anyone know of a good place to hear live music in northern illinois?

Discussion in 'Upcoming Events' started by oldrockfan, May 16, 2010.

1. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I am about to make a quick visit to northern illinois and thought I would see if there are any good places that have live music during the work week? Cover charge is not an issue as I never mind paying to listen to live music and am flexible on style of music too. just no rapp or death metal. Anything else is pretty much cool with me from blues to jazz to folk to country and of course rock.

2. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Swing by my place as it's only about 5 minutes from Wisconsin. Can't promise live music since I'm really not all that good... but I could pop in a live CD or two. ;D

Seriously though. What part of Illinois? Northwest.... Northeast? What city? If you're gonna be in the Chicago area I'm betting guitarweasel might have some venues to suggest.

3. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Let me know where you're head ORF, I know lot's of places. O0

4. oldrockfan

I will be doing alot of driving during the days since I am cramming alot of plant visits into two days but will be staying in Gurnee Ill. I will probably be too beat to make a long drive after work but thought I would try to catch a local act if anyone knows of a club in the gurnee area that would have live music during the work week.

5. guitarweasel

6. oldrockfan

thanks weas, that brat stop place looks like fun. I think I will give that one a try.

7. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=20654.msg248769#msg248769 date=1274055271]
    ....but will be staying in Gurnee Ill.
    [/quote]

You'll only be about 20 minutes from me. That offer of a live CD stands. ;)

8. oldrockfan

thanks for the offer Iblive but I ended up having to go to eat with my customer. I hate doing it after a long day but when the check signer offers, just got to do it. I did get back to the hotel early enough to catch the suns/lakers game though although I am pulling for the suns so not a great game.

I am stuck in the airport at the moment and hoping I can get out of Illinois at a decent hour since I am booked to train all day tomorrow at a customer back in Texas. Oh and the guys at the plant said the brat place weas mentioned is alot of fun. They said they get alot of really big name bands in there. I am going to remember that one for next trip.

9. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

I've heard of the Brat Stop. It's only about 20 miles from where I live. The local rock station I listen to is always doing something special there...... AND I'VE NEVER BEEN THERE. How sad is that?

At least the weather was relatively nice (for us) while you were here, although it's supposed to be in the 80s by Sunday.

Basketball..... someones still playing basketball? Of course, so is hockey. What's wrong when two winter sports don't have their championship games till nearly June?

Did you fly in an out of O'Hare? If you have to come back to Gurnee sometime again in the future may I suggest using Milwaukee instead of O'Hare or Midway. It's way easier AND faster. Less crowded.

10. oldrockfan

way ahead of you on that airport, I have been stuck not once but TWICE in ohaire airport! I never fly out of that one anymore. I used milwaukie adn drove down.

Re weather, I love the weather up there in the summer. Nights are cool and days are warm but not hot like texas.

re that brat place, I am definately going to try to get to that place next time. The guys at the plant were saying it has a really nice stage with a pro level sound setup so should be a fun place to listen to music.

11. John J

John J Active Member

The Brat Stop has been a hot spot since the mid 70s. Back in the days when the drinking age in Il. was 21 and only 18 in Wi. Plenty of real good bands have played there.

12. guitarweasel

[quote author=John J link=topic=20654.msg249104#msg249104 date=1275144513]
    The Brat Stop has been a hot spot since the mid 70s. Back in the days when the drinking age in Il. was 21 and only 18 in Wi. Plenty of real good bands have played there.
    [/quote]

John.......Do you remember Hooker Lake Inn?

13. John J

John J Active Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=20654.msg249106#msg249106 date=1275147217]
    John.......Do you remember Hooker Lake Inn?
    [/quote] Heard about it, but was never there Weas. I used to hang mostly kind of close to home either in Waukesha at Revs Flying Circus, Sunset Bowl or in Milwaukee at Teddys, The Stone Toad or Beneath the Street. I saw an awful lot of really good groups at those places during the 70s.

14. igotopieces

igotopieces New Member

Hooker Lake Inn, The Riviera, and The Brat Stop

I also am very interested in finding information on Hooker Lake Inn. Sometime around the late 1970’s (I was only 18 years old), my friends and I heard live bands perform at Hooker Lake Inn. The building had the appearance of a timber-framed barn (on the west side of street with a gravel parking lot). A second floor balcony held the band stage, tables and a small dance floor. The stage was positioned above the bar. Looking over the balcony, I could see below the main dance floor and two pool tables. Hooker Lake Inn was located about a mile south of Hwy 50. I can’t remember the name of the cross road or recognize this road today. However, I do know that it was someplace between Paddock Lake and Lake Geneva. I am going to research Hooker Lake Inn using archived phone books and business records at the Racine Public Library. I will post an update on my findings.
    During this same time period, I visited other places along Hwy 50 that had live bands, including The Riviera in Lake Geneva, The Riviera East in Paddock Lake, and The Brat Stop in Kenosha. All of them are still in business today with the exception of The Riviera East.