Beginning Again

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by BillyHunt, Jan 19, 2019.

1. BillyHunt

BillyHunt New Member

Hi all.
    I've been lurking a while now so thought it was time to sign up and introduce myself. My guitar history is minimal but here's the back story. I bought A Yamaha Pacifica 112 (wish I'd kept it) and A Washburn Semi Acoustic back in my twenties. I tried to teach myself out of books as the internet was in its infancy those days. However, as with a lot of beginners, I'm ashamed to say I was weak and barre chords got the better of me. There was no way I was ever going to get my pinkie to do as I wanted, so interest waned and the guitars became dust catchers. I sold the Yamaha on, but a little voice told me to hang on to the acoustic. Fast forward 23 years to October 2018, and an itch appeared that needed scratching. Was I really going to let an 'F' chord beat me? The acoustic was buried deep in its hard case, but there were rumblings from within. It wanted out, and in the absence of a winter hobby to get me through the long nights, I relented.
    To my surprise, all the open chords came back to me without trouble, so it was time to tackle the mountain that is 'F'.
    Happy to report that progress was swift. I had stumbled upon a method to learning guitar. It's called practice. I don't know why I didn't think of it 20 odd years ago, but it really works, and I'm now loving the journey. I've even got my head (and fingers) around a few scale patterns, so even as a 52 year old semi-beginner, I look forward to the day when I can muster the confidence to jam with others. Well, that's a bit about me. Enough rambling. I look forward to participating in discussions, at least from a humble beginners perspective anyway.
    Billy

Oh, did I mention I bought an Epi G400 Pro? It's a thing of beauty to me, and gets played every day.

SG-1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Girl_Rock, SG standard, Ray and 6 others like this.
  2. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

Beauty! Have fun with it!
    Edit: Oh yeah. So how long will it take till you’ll want a Gibson? ;)

BillyHunt likes this.
  3. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Welcome. I also have a G400. Don’t play it every day, but it’s still one of my favorites. Especially when I’m in a rock-it-out kinda mood.

BillyHunt likes this.
  4. BillyHunt

BillyHunt New Member

Thanks for the welcome.
    :smile:
    Indeed. Although I have a hankering for a hollowbody next. My good lady can't understand why anyone needs more than one guitar! "It's an addiction love" "There's no known cure" :D
    An ES-335 would be nice, but I need to justify it by learning to play better first!

fos1 and Daniel.S like this.
  5. fos1

fos1 Member

Welcome. I'm with you. Back to playing after MANY years. I'm still struggling with barre chords! I'm working my way through Stairway to Heaven with an excellent instructor. He is patient and has cast iron ears! ;)

A cherry red SG warms my heart...

Jeff

BillyHunt likes this.
  6. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Welcome!

BillyHunt likes this.
  7. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Congrats! Excellent choice of guitar to start relearning on. In the words of Steppenwolf: It's never too late to start all over again!

Ray, fos1 and BillyHunt like this.
  8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

HIya, BH. Sweet guit you've got, and it's great that you're hittin' it every day, that's the way to progress.

BillyHunt likes this.
  9. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Practice works eventually what a shocking revelation!