Are all Gibson SG cases the same size?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Wigjuice, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Wigjuice

Wigjuice Member

Hey all you wonderful people of EverythingSG!

I have a fairly simple question, which I've not really been able to find a good answer to. Are all the Gibson SG brown hard cases the same size? Is the case that comes with a SG Jr. the same exact case that goes with a SG Standard?

If anyone has experience and/or good info on this I would greatly appreciate it!

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Perhaps what you meant to ask was, "Do all SG models fit the same size case?"

Since you asked about brown cases...

Which year brown case?

See link below for early SG cases...

http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/study-of-early-gibson-sg-cases-60-to-65.10998/

The brown cases from the 1990's look similar to the black cases pictured below.

[​IMG]

I had a 1970 SG Junior with a neck that was so thick the lid on the case never closed properly. I even tried stuffing it in the other Gibson SG cases pictured above that I have for my SG Specials, but the neck was too much for the foam inside the case.

Out of frustration, I took the SG Junior to the ballpark and hit a homerun. If you look to the right of the ruler, there is a divot from where the ball hit the neck.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Wigjuice likes this.
  3. brazilnut

brazilnut Well-Known Member

I think all Gibson SGs fit all Gibson SG cases. But there may be a stinker there somewhere.....I know my 2000 Standard fit my Norlin era 1983 case just snuggly good.

Wigjuice and cerebral gasket like this.
  4. Wigjuice

Wigjuice Member

Wow, thanks for the very detailed response @cerebral gasket! And that's a pretty awesome story (hitting the homerun) as well! That's a beast of neck!

I do apologize, I should have been more clear in my post. That's my bad.

I am mostly just referring to recent cases. And mostly just the brown ones. It started because I was looking at getting a hard case for a new SG Standard that came with a soft case (though it's a pretty nice one), and came across a nice (2019 I believe) SG Junior brown Gibson case online. I wasn't sure if that is just the same case as other SG's or if it's smaller in some way. I assume they are probably the same case for the different current SG models but I wasn't sure. I did a bunch of searching and found almost nothing so figured I'd ask here. I made the question a bit more generic, thinking it might help me continue my search for a case if I don't get this one.

That said, I enjoy learning about all of it, so I do appreciate the information.

And thank you @brazilnut for your info as well. I've suspected all of the more current SG's were about the same size, whether it be a Standard, Tribute, Junior, Special, etc. But, I always find it best to be sure, especially before buying anything online.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  5. volktar

volktar Member

I may be in the minority, but I actually prefer that new Gibson soft case. That thing is FANTASTIC. Super protective and way lighter than the hard shells.

Wigjuice likes this.
  6. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

I have run into instances where a Gibson SG with a shallow neck set angle doesn't sit right in a TKL Gibson SG case that has the padding and/or neck rests set up for an SG with a steeper neck set angle. My 18' Standard did this with the cases for my 11' and 12' Standards. The neck on the shallow neck set angle 18' was angled upward by the time it was over the neck rest by the headstock. So i strongly believe TKL alters the padding and neck rest heights based on the neck angles from time to time.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Wigjuice likes this.
  7. Wigjuice

Wigjuice Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm pretty sure it'll be fine, I was just worried because the listing for the case I'm looking at says it's for a 2019 SG Junior (that's what it originally came with). From what I've gathered here, and the tiny amount of info elsewhere, newer SG's of all types and SG cases are all the same size, give or take tiny variances. It's weird, the SG Junior body looks deceptively narrower sometimes in pictures. I'm pretty sure it's just the way the pickup, pickguard, knobs, etc. are so different in style and shape than a Standard.

Looking around to find info on all this is starting to make me want an SG Junior now...

cerebral gasket likes this.
  8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The SG case that you mentioned listed as being specific to an SG Junior did seem odd that it was labeled as such. Maybe it was paired with an SG Junior and the seller was not aware that most all SG fit in the same size case.

Single P-90 guitars are awesome IMO. I like the simplicity of a Junior.

9. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Member

This question was sort of relevant to me as well. I bought a '19 SG Standard that came with the really nice soft case. However I'm still thinking about getting a hardshell case, just haven't started looking yet. The soft case would be great if I were taking the guitar to a gig (wait, what, how did I get in a band? LOL) or going to a friend's house to jam. The hardshell would be for long term storage or heavens forbid, shipping.

10. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Depends what your asking? They make all kinds of different shape and size SG cases :D. But each case for the year made holds all SG models of that year (minus HPs as they have that odd upper bout strap mount, you could probably still force it into a regular case though).

I don't like to use the word "fits" as there are slight differences from case to case and SG to SG. The regular style form shaped cases, covered with tolex, hold them the best. The others will allow them to move inside a little.

Also, that new soft case is a "one size fits all case", SGs and LPs use the same case (cheap way out IMO).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  11. Wigjuice

Wigjuice Member

Hey everyone! Update! I went ahead and ordered the SG Junior case (it did originally come with a 2019 SG Junior) and my SG Standard fit perfectly! I figured it would from everything I'd gathered here, and other places. But I thought it'd be good to confirm that it is indeed the exact same size case. So, if you're in a position like I was, all the newer SG's and SG cases should be the same size.

jtees4, arcticsg and cerebral gasket like this.
  12. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your case! Now you already for your next one, or two. ;)

[​IMG]

Dale likes this.
  13. agejaded

agejaded New Member

I fitted robot tuners to my SG Standard and the tuners were touching the bottom of the case when the guitar was inside. I’ve removed them now, but it did worry me that any knocks or bumps would be transferred straight to the headstock.
    I suspect that the case that comes with the robot guitars is slightly different to accommodate this.

14. agejaded

agejaded New Member

I’ve also got an old ‘90s case that has extra padding under the body. A LP standard does not fit in there.

15. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Member

I like the protection of a hard case. When I was playing out, we often drove 100+ mi to a gig, the hard cases provide a little more protection to the guitar. If the load shifts and a mic stand falls into the guitar, the case should keep it from being damaged. (Of course back when I was playing out, all the cases were "hard"!)
    I will tell a story of a friend who loaded into the camper shell, but left his Tele on top while we were shuffling the load. He and I followed the truck in my car when a few miles down the road, the case came off and skidded down the road! We retrieved it, (he didn't really want to look!) When we stopped at the motel for the night, he brought the thing in, the G&G case had protected it, but it was still beat up. He changed strings, and did a set up, and played it Saturday night!

arcticsg likes this.