Anyone play the 2018 standard...thoughts

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by cigblues3, Oct 12, 2017.

1. cigblues3

cigblues3 Member

The title says it all. Its just too far for me to drive to try one out. There seems to be very little info about the 2018.

2. sazista

sazista Active Member

Insert cricket sounds here......

3. cigblues3

cigblues3 Member

Good one. I just wonder what's up with the lack of info.

4. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

I hear it's exactly the same as the 17' except for different pickups and finishes. I don't think anyone on the forum owns one. I have a 17' and if the 18' is anything like it then your in for a treat.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    58pit likes this.
  5. rotorhead

rotorhead Active Member

To me there's just not enough to be exited about. I got my 17 in January so I haven't been in the market for 18s. There was nothing there that tweaked my interest.

6. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

Still stunningly AWESOME, yet I just can get over the no poker chip thing. The knobs just don't do it for me as well, AT ALL, I hate em. That's just me, and I'm sure is a fine beast. I think i may be getting old, LOL.

7. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I have not, but the specs are identical to the 2017 except for the pickups. I have a 2017 and it is easily the best S
    I think any dealer would happily throw in the plastics if you were buying one. I wasn't going to mess with mine when I first got it so I didn't make them do it, but I ended up changing the knobs and adding a poker chip later for less than $20.

As for the '18's, they do appear to be identical to the 2017's except for the pickups. If that's the case I concur with koaguilds - you are in for a treat. And while my 2017 has '57 Classics, I have owned an SG with the '61's in it and they were very, very good pickups for the SG. I'd call that one a lateral move tone-wise. I personally prefer the '57's but it's like a Coke vs. Pepsi thing. If you are thinking about getting one I think it's a safe bet - Gibson has been killing it the last three years (2016-2018) with quality and features.

8. cigblues3

cigblues3 Member

I have a 2017 and love it. I just wonder about the new SG. It does seem as someone said that no forum members have one.

9. Mbell75

Mbell75 New Member

I played one a few weeks ago. Its pretty much the same as the 2017 with different pickups. I prefer the '57 Classics and got a good deal on my 2017 Standard. The 61s are too harsh and dont sound very good IMO. All depends on what you play and your amp though.

10. Dickey001

Dickey001 Member

They're too ugly for me to even have the desire to try out. They look like Epiphones. Chintzy bevels,wrong body shape & horns, and the color is not quite right.

11. Sonny Wolf

Sonny Wolf New Member

They are nice guitars...pretty much like the 2017s except for the new 61 pickups.I'd prefer they have the slimmer horn shape like the 61 reissue had and the 2013/2014 era Standards had instead of the wider horns they have now.I played a few in shops and they are great guitars but I'd prefer they go back to the 61 reissue specs for 2019.

12. Clay

Clay New Member

??? are you saying the 2013/2014 had the same carve/bevel on the horns (or even just more carve/bevel) than the sg standards of today? like the sg 61 reissue carves?

regarding carves and bevels- sometimes it looks to me like the gold hardware 2017 sg standard has more carve- is that my imagination? can anyone confirm anything. that 61 reissue carve man... that's where its at. phew.
    REGARDING 2018-
    I like the 57 classics better- and I really dont think there's any discernable differences between them and the 2017 except the pups. the new fireburst looks pretty sweet- i think the finishes on the newer standards are looking better and better personally.

13. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

2013/14 Standards did have more of a carve around the horns, with tips that were a bit more pointed than 'cold chisel'. Not sure they're quite as deep as the typical '61 shape, but of course there's quite a lot of variation anyway.

Of more recent models, I noticed that the 'T' Standards had very shallow bevels back in '16, but the 'HP' Standard had deeper ones. And Gibson have kept this up through '17 & '18. I started a thread on it here - check out Gibson's photos in my first post. I find this odd, as the 'Traditional' has the less traditional shape! But it's been like this for three years, so it must be intentional.

I tried to make a comparison of the 3 Standards I had a while back, but it's difficult to see because of the different finishes.
    '14 White has deeper front bevels, tips between pointed & chisel, less back side bevel.
    '15 Cherry bass has chisels for tips, but also has bevels cut on the back, top and bottom
    '16 Black has the most pointy tips, with bevels almost as deep as the '14 (but it's an 'HP' model, the 'T' I looked at had very shallow bevels):
    [​IMG]

Wolftoes, grausch and lcw like this.
  14. Sonny Wolf

Sonny Wolf New Member

Here is my red 2014 standard along with a 2016 limited edition 61 reissue in black...the body carves are identical:

22091478_10210447574293865_336036754_n.jpg

grausch and koaguilds like this.
  15. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Maybe Gibson's 'current' interpretation of the Traditional in the T model is that of the 70's to mid 80's beveling? It can be said that any era has it's traditions and they chose those over the earliest traditions of the 60's.

Many thousands of SG player's grew up with/admired the more slab-like models of 71' or so to about 85' and they are possibly catering to that fond memory of 'their' traditional model.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017 at 9:23 PM
    SG standard and lcw like this.
  16. Markm

Markm Active Member

I had a 2018 Standard. I much preferred the 57's in my 2017; so I exchanged it for the 2018 HP. Which in my opinion IS AWESOME!

17. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

It's an interesting thought, but I suspect Gibson aren't thinking it through at that level - just 'traditional' in the sense of tuners, nibs, neck width - all the stuff they changed in 2015. Still, it is possible..

If they really wanted to reference the 70s & early 80s, they should move the neck inwards, and put the pickup against the fingerboard. I can think of someone who'd be very happy about that. :)

If only they'd take the SG as seriously as the LP - we'd have '61 RI, '66 batwing, late '70s layout, along with a traditional but contemporary model and a high performance model. Plus a custom or two, and a Diablo of course... (Just dreaming...)

lcw, Logan and koaguilds like this.