back o' the neck

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Horax, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Horax

Horax Active Member

On vintag SG's (60-69 ish specifically), is the back of hte neck ALWAYS cherry?

For example, I have a 68 Jr that I picked up in bad condition, it has since been refinished in Pelham Blue. Yummy!

Anyway, the body was painted black and the back of the neck was cherry or bare mahogany.
    Is this normal, or would that imply that the color was originally the cherry option?

image3.jpeg image4.jpeg finsihed_5_new.jpeg

2. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Are you sure that's a '68? Looking at the pickguard, bridge, and vibrato, screams '65! Unless a special order, I think all Juniors of that year were all Cherry.

3. Horax

Horax Active Member

image2.jpeg

Here is the serial number.
    I had it as a 66 actually, don't know why I typed 68...but anyway, Gibson said it was either a 66 or a 68, they weren't sure.
    the bigsby was added later. Everything else is original except hte tuners.

syscokid likes this.
  4. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

FWIW, current serial database shows 65 or 68. Frickin database... :rolleyes:. I would rule out 68. I think 1966 was the transitional year where the neck and heel changed to a flush taper at the sides, and the pickguard was enlarged. So your probably right about it being a '66. And, originally cherry! Love Pelham blue!

5. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

looks to me like the original cherry finish on the neck was removed and then resprayed?unless the red has totally faded naturally..