Anyone have experience with the Marshall Code 50?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Troy Golden, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Troy Golden

Troy Golden New Member

I am looking to buy a modeling amp. I like the looks and the features of the Code series. Anybody using these?

2. Colnago

Colnago Member

I had one and I didn't get along with it. I'm not that tech savvy and this amp needs you to be.
    There are lots of sounds that it makes, that's for sure.

3. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I've never played one, but I have a DSL and occasionally peruse the Marshall forums, and users have largely panned them.

If you're looking for a powerful, versatile modeling combo, I suggest finding a used Fender Mustang III v.2. It has Marshall 1959 and JCM800 models that are great, and the v.2's have a high-gain Orange model that really roars. You can probably find one online for 300 or less. You'll know it's a v.2 model if it has a traditional tolex pattern (the v.1's have a chintzy faux-carbon-fiber pattern and are known for some humming problems).

They replaced these with the Mustang GT line, which are largely considered to be worse (I've never tried one, and haven't seen one - must be selling slowly). I suspect they were intentionally made worse because the V.2 line was too good.

4. Troy Golden

Troy Golden New Member

Thanks I will check that one out

5. ungarn

ungarn Member

They have been super cheap at Sweetwater.com. Code sounds just ok in my opinion. Definitely a step behind the leaders in modeling tone like Line 6 Helix, Kemper, Fractal AxeFX, and probably Headrush and Boss GT1000.

Troy Golden likes this.