Battle-worn '74 SG II

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by Mephistopheles, Sep 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles New Member

Greetings, People of the Horns. I am interested to hear any of your opinions and observations about this guitar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Gibson...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I did some cursory research, and see this was part of a "budget" series of SG's of the era: SG I (one pickup), SG II (two pickups), and SG III (two pickups in a sunburst finish). http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/SGII.php

The guitar sold for $259, which is $1280 in 2016 dollars.

These guitars are apparently made from Alder, and have a reduced headstock angle. The former doesn't concern me, but doesn't the latter affect sustain?

This one has some aftermarket hardware, but original pickups. Do you concur those look like original pickups? What are your thoughts on 70's mini-humbuckers?

It has some battle scars, and one of the horns was seriously damaged. The repair job looks less than professional IMO.

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

If your amp has enough gain on tap, sustain will not be an issue.

Those pickups do look stock. My experience with mini-humbuckers is with a recent model SG. I do like how they sound, but not certain how they compare to older versions.

An SG with battle scars does not bother me. I buy used and do not expect them to be show pieces. My favorite SG has evidence of doing battle in the past. It plays and sounds great which is all that matters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Mephistopheles likes this.
  3. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG!

Early '70s SGs (especially the SG 1 and SG ll) have been regarded (by some) as the low point of all Gibson guitars... The design was changed by Norlin Corporation's new management geniuses, and no one has ever forgiven them for it. This is not a guitar you could flip and make a quick profit. We see a lot of posts about early '70s SGs, they seem to be the only "vintage" Gibson that a normal individual might
    ever even see, let alone be able to afford to own and play.

These guitars are somewhat rehabilitated in public opinion by now, and many players are willing to admit that some great music was made on them. Finding one that has not been modded is unusual, and not to be expected. Of all "Vintage" guitars, these are likely the least desirable... and that is reflected in the asking price.

Five hundred seems reasonable. You'd want to check carefully to make sure the headstock has not been broken off, and glued back on. Even if it was, if the repair was done correctly it would not hurt the playability of the guitar, only the monetary value.

But if you've got $500 to spend, why not get a recent used SG faded special? One of those would be no more and no less than it seems. It would work properly and give great service. It would have a lot fewer question marks... And it would sound better and feel better and everything better... IMHO.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

That SG is 43 years old. I know people that age that are way more damaged than that SG.

Mephistopheles and SG standard like this.
  5. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I have a 1975 SG II. $500 seems to be a fair price. The pickups are original. I always thought the body was mahogany, but I might be mistaken. The neck is thick as nobody's business on the one i have, but the fretboard is really narrow. It's like a cross between a baseball bat and a toothpick! The minihums are very bright, but I definitely have a soft spot for this guitar. I don't play it much these days, but it was my main guitar for 20 years...

Since the pics were taken I have swapped the tuners (two of which were broken) for an original set of metal three-on-a-plate ones, and I also swapped the original bridge for an aged wraparound compensated for an unwound G. Here it is in all it's ragged glory:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles New Member

Thank you everyone.

I am myself almost 43, being a late '74 myself. I am interested in the guitar along those lines. And this is a lot more affordable than, say, a '74 Fender bass (which also a time of quality changes for that company).

The comment that tends to lose my interest is the one about the neck being thick. The thing that I liked most about my '62 reissue (1980's manufacture) was the neck, followed closely by the sound. To me, the main appeal of Gibsons are the necks. If the SG II neck is substantially thicker than the 60's reissues, I'll pass on that guitar.

I think it's fortunate that there are some "off years" that can occupy a space as vintage, player instruments. But I've got to have that thin SG neck, so I'll probably look at other models.