Authentic or Counterfeit LP?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Erium, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Erium

Erium New Member

I constantly browse the local Craigslist in my area for new guitars. There is a "Slash Anaconda Burst" LP for sale in my area for I think 2100 dollars or something. I was genuinely considering starting to save to purchase this guitar but then I saw the headstock. It's extremely subtle but I think the top portion looks a tiny bit, how best to put it... different? Any input? Maybe I am just seeing things. The more I look at it the more authentic it looks.

https://houston.craigslist.org/msg/d/gibson-les-paul-limited/6685870493.html

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Scamola. Not even a real good copy. He doesn't show anything you need to see like the bridge posts and fret ends. He takes lo-res pics so you can't enlarge them to see detail.
    Sad to say, I see more fakes than real on Houston's craigslist. 'nuff said!

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I dunno, but posts seem OK small to me.

You can always ask for more photos, like the back of the headstock with serial number and close-up of bridge, fret ends like Biddlin suggests.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. If it's not fake, he might not know he needs to show all those details.

It's a looker for sure though !

Untitled-1.jpg

4. Biddlin

[​IMG]
    if that's your thing, I guess. The posts look slotted to me, metal seem s too shiny and the [​IMG]
    Looks off, but again look at all the things he did to make it impossible to see sharp detail. Also notice how careful he is never to give a view of the nibs.
    Slash plays similar guitars and they aren't Gibsons, either.

5. papagayo

papagayo Active Member

Is the back of Slash Anaconda black ? Not sure ...

6. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

Honestly, I can’t see anything out of the ordinary.
    But! Do your homework first and even ask on the Les Paul forum.

7. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I would NEVER pay that much money to a stranger on the internet,
    for any guitar. If the seller wants to sell to people who know what they
    are doing, then he will show a clear picture of the serial number and
    allow you to verify the instrument with Gibson.

It's that simple.

It doesn't have to be a mystery. If it's a mystery, then report it and
    move away from the whole scene. The best way to buy a guitar is from
    a reputable dealer. You might pay a bit more, but you'll know what you
    are getting.

There are so many great guitars for sale, which are no more and no less
    than they seem.... There is no reason even to consider one that looks wonky in
    any way. Because there are more fake Les Pauls out there for sale than ever,
    and the swindlers are getting better.

If you enjoy the excitement of the pursuit on CL, and you've got $2100 to blow
    on a Les Paul, then you owe it to yourself to study the fake guitar industry, and
    turn yourself into an expert on the subject, and keep your knowledge current.
    If the seller of the guitar you posted can't show accurate details that prove his
    offering is legitimate, just step away.

Six Stringed Demon and Girl_Rock like this.
  8. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Member

I perfectly agree with you.
    I personally don't trust those websites which sell you guitars, I prefer seeing what I'm going to buy.
    I don't know this model... And that guitar seems to be ok... The logos too... Have you tryed to ask more photos? Expecially the series numer.

I looked at different Anaconda Bursts on the Internet and this is the back I found:

Slash_Anaconda_Burst.png

It's wood, not black...
    However it could be that the photo is low quality and seems black but maybe it's not.

Think about it before buy it.

9. Biddlin

[​IMG]
    Authenticated Gibson Slash Anaconda clear finish back. Custom Shop logo on switch cover.
    [​IMG]
    black finish no logo[​IMG]
    Authenticated Anaconda headstock:Gibson inlay further from tuners, vintage tuners

[​IMG]
    this headstock looks too short and has modern 10 mm tuners and the trc is right on top of the nut.

smitty_p likes this.
  10. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Gibson USA Anaconda Burst. Looks legit to me :thumb:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No, it's not the custom shop version. It's the Gibson USA version :thumb:

smitty_p and SG standard like this.
  11. Wildeman

Wildeman Active Member

I smell Chibson.

12. Six Stringed Demon

Six Stringed Demon Active Member

Hmmm.... this is always an interesting discussion. To Chib or not to Chib.

So I deal with buying and selling guitars a lot, mostly Norlin and older, but on occasion if a good new/Custom comes my way, I’ll give it a look over. This ad can go both ways.

The pics of the Guitar and the opinions being offered could be coinciding, but I’m leaning towards real. And here’s why.

1. I always check and Craigslist ad pics against Reverb because at any given time, there is 5-6 Guitars on Reverb to match the one on Craigslist. In this instance I found this Guitar listing: https://reverb.com/item/14789545-20...Z6cLeee2woMchoCUo8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1
    Now... this isn’t to say the Craigslist ad is real or fake, but as anyone knows, Gibson wood varies and not all their guitars (even custom shop) are the same all the time.

2. I have seen 2 legitimate “black” back Anacondas.

3. The guy had the case candy (all the tags) that “could” be replicated, but a whole lotta hassle for a $2000 Guitar.

4. The switch cover... if you have ever bought a custom shop Les Paul, you’d know they usually come with 2 switch covers. One custom shop, one plain. This is to keep the Custom Shop one pristine if you choose to play your Les Paul.

So here’s what I would do. Contact him, ask for clear pics of the Certificate of Authenticity with the serial number (that is on that card) and a pic of the serial number itself. Make sure it matches and then call Gibson directly. You can run the serial number yourself but I think Gibson has started to differentiate the custom shop numbers. They can tell you more about the black back anacondas too.

I’ve seen a ton of fakes and this one doesnt match the scammer buys I’ve seen.

At the end of the day, if you go look at it (since it’s Craigslist so buyer beware), ask the guy to meet you at a reputable guitar store and no, Guitar Center is not. You want a store where they know their stuff and they can eyeball a fake. (Most) Guitar Centers can’t even get a set-up right.

Notabot, Daniel.S and Girl_Rock like this.