Attaching a Maestro/Lyre Tailpiece to a 61 RI - Like Derek Trucks'

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by woodrow886, Nov 29, 2012.

1. woodrow886

woodrow886 New Member

As the title suggests.

I'm considering buying a Maestro/Lyre Tremolo so that I can bling up my new 61 RI when it arrives. Not decided for certain if I'll do this yet though.

However, I don't want the functioning tremolo arm and am looking to merely put the Tailpiece on my guitar so it's like the Derek Trucks SG model.

I did a search and found an old thread where someone done the same and used double sided adhesive tape to attach this to their SG. I think I recall that the guy didn't want to put holes in his guitar and was hoping to retain resale value. However, others in the thread suggested he bite the bullet and screw the tailpiece into the guitar.

Like the chap in the other thread, I would like to retain the level of choice of being able to revert back to not having the tailpiece if necessary. In addition to the double sided adhesive tape method of fixture, are their any other ways folks have thought of doing this with minimally affecting the finish on the guitar?

Also, how easy would it be to remove adhesive type residues?

Mine is a Heritage Cherry (Not Satin).

Thanks

W.

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Mod in haste, repent ad nauseum !

"I'm considering buying a Maestro/Lyre Tremolo so that I can bling up my new 61 RI when it arrives. Not decided for certain if I'll do this yet though.:hmm:
    However, I don't want the functioning tremolo arm and am looking to merely put the Tailpiece on my guitar so it's like the Derek Trucks SG model. ":hmm:
    You don't want a tremolo, and you don't even know if you want to keep the tailpiece, because it might affect the resale value or you might not like it, right ? The guitar under discussion hasn't arrived yet and you already want to "bling" it ? Bit impulsive, are we ?:laugh2:
    I highly recommend that you unpack your new 61 RI, tune it, play it and be awed by its beauty and functionality for at least a week and then have the good sense to leave that beauty alone for at least a year, during which time you will almost undoubtedly have purchased at least one more SG, perhaps a pre-owned, to mess about with .Who knows, you might even find a Derek Trucks on Ebay, though why anyone wants the tailpiece w/o the tremolo is beyond me . :dunno:Biddlin ;>)/

Alex_SG likes this.
  3. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

Supposedly, the added tailpiece helps with neck/body balance. Whether or not every SG needs the help is another story... :hmm:

4. Biddlin

Then really mod that bad boy !

[​IMG]This would be a more novel mod, covering less wood and could be easily modified to fit snugly and be functional by curving the bracket and mounting under the aft strap peg . Biddlin ;>)/

tolm likes this.
  5. Biddlin

BTW: Love Derek to death, but all that unstrung tin on the back is just more stuff to rattle . Biddlin ;>)/

6. woodrow886

woodrow886 New Member

Thanks Biddlin

Don't worry, I'm not going to do anything rash. Like you said, I'll probably use it for a year and then decide. Regarding aesthetics, I think a Lyre tailpiece, with functioning tremolo or not, 'is' pretty cool looking. Perhaps just a matter of taste I guess. I just found some Angus Young with his tremolo arm removed on Youtube earlier.

That other tailpiece you posted a pic of got me thinking about attachment methods. Thanks.

Thanks Skelt101. I read this somewhere else too. Probably subjective eh? :hmm:

Cheers guys

W.

7. Biddlin

"Regarding aesthetics, I think a Lyre tailpiece, with functioning tremolo or not, 'is' pretty cool looking."
    I agree on the looks, I just insist on the functionality!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Alex_SG and BlackSG91 like this.
  8. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

"I highly recommend that you unpack your new 61 RI, tune it, play it and be awed by its beauty and functionality for at least a week and then have the good sense to leave that beauty alone for at least a year, during which time you will almost undoubtedly have purchased at least one more SG, perhaps a pre-owned, to mess about with .Who knows, you might even find a Derek Trucks on Ebay, though why anyone wants the tailpiece w/o the tremolo is beyond me . :dunno:Biddlin ;>)/ "

AMEN BROTHER, AMEN

I own the DT SG and I love the guitar, the pick-ups, the large headstock (61'), the absent of the pick-guard and the tail piece. This guitar is the ultimate tone machine, excellent blues and old 60' and 70's rock. If I had to reduce my collection to one SG, this will be the one keep. I hope that never happens.

Here is a Pic
    [​IMG]

9. tolm

tolm Active Member

I think we all know where I'm going with this one ...

[​IMG]

That is all! :)

10. woodrow886

woodrow886 New Member

Nice guitar Tolm. Looks a bit Mick Taylor-esque?

Biddlin and DFLCC....I've been looking at your albums and getting SG GAS. That's all I need at this time of year. ;)

W.

11. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Here's a pic of my 69 SG Standard with the original Lyre Vibrola set up.

[​IMG]

Talk about bling! Ya can barely look at it in the sunshine. Beyond that, this guitar hangs balanced and those old Vibrolas hold tune real nice due to the old school spring steel used to make them. The newer reproductions don't seem to be as tight feeling or return to pitch as well. That is something to keep in mind should you ever decide to go with a functional Lyre Vibrola.

Honestly, as far as usability & playability goes, you cant beat the old school Vibrolas. Check out some of those Frank Martino vids. He really gets to using them pretty intensly while maintaining great tone & pitch.

The shame of it all is that making a Vibrola functional on your 61 reissue is gonna put a coupe of extra holes in it. Yall don't need that unless you are hellbent & determined that a real vibrola is what you want.

As far as sticking that big shiny hunk of tail piece on there and not having it be functional aside from some weight counterbalance, why not try it with that two sided tape or even a two piece velcro which might hold it longer, and like Biddlin mentioned, makes sure things don't vibrate & rattle around. That velcro adhesive comes off easy enough & would probably hold it longer than two sided tape, unless they got some real highly adhesive new fangled stuff out there I ain't come across yet. I mean, what the heck man, a little tape ain't going to ruin things is it?

Anybody out there think a little tape adhesive is going to ruin this 61 RI's finish or should get in the way of this here fella from making it the guitar he dreams of having? I mean we are talking tape adhesive, not screw holes. Making our guitars how we like them is a right of passage of sorts. It makes each guitar unique and represents the owners artistic feelings.

tolm likes this.