Bare Knuckle JB-pups.

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Bettyboo, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Bare Knuckle Pickups Online Shop
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Order Number: XXXXXX

Detailed Order Information:
    https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=account_history_info&order_id=xxxxx
    Date Ordered: Sunday 23 October, 2016
    Comments: royal mail;
    www.royalmail.com
    rnxxxxxxx
    Insured
    Your order has been updated to the following status:
    New status: Despatched

With the pound at its current low rate which meant $130 for the J-set delivered, I couldn't help meself. https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=bass&sub=vintage&pickup=60_hf&series=j_bass

I've found meself playing the Jazz bass a lot and really enjoying it. The Ibanez is fine and fun and very easy to hold/play, but clanky and kinda lacking some of the soul of the jazz bass(?), so I've ordered up some flat wounds... The standard Wilkinson pickups in the Ultra cheap jazz bass are very decent, but lack some punch and musicality (or maybe that's my playing...).

&, Bare Knuckle pups always sound so good to my ears that I've wanted to try out a set for a good while now. I'll update, maybe with before and after sound clips, once the pups have been in for a few days.

Gahr likes this.
  2. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I'm sure they will be very nice pickups. Remember though that their bass pickups are in many ways replicas of vintage Fender pickups so they won't have the output of some of the more modern pickups like Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounds. BKP don't have a high-output range of bass pickups. These should give you a very sweet classic sound as nice as the best vintage instruments

syscokid and Bettyboo like this.
  3. Bettyboo

Yep, that's pretty much what I was hoping for, Dave. If I start gigging (we will move to a proper rehearsal studio soon; have about half the set done, so maybe look for some gigs within 6-8 weeks) and need more power then there's a great sounding (and not too pricey) Mesa Boogie preamp pedal just come out. I've wanted a Mesa Boogie amp for years, but they're well beyond my means...

I know you've always rated BK, and the clips I've heard just sound clearer, more defined and sweeter than other pickups - I really should've picked up a P90 when I went for the Gibson and Railhammer P90s (which both sound fine themselves.).

I've moved my bass skills onto the delight of playing around with major and minor 7ths along the neck which can be loads of fun and easy to find basslines/riffs by just playing around adhoc. I find technique and pulling music together easier and more fun on the bass.

Dave_Death likes this.
  4. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Personally I haven't found preamp pedals like the MXR M-80 and the Sansamp to be very good. If you have a Jazz I would recommend taking a closer look at the Audere Pro JZ3 active preamp (onboard) with 4-band EQ and stacked Vol/Vol pot. I have one in my Jazz and absolutely love it. When it is set to the detente position it is the same as having a Fender passive volume and tone stack full up, below that is cut, and above it is boost. The low mid / high mid and Z-filter are very useful for getting a range of sounds. Not cheap (certainly no cheaper than a pedal) but it has the benefit of replacing all of the cheap wiring

https://www.audereaudio.com/pro-jz3-vv-4b-chrome.html

They also make this version with a six-position rotary Z-filter selector if you have a Jazz with a side-mounted jack

https://www.audereaudio.com/pro-jz6d-vv-4b-chrome.html

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Bettyboo likes this.
  5. Bettyboo

Funnily enough, I've been looking at the same for the Ibanez (down the line) with some new pickups too - great bass, but it needs flatwounds, a preamp upgrade and pups upgrade - the stock stuff is fine, and the preamp is great for variety and control, but not amazing sound quality.

We are looking at practice rooms and gigs, and as you've probably found, the guitar kit is decent, but the bass kit is under maintained and kinda an afterthought. So, particularly, as I wanna mostly play the jazz bass at the momet, I'm gonna pick one of these up so that I can just go directly into the desk or the power section of an amp with the sound I want:

I love the Mesa sound, and this DI is amazingly good to my ears.