Are they making SG Customs anymore?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by bluesfordan, Sep 24, 2016.

1. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Member

I played a Les Paul Custom today and it was quite the different animal than the Les Paul reissues that I've been playing the last 14 years. I imagine the SG Custom must also be a different animal than the SG Standard. I looked at Gibson's website and I couldn't find any SG Customs. Are they not making any right now? Also, do all SG Customs have three pickups? I could swear that I've seen Custom block inlays and bound headstock and two pickups before but they might be rare beasts if they exist.

2. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

I Don't think they are making them currently. I have seen LP Customs with either 2 or 3 pickups. Not sure of 2 pickup SG Customs. I know I have seen the 3 pup ones. Also, Kirk Douglas and SG3 2015, SG Supra, Sg Deluxe are 3 pickup models.

3. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

4. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

I had a very cool looking 2013 SG Deluxe with 3 PUP's, but it also had a Bigsby and I couldn't bond with it...so it moved on...

5. Delboy

Delboy Well-Known Member

I don't think they've made any for a good few years, apart from things like the Supra. I think I'm right in saying that the Captain Kirk wasn't actually made by the custom shop.
    There are 2 pickup models but they're a bit rarer than the 3 pickup versions and from the ones I've seen for sale, usually more expensive.
    You could always just convert it to a 2 pickup guitar if you can't get on with the 3 pickups.

6. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Don't confuse the
    Don't confuse the SG Custom model with products from the custom shop. Yes, the custom shop has made SG Custom models, but the SG Custom was made long before the custom shop existed, and Gibson USA could release an SG Custom model if they wished.

There hasn't been a 'proper' SG Custom model for a while, instead Gibson have tended towards short-run high end SG models; Supra, Supreme, Diablo Premium Plus, Deluxe, etc. As others have mentioned, the closest thing in appearance and spec was the Kirk Douglas SG, with three pickups & split diamond in the headstock. The Deluxe also had 3 pickups & a split diamond headstock, but it's bright finishes & flame maple cap were unlike anything on a Custom. There was also an SG 3, with the original sideways vibrato, but that lacked details like the split diamond headstock.

I suspect the next SG custom we'll see will be some sort of custom shop reissue, but you never know with Gibson. The market may be ripe for a Custom to reappear in the Gibson USA lineup. Wouldn't mind one myself. :)

7. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

The beautiful SG Custom is made at Gibson CS since 1988. SG Kirk Douglas is not a CS but it has 3 pickups, SG Elliot Easton is a CS and has 2 pickups ...

368.JPG

SG E. Easton CS

[​IMG]

8. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I think we need a policy about not showing counterfeit guitars.

Paul G. likes this.
  9. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Bidd, what counterfeit guitar was posted? I just glanced here so bear with me.

Also, that Thomann ad says "Référencé depuis juin 2010" What does that mean? I am thinking 2010 model?