Bass OD/DI

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Bettyboo, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

I bought a Dr.J effects Sparrow Driver & DI for bass because I wanted a DI option, an OD/eq option for my passive bass and a fuzz/OD option.

I looked at stuff from MXR, but didn't particularly like the sound clips or the way they worked. I looked at lots of DI preamps, but they are expensive - I did order up a Mesa Boogie DI/preamp, but the sneaky bastards didn't actually have it in stock, so I cancelled and decided to try something cheap. Dr.J seem to be the 'high-end' part of Joyo.

The pedal came today (took a week from China to Korea) and is well made. It looks fine to me; simple, well put together and solid. They could've put a battery in it, but at $65 delivered... The light is very bright.

bassOD1.jpg

bassOD2.jpg

bassOD3.jpg

First impressions are good.

Plugged in (using it on a battery): it doesn't have massive and/or wild range, just quite narrow but usable. With the drive down low or upto half the pedal is silent; as the gain goes up it gets noisier as you'd expect, not bad.

The volume works with the drive knob and can get good volume, so you can use the pedal as a boost if you want - that might be useful.

The OD/gain is just a light fuzzy boost, quite nice - could be used as an always on thickener or on more dynamic settings as a crunch channel.

The mix does exactly as you'd imagine, but with the mix above halfway you start to loose note definition which'd be fine for some styles of music (when I'm doing punkier stuff). I kept the mix at about quarter way while practicing stuff for the band which the lead singer calls 'power pop' - and yes, I hate that name/genre too, so I might have to punk up my playing style a bit in subtle ways...

The low and high knobs are eq knobs, but they don't seem to be centered exactly, so I set them both at 1 O'clock which seemed to give me parity with the pedal off settings. The low full on is very farty, but usable for three quarters of the range. The high brings in highs and might be useful to cut into the mix - nice to have these eq options.

The harmonies knob: I've read that it's a presence knob, but I'm not sure how to explain that! I'm open to education here by you folks. Anyways, it sounds nice, kinda adds sweetness, a bit of balance between notes. For example, I was playing root/5ths through an E D C G progression, and it adds something nice and musical; an improvement over the standard tone for sure, but I can't really explain it - it kinda sweetens the alternate second notes (5th). I like this knob halfway.

The DI: I haven't tried it yet.

These are the settings I've found nice for the songs I was playing today - power pop!

bassOD4.jpg

Here's a short video review:

I like it.

Cheap. Decent quality. Various uses. Small and will fit in a gigbag.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    eS.G. likes this.
  2. Bettyboo

Here's a better demo:

eS.G. likes this.
  3. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Very Cool Boo. Glad to see you are fully embracing the dark arts ;)

Bettyboo likes this.
  4. Bettyboo

^ Thanks e.S.G.

It's just a simple little DI that will come in very handy for recording/gigs which also offers boost/OD/eq functionality - all at $65.

5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

VERy cool.
    I picked this up for 15.00 or maybe 20. I dont remember......its not as cool as yours.....but it is suposed to allow me to patch straight into the computer and record ........though I have yet to try it for fear of blowing up the interwebs....or my ancient hp 635 laptop lol

[​IMG]

Bettyboo likes this.
  6. Bettyboo

There's one of those bloody 'presence' knobs again - I wonder what they do...

7. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Bettyboo likes this.
  8. Bettyboo

^ from your link:

For those who are wondering what the “presence”control on a guitar amplifier does, here’s the answer:

It controls “presence.”

:wow:

But, it gets better:

More specifically, your amp’s presence control boosts upper-mid and treble frequencies in a specific manner that makes the tone sound notably livelier; a little “wilder” than normal. The quality of this livelier, wilder tone is typically described as being more “present,” thus the name.

:D

Then it goes on:

Your amp’s traditional tone controls—“bass,” “mid” and “treble”—reside in the preamp stage and thus accomplish their work before the signal reaches the power amp. These tone controls are generally “subtractive”—that is, they don’t boost anything; they control the amount of frequency band removed from the signal.

The presence control, on the other hand, resides in the power amp stage. Technically, it’s a “high frequency shelving boost” control, which is much like the treble control on a traditional stereo. Turning it up actually does boost part of the frequency band.

So, the presence control on my preamp resides in the power amp?

:hmm:

9. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Could it be that it simply boosts the treble signal?

10. Bettyboo

It seems more subtle than that, Gahr, at least on this pedal. It's called Harmonies on the Dr.J pedal, and it does seem to link into harmonics, by sweetening them up some how. On a single note I'm not noticing much difference. the difference seems to be how notes relate to each other. &, no, I don't know what I'm talking about... :D

11. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Hehe. But does it make you sound good? If so, all is well!

12. Bettyboo

Yeah, it does sound nice.

This is the ending from e.S.G.'s link, and it seems to be a nice sum up:

When playing an amp cleanly, increasing the presence control simply results in more upper midrange and treble.

When pushing an amp into distortion, though, the presence control behaves differently. It changes the “texture” of the distortion and adds complexity to the sound, making the amp feel a little “less predictable” for higher notes.

As you can see then, the function of the presence control varies with volume. The louder you play, the more it does and the more noticeable it becomes.