three Gib SG's now and they were perfect the moment i picked them up to play versus the Epiphone g400's which I feel were sort of a rite to passage given I focused intensely on learning guitar and played hard on them regardless how uncomfortable they were. Playing the Gibs, my eyes roll to the back of my head and my fingers feel like they're sifting through butter.

left: Gibson SG Standard '61 reissue (smells like lucky charms cereal)
    right: Gibson SG Standard 2019 (smells like cherry vanilla)

Attached Files:

5. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

2019 SG Standard has a '61 body design wiith a "standard" body-neck joint,

[​IMG]

6. Astral Traveler

Astral Traveler Active Member

I have a 2019 SG Special (built October 2018) that I really like, it sounds great, the fretboard is gorgeous and the frets are perfect. It does however have a few issues that shouldn't have passed QC IMO.

• They have put clear coat finish over the sides of the nut nad it's peeling off. This is not a problem in itself but I think there's a risk that it will keep peeling from the rest of the neck. I've just broken off the loose patches and left the rest alone.
    • There are a few very minor finish blemishes around the neck joint but I'm no perfectionist so they don't bother me.
    • The tuner for the D-string is wonky, it feels like the gears are giving up and it's sometimes difficult to tune.
    • When I got it home, I noticed that the knobs were all crooked. At first I thought the shafts were bent but it turned out the knobs were just put on in a sloppy fashion.
    • There are a few dead notes but I don't really think that's a QC issue, more the nature of some SG's...
    • The frets wear like crazy. The cryogenically treated frets are a marketing hype if you ask me, they wear just as much as "regular" frets.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  7. Jewelmaestro

Jewelmaestro New Member

A56CA32D-E14C-4D51-A7A7-E31D1FC59347.png 3D9E0E26-38FD-4421-B839-BB24453C82B1.png 278FF4DD-445A-4999-84D6-28FE4EB50E65.png I finally have my sweet SG Modern in my hands and yup, can’t put her down! ;)

jbat, Super fuzz, Jbvan and 4 others like this.
  8. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

9. ventura

ventura Member

10. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

Dang ventura,

That's a rockin' machine !

Can I borrow it ? :thumb:

ventura likes this.
  11. ventura

ventura Member

:DGive it a listen :dude:

(in the second verse you can hear the single p-90 hum)

A little ditty bout my cat friends

HackeIommi and Piper68Special like this.
  12. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar New Member

ventura likes this.
  13. jbat

jbat New Member

I’m pretty sure Gibson execs would vehemently disagree with that assertion. On its face, it’s ridiculous.

ventura likes this.
  14. jbat

jbat New Member

That’s just gorgeous. :dude:

ventura likes this.
  15. jbat

jbat New Member

Beautiful. I’ve really been eyeballing one of the Specials in that finish.

ventura likes this.