Bargain or bust?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by WinteredPear, Nov 11, 2019.

1. WinteredPear

WinteredPear New Member

Hi all

SG noob (but long-time Les Paul player) here, asking if any SG experts could help me work out if this one is worth a look:

(web link goes in here)

It looks to be in very good condition given its age. Is it really a 75? My research leads me to believe it might actually be a little older. And was this a good era for SGs, or a bad one? The price in US dollars works out at around $1,540 if that helps. Thanks for reading!

ventura likes this.
  2. WinteredPear

WinteredPear New Member

Won't let me paste the web link... search Reverb on: gibson sg special walnut mini humbuckers 1975 walnut

ventura likes this.
  3. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

billmurrayrecast.jpg
    "I'm sorry, I'm just not getting any reading."

4. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Not a model most people want. But if it’s something you dig?

Those necks tend to be narrow at the nut. That might be a thing for you...maybe not.

ventura likes this.
  5. WinteredPear

WinteredPear New Member

Narrow at the nut is fine - small hands! If I buy it, the first thing I'm going to do is put a Bigsby on it. Good idea?

ventura likes this.
  6. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Maybe. Maybe not.

Bigsby’s can be super tweaky. They can make some shifts in the geometry of the guitar which CAN cause tuning problems that are hard to chase down.

They can also be super stable. It really depends on the specific guitar.

For example: We’ve got a really good luthier in town that’s really good with bigsby's. I bought a 6128t that came with a bigsby from the factory. And he and I tried everything.

That guitar Would not stay in tune. Could not be made to stay in tune. Changed the nut, tried every kind of bridge (roller, rocker, graphite) tried different bigsby’s. No luck. Swapped the bigsby out for a G trapeze... complete fix.

It happens. Not all the time. But it can happen.

ventura likes this.
  7. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

Sounds kinda pricey to me but not a model I'm really lusting after. If its any reference I paid less for a '74 Standard that is in really nice shape.

ventura likes this.
  8. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

Also a good option if you want mini-humbuckers and plan on a bigsby install is a newer faded Special with the mini-hums. Ive seen them in almost new condition for $700ish USD.

ventura likes this.
  9. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

+1 on the idea of getting a newer guitar (less expensive and less distinguished)
    as a mod platform.

Too many "vintage" guitars have been ruthlessly butchered.
    The only reason to buy an old one (IMHO) is if you want what that instrument can do.
    You pay a premium price for unmodified vintage guitars, and if you then start drilling
    holes in it and screwing on hardware, it's not a smart move. You could buy a '70s Gibson
    that others had already ripped apart, and installed the Bad Ass bridge and the Dimarzio
    distortion p'ups and the heavy grover tuners, & whatever else was popular back then
    but I don't think there's any advantage.

I have a 2012 SG with mini hums, and love the tone, there are plenty of them on the
    used market and it's a much better instrument to use as a starting point in your quest
    for tone.

ventura and Chuteboxehero like this.