Baltimore, just got my first SG!

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by dsk76, Jan 24, 2018.

1. dsk76

dsk76 New Member

Been looking for a 24 fret sg with a neck p90, and finally pulled the trigger on this super purple 2014 futura. I freaking love it! Took a minute to get used to the neck dive, but the right strap has helped. Now my Les Paul feels uncomfortably heavy and thick.

Layne Matz likes this.
  2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Hey, welcome, and great choice of SG! :) I was very tempted by these in 2014, and would've gone for that colour (though there were some great alternatives on that model too). The combination of P90 & humbucker is pretty cool - they don't offer it enough on SGs...

IIRC, there's a boost circuit in there too - must be pretty versatile.

...and before anyone else says it; we need to see pics!

3. dsk76

dsk76 New Member

here is my first pic. There is a 15 db boost switch on the pickguard. Its kind of cool for clean playing, but doesn't do much against overdrive/distortion. Also both pickups have coil tapping, so lots of things to push and pull, etc.

Attached Files:

4. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

Beautiful. I'd paint some black smoky swirls across it... But thats me.

What amp are you playing through?

I'd really listen to the minor differences between tapped an untapped coils...

5. dsk76

dsk76 New Member

Around here, everyone wants me to put a Ravens logo on it...pass.

Play it through a Fender Deluxe, but I've been shopping around for something a bit more British and low watt. Tried a 15 watt Marshall that was OK, but I liked the Blackstar HT-5R better.

Its been super fun the play with all the combinations, I like the single coil version of the neck pickup the best so far.