Artist you most associate with the SG?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by JereSG, Mar 12, 2016.

1. JereSG

JereSG Member

Hello,

I just picked up my first SG, the Gibson SG Faded 2016 T in worn brown. I love it! I think many/most guitar players associate the SG with Angus Young, but I don't. I will forever immediately think of Tony Iommi when I think of the SG. Which artist do you most associate with the SG?

fahad187 and Bullfrog like this.
  2. Jimmy Jacks

Jimmy Jacks Well-Known Member

Toni for sure but then Mr Paulson of Volbeat....

3. Adam

Adam Member

Tony Iommi and Robby Krieger!

4. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

Yep. Iommi and Krieger.

5. JereSG

JereSG Member

Cool to see Iommi getting the nod so far. Another artist that was a big SG player back in the day was Glenn Tipton. Here's a comment from a MusicRadar interview:

Glenn Tipton says:

“I used an SG on this cut - actually, on a lot of the album - and I remember I had a lot of Marshall stacks in the downstairs living room and I was getting a good sound there.

“We were emerging at the time as, well, ‘metal gods,’ if you will. Everything was falling into place with our sound, our image, how we were being seen. I would say this song reflects our confidence.”

He is referring to the song "Metal Gods" which is still part of the current live set. Sweet! And that album he's talking about is British Steel!

Actually, until '84 he basically played Fender Strats and Gibson SGs. If you have a chance pick up the album "Hell Bent for Leather" (1978). This album, IMO, created the NWOBH sound that became huge in the early 80s. The songs are guitar-prominent marshally-sounding blues-based heavy metal classics that, IMCO, would basically define the standard sound for heavy metal over the next decade. It is an AMAZING album. The recording was great, the songs were simply yet powerfully constructed, and a prelude to where heavy metal was going. In fact, I think Metallica's Kill 'Em All sounds very Killing Machine-esque ...

Here's a song from the album: Killing Machine

Not one of the fastest on the album but an example of early heavy metal. Early metal was basically electrified blues with a fast tempo. But the guitar sound is spot on for the next few years - sounds like Metallica/Slayer/Ratt, etc.

Anyway, on a spring sunny day drop the windows to your car and blast "Hell Bent for Leather" ... great road trip music

Jimmy Jacks likes this.
  6. Jimmy Jacks

All bow to the Preist.... Glen is awesome...

7. JereSG

JereSG Member

Saw them twice in one week in 2014. Have seen them many times before, including once in the late 2000s with Testament, Motorhead, and Heaven and Hell (Black Sabbath with Dio). :dude:

8. Paddy

Paddy New Member

Bernard Sumner of 'Joy Division.'
    Frank Zappa.
    Robbie Krieger of 'The Doors.'

9. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I suppose my avatar is a dead giveaway, but it will always be Iommi. Black Sabbath is the primary reason I care about music...they are the beginning and end for me.

syscokid and fahad187 like this.
  10. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

To be honest the first person who comes to mind for me is Angus Young, followed by Tony Iommi and finally Frank Zappa.

Retrop likes this.
  11. Doodoo Meister

Doodoo Meister Member

Angus Young - why I have two SGs. Tommy Iomi played a SG in concerts but I read somewhere he used a strat for Studio work.

Karathas likes this.
  12. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Angus Young and Derek Trucks.

xland likes this.
  13. colchar

colchar Member

Angus
    Iommi
    Tipton
    Kreiger
    Trucks
    Betts (the SG he later gave to Duane)

Karathas likes this.
  14. gball

gball Well-Known Member

He was a Strat player early on (and in the Jetho Tull vids he is seen with a white one). When Black Sabbath when into the studio to record their first album the SG was there as a backup, and he started tracking the record with his Strat. Partially into the sessions the neck pickup of the Strat died, and as replacements were hard to find in those days and he relied primarily on the neck pickup for his sound, he switched to the SG backup for the rest of the album and a legend was born. He realized that the SG was "his" sound and he has used them pretty much exclusively since, both in the studio and live.

If you go back and listen to the first album its pretty easy to make out what is Strat and what is SG. The tone of the Strat is weaksauce compared to the SG.

Dave_Death likes this.
  15. Jimmy Jacks

He also said the Strat was the first left handed guitar he could get his hands on. Then he found the SG and as gball said found his sound.

16. JereSG

JereSG Member

:hmm: Well, there is some truth to this statement in that you are not going to get the POWER of an SG from a Strat BUT I love the Strat sound. I can't imagine certain songs without the Strat. Jimi wouldn't be Jimi. Also, most guitars, if used properly, can exert power. Rage Against the Machine's "Killing In the Name Of" was recorded with a TELECASTER! Soundgarden's 4th of July (AWEEEESSSOME SONG) was created with a Telecaster as well!

That being said ... I know what you're saying :cheers:

gball and Jimmy Jacks like this.
  17. Dale

Dale Active Member

Angus, Tony and Santana.

18. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

image.jpg
    Liz from Electric Wizard

19. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath), Angus Young (AC/DC), and Peter Black (Hard-Ons) are the three I think of instantly.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  20. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

She's got her bridge pickup in back to front, presumably to make it more bassy/woofy