Anyone Use Kyser Lem-Oil for Their Fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Mike McLenison, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Mike McLenison

Mike McLenison Member

It's supposed to be safe, not synthetic, but it smells like lemon scented 3 in 1 oil, or some type of petroleum. Anything wrong with that?

2. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

if its not squeakin, why oil it with petrol?

3. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

in the navy they say.."if it moves,... oil it, if it don't,... paint it". :twisted:

course i haven't seen any openings in the naval roster for sg players so this may not apply... :roll: :wink: :D

4. crippe

crippe Member

I use Kyser lem-oil a couple of times a year and I have no complaints. It's supposed to protect the fretboard from drying and maybe it does. Seems to make the ebony fretboard on my faded darker. I don't know for sure if it's really necessary to use these kinds of products on fretboards, I guess I'm just a sucker for these kinds of things.

5. musicalhair

musicalhair New Member

I don't know if using lemon oil is "important or not, I use it on occasion on Rosewood and Ebony fingerboards. I think more important is humidity. My nylon string Flamenco guitar that I got in the Navy back in 1986 has big cracks in the ebony. I think it is because of lack of humidity. It didn't take very long for them to develop either, around five years. I don't think they've gotten much worse since that time. The guitar is still playable.

I remember the "If it don't move, paint it" part of that line, but not the oil part. I guess I'm getting old or it has more to do with what part of the ship I worked on.

6. TNT

TNT Active Member

In the Marine Corps it was "If it moves salute it, if it doesn't move paint it, and if it smells funny, eat it" :shock: :lol:

7. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member